• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Absolute top 10x (under $3000) (2 Viewers)

If the lady really wants to go all out, I would press upon her the desirability, nay, the necessity of purchasing the Pfleusengasser 10.5x 38. They are expensive.....
StEF, do you have a link for these wunderbins?

A lazy Goggle search turns up only this thread ! :eek!:

I take it these are the latest model with 75° AFov (375ft@1Kyd / 125m@1Km), sharp to the edge, 20mm ER, 100% transmission Perger prisms of HT glass, with a CA free optical train achieved through a smorgasbord of Super FL, and HT glass, and Aspheric lenses all hand ground to 1/20th wave. It goes without saying that the Nanoblack internal tube coating gives other worldly levels of contrast. Of course such a gorgeous 97% overall transmission optical train fully deserves its home in the Magnesium Metal Matrix, Whisker Titanium Carbon Fibre Composite with protective Kevlar weave chassis which comes in at sub 18oz (《500grams).

I think my favourite part though is the perforated beige faux baby harp seal leather armouring ....

Really, what's not to love?

Chosun :gh:

I've owned both the 10X42 and 10X50 SV, tried at length the 10X42 FL and 10X42 HT, and also the 10X42 SE. Those models are all superb in a number of ways, but the binocular I like the most is the 10X42 SF, that's the one I kept, and the one I use. The 10X32 SV had a wonderful view, but for me had too small of an exit pupil, blackouts were unavoidable unless my eyes were PERFECTLY centered. That's me, they might work for you.

I will recommend the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42, and I feel it will be ideal for the user.

The ergos are better than some others mentioned as these have great balance and handling, the focuser
is in the right place and very smooth.

The optics are at the top, so be sure to try this one before you settle on another choice.

Jerry

Thanks for the input. I think she'll have to find a place to try these. I'm sure she'd be willing to drive to Portland if she has to. It's a long drive but likely worth it unless she's willing to purchase and return. I recommended Sport Optics to her for that as they seem to have a good return policy and have the right selection.

BC,

IMHO, following Vespo, Lee, Jerry and Robert's Zeiss Victory SF 10X42 advice would be well headed!! :t:

"Try before you Buy" is always best to check and compare the ergonomics out for comparative 10X models. Possibly, the Springfield Cabella's (shorter trip) may have the in-store optics selection for her to try for a best-fit-her-eyes opportunity!

FWIW, I've been to Sports Optics to -try before buying- glassing activity...very knowledgeable and helpful staff there!!

Ted

Last edited:
I'm going way back to this because somehow it didn't get answered. Briefly, larger objectives provide a larger exit pupil, better detail (resolution) at long distance, better color detail, a brighter view in low light, and better seeing into shadows even in daylight. This is probably why you like your large binos on the porch, although it may be less relevant to an older lady looking for something easy to carry.

The bit about "a brighter in low light" is correct, but I'm sorry to say, I totally disagree with the parts about better detail, better colour detail, and seeing in the shadows. They are not deliverable by a bigger objective.

David

Now see that's the impression I was under also and why I asked about it. I don't know who is correct??? Can anyone else clarify this?

.........., but the binocular I like the most is the 10X42 SF, that's the one I kept, and the one I use. The .......

SuperDuty ...... Welcome back! I have been wondering how the Zeiss SF has been working out for you long term so it is great to hear you still have and like it.

In general terms, I agree with the members posting that the 10X42 Zeiss SF is first class It is the one that works best for me. However when it comes down to individual preferences and usage, that can change so hopefully your friend will be able to check out several. The SF is great model to use as a benchmark for comparison to others. What makes it a standout to me is the wider FOV, the rearward balance and good handling of CA and stray light. Off hand, I can not think of any $1,000 and up model that is a reject, it just comes down to personal preferences and what works best for that person.

Now see that's the impression I was under also and why I asked about it. I don't know who is correct??? Can anyone else clarify this?

Happy for others to chime in but there is one principle you need to understand. It doesn't matter if you are using an 8x20, 8x32, 8x42, 8x50 8x58 and so on, on a bright when your pupil is stopped down, to 2mm, every single one will be an 8x16 as far as your retina is concerned. Consequently, providing there is no difference in coatings and optical quality or stray light, they would have the same brightness, same resolution and same colour rendition. If we are really very picky, the bigger binoclars will be slightly dimmer due to thicker glass.

David

That's what I had heard from one of the regulars who said something to the effect that a good 32mm is fully adequate as a primary birding binocular due to the excellent coatings they use now.

That's what I had heard from one of the regulars who said something to the effect that a good 32mm is fully adequate as a primary birding binocular due to the excellent coatings they use now.

Don't forget that birding conditions as well as individual pupil size* can vary quite a lot.

Smaller bins with smaller exit pupils will also generally be more sensitive to glare. Front lens is less recessed in a small bin and the margin to the binocular exit pupil vs eye pupil will be smaller i.e. good baffling for stray light will be harder to do.

Coatings (hight transmission) are probably more of interest in low light where a large exit pupil also is useful. A 42 vs a 32 mm bin can deliver 72% more light whereas coatings might vary 5%-10% up to perhaps 10-20% in the blue spectrum.

What might be adequate for some might not work for others.

*Even aboive 60 years old a pupil of 7.5mm dilated is within standard deviation.

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/images/pupil_size_chart(Mar2011).jpg

Last edited:
I ran into my friend on the trail and we talked a little. She seems pretty set on 42mm. On her trip she said she used an old Eagle Optics 8x42 way more than her Kowa 8x32. She said the Kowa is an underperformer for her. I think she'll likely be on for that Zeiss Victory.

Anyone know where they have the Zeiss Victory 10x42 in stock? We checked at Sports Optics and they have been out since the first of the year. They will have them in a few weeks they think and gave a promo price of $2340.

I really don't know where else to look for them that has a good returns policy.

Last edited:
I ran into my friend on the trail and we talked a little. She seems pretty set on 42mm. On her trip she said she used an old Eagle Optics 8x42 way more than her Kowa 8x32. She said the Kowa is an underperformer for her. I think she'll likely be on for that Zeiss Victory.

If she's set on a 10X42....no reason to not look at a Swarovski SV 10X42. Probably 1.5 ounces difference in weight.

Attachments

• IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 69
BTW...
For either, why not call Doug at Camerland NY and check on stock. I know with the Swarovski's....mine have always been drop shipped from Swarovski NA so they are as recent manufacture as possible. You might also check with Optic4Birding. I've bought stuff from both...no issues whatsoever.

OK thanks I'll look there. I found them at B&H Photo and Adorama also. We want to have them match or come close to the Sports Optics price.

Thanks Bruce
It really is hard to go wrong with any of the best models from Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica. It takes a good bit of time to try all of them thoroughly enough to pick a favorite.

SuperDuty ...... Welcome back! I have been wondering how the Zeiss SF has been working out for you long term so it is great to hear you still have and like it.

In general terms, I agree with the members posting that the 10X42 Zeiss SF is first class It is the one that works best for me. However when it comes down to individual preferences and usage, that can change so hopefully your friend will be able to check out several. The SF is great model to use as a benchmark for comparison to others. What makes it a standout to me is the wider FOV, the rearward balance and good handling of CA and stray light. Off hand, I can not think of any $1,000 and up model that is a reject, it just comes down to personal preferences and what works best for that person.

Bruce summed up the SF perfectly. The rearward balance that he mentions is real and you can feel it the moment you pick it up. Slide three fingers around the barrel just under the bridge and your first finger lands on the focus wheel. I saw a purchasing officer at a major nature reserve pick one up like this for the first time and his face broke into a puzzled but delighted smile because it felt so much lighter than expected. As Chuck points out it is only a little lighter than the Swaro EL SV but the balance makes all the difference.

Lee

My personal favourite 10x list (from big to small):

-Zeiss HT 10x54 (superb esp. in dusk and dawn and sh... weather, nice handling for a long finger "hairy chest" older lad).
-Swaro 10x50 EL (one of the best binos I know, good handling and balance).
-Zeiss SF 10x42 (my general birding recommendation, very well balanced and superb optics, handles better for me than the 10x42 EL though I'm not too fond of open bridges in binos < 50mm but that's just my hands-and-brain after decades of BPA (Big Porro Abusus)).
-Trinovid HD 10x32 (Why that? Surely/probably optically not as good as an EL/FL/Ultravid, but focus down to 1m, so if I'm tired of birding I can easily observe the fleas on my knees ...)

Good times - Cocco 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back