• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2018 Orchid Thread (1 Viewer)

Rafeabrook

Hi folks,
I've been waiting patiently to see if anyone else would start this for 2018 and now that the season is very much underway, I could wait no longer!
If there's a reason people don't want this, then happy to delete of course.
Would just be great to be able to update each other of developments in one place as per previous seasons.
I await your posts and am planning my first trips out to the usual haunts soon!
Rafe

Hi folks,
I've been waiting patiently to see if anyone else would start this for 2018 and now that the season is very much underway, I could wait no longer!
If there's a reason people don't want this, then happy to delete of course.
Would just be great to be able to update each other of developments in one place as per previous seasons.
I await your posts and am planning my first trips out to the usual haunts soon!
Rafe

I suspect most people now use the Native Orchids of Britain and Ireland group on Facebook - plenty of activity on there. There are also separate active groups for Kent and for Sussex

Rich M

What No Facebook !!

I too was waiting for the thread to open.....I have not been Orchid hunting for a couple of years but this year I was hoping to see as many species as i can .

Unfortunately i do not use FB so i was hoping this thread would be useful for flowering times and also reserve information ( obliviously no detailed directions unless by PM )

I recently visited Hartslock NR for the beautiful Monkey x Lady hybrid also seen on site Common Twayblade, at least 6 pure Monkey , Numerous White hellobrines in the copse ( stalks not even buds yet ) , Only 1 pure Lady though .

At least 8 butterfly species also on site .

Closer to North Wales i have only seen EPO and GWO at the SSSI Bryn Pydew

Attachments

• Monkey:Lady hybrid .jpg
    Monkey:Lady hybrid .jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 142
Unfortunately i do not use FB

I don't use Facebook for anything else, I set up an account, under a pseudonym, purely to participate in the closed orchid groups. There really is a lot of good stuff on there, with lots of people actively participating.

Plenty of orchid information also on Twitter which you can read without having an account.

The thread on here has been declining over the last few years with hardly anyone posting last year.

Rich M

Had no idea about the Facebook group but have requested membership but the admins won't obviously see my Orchid interest on my profile, so if there are any viewing this, please let me in! :)

Had no idea about the Facebook group but have requested membership but the admins won't obviously see my Orchid interest on my profile, so if there are any viewing this, please let me in! :)

Rafe

I've sent the group administrator a message asking to let you into the group.

Rich

Hi now that the Orchid season has finally started, is there any chance someone can dm me a site for Man Orchid not to far from Bristol. I’m not going to be able to make it to Kent this year and promised my two Daughters I would show them some.
Thanks Ben

Hi now that the Orchid season has finally started, is there any chance someone can dm me a site for Man Orchid not to far from Bristol. I’m not going to be able to make it to Kent this year and promised my two Daughters I would show them some.
Thanks Ben

Being a predominantly eastern species I suspect there are no reliable Man orchid sites close to Bristol. Your best bet is that well known one in Worcs, Ufton Fields I think it's called.

Rich M

I too was waiting for the thread to open.....I have not been Orchid hunting for a couple of years but this year I was hoping to see as many species as i can .

Unfortunately i do not use FB so i was hoping this thread would be useful for flowering times and also reserve information ( obliviously no detailed directions unless by PM )

I recently visited Hartslock NR for the beautiful Monkey x Lady hybrid also seen on site Common Twayblade, at least 6 pure Monkey , Numerous White hellobrines in the copse ( stalks not even buds yet ) , Only 1 pure Lady though .

At least 8 butterfly species also on site .

Closer to North Wales i have only seen EPO and GWO at the SSSI Bryn Pydew

Good to see you posting again, Dylan. We too are very pleased to see this forum still alive. We do not use FB and do not purpose to do so. I had feared that this forum would die, so it is really good to see it alive and kicking - at least for us non-FB Luddites. ;)

My own health precludes much fieldwork at the moment, but it is so good to see what others are finding.

Out of interest can anyone tell us the state of play of the Military Orchids at Homefield?

Martin

Decent numbers of Burnt Tip Orchid out today (200 plus) at Mount Caburn (East Sussex). The Orchids are actually to the North West of the summit, in the valley shown as Caburn Bottom on some maps, on the south facing side.

found a couple of Bird's Nest Orchids in a private site in Dorset yesterday (17/05/18) first time I've ever come across them, not overly excited by them either!

Just had a good morning in Warwickshire although very humid!

Eleven man orchids at the usual site with an abundance of greater butterfly, twayblade and common spotted.

Word of warning though, when taking a photo of a greater butterfly an adder came within a couple of inches of my hand as I moved the camera into position and spooked it. Never seen an adder move so fast - or myself for that matter!

Then a 20 minute journey to Draycote Meadows to see the swathes of green winged orchids, plus many common spotted. (Small coppers showing nicely too).

Waiting for lightning storms now, though can’t be like last night, surely?

Didn’t know about the Facebook group, but have sent a request. Not sure what they will see that proves I don’t want to steel orchids though as I have to have tight settings because of my job.

Alyn Waters

We paid our first visit of the season to this site on Thursday. Plenty of Common Twayblades out and the first Common spotteds just coming. No sign of Bee orchids or pyramidals yet. What was surprising was to see very large numbers of stems of what we imagine will be Dune Helleborines on the Gwersyllt side - the most substantial populations are normally on the Llay side. It will be interesting to see how these develop.

With Cors Bodelio undergoing structural work at the moment , actually due to re-open this Monday . I visited Cors erddreiniog with the ex-warden , we found several Puglesy's Narrow leaved Marsh orchids amongst a few Early Marsh ..... We also found 6-9 Marsh Fritillaries butterflies ( a great place for this species )

A searched the area which was good for Fly Orchid and we only found one specimen ...

Though not relevant to this thread we also found a male and female Southern Damselfly a truly scarce and hard to find species found only in a tiny area of this wonderful reserve

Orchids for ID Please

Am struggling to ID these two, can anyone help please?

Pics were taken 5th/6th Jun 2018 and Location is the eastern edge of the Mendips, in Somerset. Both are within a couple of hundred meters of each other, in damp grassland, and height is about 13". Although plant 2 has striking bluish flowers I'm assuming they're the same species(?). Also, plant 1 is just upwind of a large colony of fuchsii and amongst them are several very large and robust specimens with leopard-spotted leaves, red flowers and wide lips - quite spectacular. I'm guessing these are hybrids of fuchsii and plant 1.

No Southern or Early Marsh are listed at the site and it's well-outside the Northern's range. Within a few miles are colonies of Southern Marsh but they are only just opening whereas these guys are in full flower and starting to set-seed. My first thoughts were Early Marsh but NBN shows sparse records for Somerset and the nearest report is some distance away - so it's got me stumped.

And ideas?

Attachments

• Plant1_01.jpg
    Plant1_01.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Plant1_02.jpg
    Plant1_02.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Plant1_03.jpg
    Plant1_03.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Plant2_01.jpg
    Plant2_01.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Plant2_02.jpg
    Plant2_02.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back