• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow in Death Valley National Park, California, USA (1 Viewer)

SHolt

Please help identify this swallow. It was flying over the Furnace Creek Golf Course "Audubon" water hazard. (The only area where bird watching is allowed on the course.) It was observed on March 9th. Any assistance is appreciated.

FYI: On March 7th winds gusting to 60 mph blew through the park preceeding a rainstorm which resulted in 13.2 mm of water over six hours.

Attachments

• CC_DSCF1758.jpg
    CC_DSCF1758.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 183
  • CC_BirdOnly_DSCF1758.jpg
    CC_BirdOnly_DSCF1758.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 246
Looking at the wing to tail ratio...I'd have thought Violet-green or Tree Swallow, as being the two most likely candidates...Think I'd opt for the former?

cheers

The wings do look a bit narrow and the tail has a definite fork to it, but the throat looks awfully buffy. Assuming that's an artifact of the photo, I could go with Tree Swallow or Violet Green Swallow as an alternative.

I like Rough-wing for this bird.

I don't see why the wing to tail ratio would suggest one of Tree or Violet-green; those two species are nothing alike in that regard. In fact, a relatively short tail is one way to separate Violet-green from Tree.

That said, the wing to tail on this bird is consistent with Violet-green!

But that throat is clearly coloured and contrasts with the belly/vent.

I don't know.

I saw Violet-green and Tree swallows flying over this pond on the 2nd. There have been no Northern Rough-winged reported this year to the Park. The employees who observed this bird were trying to capture white-throated swifts with point-and-shoot cameras. This was the only image that had a bird visible. Unfortunately, this is not a swift.

I do not know what the terrain is like there, but could that not be a bank swallow, there appears to be a necklace and a slightly forked tail

I saw that bird too!

I was also at the Furnace Creek golf course "birdwatching pond" on March 9 and saw the same swallow! A new birder, I at first took it to be a bank swallow (based on breast band) but have since learned that that would be a pretty rare sighting, and am now second-guessing myself. Thoughts?

It could be any of the three swallows discussed in this thread...or a Bank swallow. Of the 54 Bank Swallows reported to the Park, 48 were at Furnace Creek Ranch.

For now it is just a Swallow sp.

I was also at the Furnace Creek golf course "birdwatching pond" on March 9 and saw the same swallow! A new birder, I at first took it to be a bank swallow (based on breast band) but have since learned that that would be a pretty rare sighting, and am now second-guessing myself. Thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back