• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambian reptile for ID (1 Viewer)

Imaginos

Hi all,

A friend has sent me the attached for identification - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Janjanbureh, Gambia.12.11.10asmall.jpg
    Janjanbureh, Gambia.12.11.10asmall.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 119
  • Janjanbureh, Gambia.12.11.10bsmall.jpg
    Janjanbureh, Gambia.12.11.10bsmall.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Janjanbureh, Gambia.12.11.10csmall.jpg
    Janjanbureh, Gambia.12.11.10csmall.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 114
One man's nerve is another man's foolishness. I'm just trying to remember if it was in west Africa that Gerald Durrell nearly died, doing the same thing.

I've passed the replies on, my friend says: "Cheers ... and I'd normally agree with their comments .... but perhaps you could reply that it had just been fished out of quite a chilly swimming pool and was motionless almost to the point of death!

And thank them for their help :)"

And following up on the links provided by Chlidonias we have an identification: Speckled Shovel-snout Snake (Prosymna meleagris laurenti - Colubridae)

Thanks all!

excellent. Meleagris, by the way, is a reference to guinea fowl (for the white spotting on dark background as in that bird's plumage)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back