• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix P5000 (first impressions) (1 Viewer)

Skean

To All,
As you all know I am a world famous digiscoping photoghapher! So I was excited as I am sure you were if you follow this forum about the Nikon P5000. Well long story short my first impression in the field was not good at all with this camera. Now I have had this happen to me before when I switched from the Nikon Coolpix 4300 to the Canon S80 so what I am trying to say is maybe I need to work out some details. But I thought it was important to mention that this camera is far from the magic bullet that I thought it was.
See attached as my best shot tonight.
Richard M.
A.K.A. Skean
A.K.A. Digiscoping Genius

Attachments

• mock4.jpg
    mock4.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Richard,
Can you tell us what you like and don't like about it before too many more people rush off and buy it sight-unseen. Neil.

Hi Skean,
the pic looks good to me, but also did your pics taken with the s80
pros and cons with regard to the p5000 would be great

bye
tobias

Yes certainly more to come. I am sorry for the brief post with no real info to back up what I said. I need another day or so. One quick note though... the pics taken last night were with perfect lighting but the camera was very slow in terms of light gathering. I had the lens wide open an still could only shoot at 1/125sec. This is not good even if I was at iso 64. I am using manual mode for all the shots so I will work my way into all the settings today and see what happpens. I posted a quick first impression to to give pause to those who may be ready to make the jump to this camera and to those who may already own and want other users input.
Rich M.

Rich, check you f stop on your Exif. You might find it was a bit high because in good light I would expect faster shutter speeds. Neil.

To All,
As you all know I am a world famous digiscoping photoghapher! So I was excited as I am sure you were if you follow this forum about the Nikon P5000. Well long story short my first impression in the field was not good at all with this camera. Now I have had this happen to me before when I switched from the Nikon Coolpix 4300 to the Canon S80 so what I am trying to say is maybe I need to work out some details. But I thought it was important to mention that this camera is far from the magic bullet that I thought it was.
See attached as my best shot tonight.
Richard M.
A.K.A. Skean
A.K.A. Digiscoping Genius

I've never heard of you in digiscoping but that might be because i'm Uk,
The picture you attached is'nt impressive for a New Nikon ... I've had better result's with my 7900 to be honest and would wonder just like yourself on this P5000, I will be getting One myself soon to try out but if
that's the result you got then i'll stick to other cam's i use, And return it
quickly, ... By the way AKA Digiscoping genius ... Surely a joke lol,
Take care,
John,

Hi,
i guess if you look at the other pics skean shows in his gallery (taken with the p5000) you will see, that skean and his cam become friends more and more
i don't think that anyone will get superb results as soon as he uses a new cam

bye
tobias

Hi,
i guess if you look at the other pics skean shows in his gallery (taken with the p5000) you will see, that skean and his cam become friends more and more
i don't think that anyone will get superb results as soon as he uses a new cam

bye
tobias

Yes i did look before i posted ... The Canon picture's are exrememly nice but
like i said ... the Nikon P5000 picture's are good but not excellent ... If this is
all the P5000 is going to do ... Well i would'nt buy One ... This P5000 is'nt
far off the price of a Dslr and sure you need the Lens to go with it but for
me to pay £300 on a Point and Shoot Compact with a Manual side
thrown in to digiscope with and only get them result's ... Well that's a
no no for me ... I was expecting a LOT more from this camera,
It is very early Day's for this camera and i'm sure He and Other's will show
that it has more than what i've seen ... But until i see anything worthy ...
I stick to what i say ... These picture's apart from the Yellow One are good
but nothing i have'nt seen before and i've seen better result's with a lesser
compact,
I really hope someOne get's to hand's with this and make it a Top digiscoping camera ... As for now i'm not overly impressed at all,
Take care,
John,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back