• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Here's more pictures from the site, this has to be Henry, just delivered a fish to EJ who few off to eat it. No orange ring

Attachments

• video1.jpg
    video1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 93
  • video2.jpg
    video2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 89
  • video3.jpg
    video3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 77
  • video4.jpg
    video4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I do feel sorry for EJ I have not seen orange bring one fish to her today she has been sitting patiently in the feeding tree looking round.

Colin said:
Great idea and thank you. If you do not get a satisfactory response, I will email them too.

This was the reply from Sandy, Colin. I'll go and read the updated pages now!

Hello Sandra,

Sadly, it is not possible to provide daily updates because this is a remote area and we do not have the volunteering resources to cover this. However, the far more fundamental reason is that the birds are not always so active and some days could be summarised by writing "Henry caught two trout, offered one to EJ" and this is not very interesting. Whereas, we can gather a few observations together and let the birds write the script for the next episode. What I can tell you is that it is Orange VS that is currently present and Henry is displaying his usual prerogative to be late despite the fact that most male ospreys arrive first.

Regards

Ian Peters - Wildlife Advisor

An old BF'er

Hey, that Ian Peters used to post on here until a carry on with gamekeepers or something. He always had top info so it is a shame he feels he can't post nowadays.

Things are beginning a critical phase now. EJ has been back 12 days and in theory could be laying eggs any day now. Is this going to be 2005 all over again?

Its not like Henry to be this late I hope he is safe. Orange needs a kick up the backside he is not looking after EJ.
How EJ will go on if she lays and he doesn't turn up with food we will have to wait and see, I just hope she has enough body reserves to cope.

Hurry up back Henry!

Saphire said:
Its not like Henry to be this late I hope he is safe. Orange needs a kick up the backside he is not looking after EJ.
How EJ will go on if she lays and he doesn't turn up with food we will have to wait and see, I just hope she has enough body reserves to cope.

Hurry up back Henry!
Well if memory serves me right he returned

2004 4th April
2005 25th April
2006 10th April

Now in 2005 he was near dead.

He was nearly dead, very weak but he still looked after EJ, I think there were no chicks but the bond they have became even stronger. That year showed him as the superstar he is, if only I hadn't lost all the stuff on my PC last year. There is still time the Bassenthwaite pair don't seem to be back yet either.

We have to keep hoping. I know of one American Osprey (tagged of course) who likes travelling. exploring I guess as he has doubled his migration journey twice, they had christened him Homer when tagged as a chick, very appropriate.

Ann :-C :egghead: :flyaway:

A CHAPLIN said:
He was nearly dead, very weak but he still looked after EJ, I think there were no chicks but the bond they have became even stronger. That year showed him as the superstar he is, if only I hadn't lost all the stuff on my PC last year. There is still time the Bassenthwaite pair don't seem to be back yet either.

We have to keep hoping. I know of one American Osprey (tagged of course) who likes travelling. exploring I guess as he has doubled his migration journey twice, they had christened him Homer when tagged as a chick, very appropriate.

Ann :-C :egghead: :flyaway:
That was the year that Henry chucked the eggs out of the nest.

Have you not read the Basenthwaite thread? There is a female osprey on the cam this morning.

Who is this??

I am wondering if this could be Henry??

Three ospreys. 1st one Henry?? 2nd EJ 3rd Orange VS

Attachments

• 15 April 1.jpg
    15 April 1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 15 April 2.jpg
    15 April 2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 15 April 3.jpg
    15 April 3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Concerns for Henry are growing again. He is now a week late on last year. If he does not arrive soon he may find a nest of eggs.

Here's a better pic of EJS egg.
Will be just like Henry to turn up now and start playing football.
Is Orange VS still around, I hav'nt seen him for 2 days on the web cam.
May just be my timing.

Attachments

• video5 (Small).jpg
    video5 (Small).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back