• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodchat Shrike - France (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
So two questions

Lovely walk and picnic in Argeles - I had wanted to go migration watching but the cloud was in and I couldn't see my nose!

I was literally on the phone to my dad saying the earliest i had seen a Woodchat in this area was the 24/07 a few years back when there was an adult Woodchat, then a second then two juvs.

The question about the adults is can you differentiate between the sexes? I'm thinking that the clearer bird is the female it looks a little browner int he tail area and the head pattern. Apologies for the quality of the second picture - it's awful but does seem to show blacker band...

As for the Juvs, and bizarely was exactly the same question I asked a couple of years ago and bizarely in exactly the same spot, The seocnd bird is clearly Woodchat for me but juv 1 shows an extremely red back although the bill is a monster! The previous birds were all confirmed as Woodchats...

NB Should point out that NO territories have been confirmed for our region although they are regular birds... I'm convinced they breed here which this would suggest.

Attachments

• woodchat 29 07 adult.JPG
    woodchat 29 07 adult.JPG
    328.5 KB · Views: 40
  • woodchat 29 07 adult 2.JPG
    woodchat 29 07 adult 2.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 28
  • woodchat 29 07 juv 1.JPG
    woodchat 29 07 juv 1.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 54
  • woodchat 29 07 juv 2.JPG
    woodchat 29 07 juv 2.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hi Rosbifs
sexing adults is pretty easy with much redder chestnut head and black tail feathers in male
As to the juvies, these 2 do not show the bold white pattern on median coverts and scapulars, so both look Red-backed to my eyes with no 1 with a prey in the bill

A genuine request as it is ages since I've seen any juvenile shrikes, but shouldn't Woodchat show a pale base to the primaries and a pale band across the scapulars?

Last edited:
Darn it - attention to detail. I guess it was a little auto suggestion and I was going on lighter colour on the second bird - at least I got the other right! Didn't check the wing pattern for the panel - for one...

As for the adults I was trying to get closer to the first bird when saw second adult so I didn't get a better view or picture - I was then concentrating on the juvs.

Darn it - attention to detail. I guess it was a little auto suggestion and I was going on lighter colour on the second bird - at least I got the other right! Didn't check the wing pattern for the panel - for one...

As for the adults I was trying to get closer to the first bird when saw second adult so I didn't get a better view or picture - I was then concentrating on the juvs.

Don't give up your quest though, a feather in your cap(;)) the day you prove breeding up there!

Could the monster bill be because it's holding food?
Keep the good birds until 29 Aug!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back