• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Birds pub 1843 (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hi All,
I have recently come across and purchased volumes 2 and 3 of A History of British Birds by William Yarrell F.L.S. V.P.Z.S. They were published in 1843 by John Van Voorst, Paternoster Row. The 3 volumes contain 520 wood engravings and make fascinating reading.
Interestingly, signed in the frontpiece by a Joseph Pitt, 1844
e.g. from text: Green Woodpecker also known as Woodspite, Rain bird, Hew Hole, Yaffle, Whet-ile and Woodwall.
Does anyone have any further info on this publication and any advice as to where I may get hold of Volume 1?
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Jono

Darrell Clegg said:
Go to www.bookfinder.com or www.abebooks.co.uk type in the author and title and see what happens. There are a few odds & ends on there at the moment

Darrell
Hi Darrell,
Thanks for this. Turns out I picked up a couple of books that sell for considerably more than I paid for them and that volume 1 is relatively easy to get hold of. Also, discovered mine are first editions. Obviously the whole set works out at a better price, but at present, am enjoying them too much to contemplete selling. Not quite a new Leica scope yet though
Jono

jforgham said:
Hi Darrell,
Thanks for this. Turns out I picked up a couple of books that sell for considerably more than I paid for them and that volume 1 is relatively easy to get hold of. Also, discovered mine are first editions. Obviously the whole set works out at a better price, but at present, am enjoying them too much to contemplete selling. Not quite a new Leica scope yet though
Jono

ebay is a good bet too.

Nice to have the first ed. but the 4th edition is better for bird info, in 4 volumes.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back