• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls (barabensis - heuglini) of Salalah, Oman (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi all,

I'm sorting my gull photos, and it is more difficult than I expected. I'd love your comments about those gulls, all taken around Salalah, Oman, in April 2016.

Identification of species / sub-species, age and all features to look for will be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Attachments

• Larus_fuscus_10ombf.jpg
    Larus_fuscus_10ombf.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Larus_fuscus_11ombf.jpg
    Larus_fuscus_11ombf.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Larus_fuscus_12ombf.jpg
    Larus_fuscus_12ombf.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Larus_fuscus_13ombf.jpg
    Larus_fuscus_13ombf.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Larus_fuscus_14ombf.jpg
    Larus_fuscus_14ombf.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 26
this book might aid you

Bonjour Valery!

This book may help you. I found it on Amazon (available other places as well), and I don't regret it.
It has in depth for Gulls. You may have it already....

"Gulls of Europe, Asia, and North America"

by Klaus Malling Olsen

It has gulls and migration maps that include your area.

US Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Gulls-Europe-America-Identification-Guides/dp/0713670878

UK Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gulls-Europe-America-Identification-Guides/dp/0713670878

Jeff :D

Bonjour Valery!

This book may help you. I found it on Amazon (available other places as well), and I don't regret it.
It has in depth for Gulls. You may have it already....

"Gulls of Europe, Asia, and North America"

by Klaus Malling Olsen

It has gulls and migration maps that include your area.

US Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Gulls-Europe-America-Identification-Guides/dp/0713670878

UK Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gulls-Europe-America-Identification-Guides/dp/0713670878

Jeff :D

That's funny, I know and own the book of course, since it exists. Thanks anyway. For your info, it states that identification of immature barabensis and heuglini and not fully understood.

"not fully understood" seems to be the case more than once in many a bird. Makes bird watching fascinating :D

salut valéry,

2nd one looks to be an adult female heuglini. mantle is just too dark for barabensis and it has this nice striation restricted to hindneck. all the other ind. (5 second calendar years) to me looks like barabensis. but in april also heuglini can be this advanced so, better to try on them in midwinter. all have replaced their whole mantle, scaps and coverts, which in heuglini also does, but probably well into may. so the last one which is still in heavy moult could actually be also a heuglini, but i favour barabensis for it too on the apparently paler grey upper mantle and bold coverts markings.

cheers

salut valéry,

2nd one looks to be an adult female heuglini. mantle is just too dark for barabensis and it has this nice striation restricted to hindneck. all the other ind. (5 second calendar years) to me looks like barabensis. but in april also heuglini can be this advanced so, better to try on them in midwinter. all have replaced their whole mantle, scaps and coverts, which in heuglini also does, but probably well into may. so the last one which is still in heavy moult could actually be also a heuglini, but i favour barabensis for it too on the apparently paler grey upper mantle and bold coverts markings.

cheers

Many thanks Lou, that is matching my ID's. Most of my photos are from April, I gonna check my old photos from January 2006, but not sure I've interesting ones. I've also flying ones to check. Have a nice day !

Aren't the two gulls in the 4th image different taxa? The one at the rear seems to have a larger eye, different plumage and a slightly different bill shape. The other looks like a typical barabensis.

both look like fairly typical barabensis. Both have extensively replaced coverts and tt, both have the upright stance and weak female type bill, just the pattern varies but that's variable :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back