• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BD 8x42 with XD real compared Zeiss Conquest HD and Nikon Monarch 7 (1 Viewer)

alexbino

Swarovski,Canon,Fujinon,K OWA,Leupold,Nikon,Pentax
Who has tested and used binos Kowa BD 8x42 with XD in comparison with Zeiss Conquest HD and Nikon Monarch 7 ?

While I liked the relatively small size and low weight I personally thought the levels of CA were high compared to similarly priced models including the Nikon M7 and Zeiss Conquest HD.

David

Last edited:
While I liked the relatively small size and low weight I personally thought the levels of CA were high compared to similarly priced models including the Nikon M7 and Zeiss Conquest HD.

David

David
Do you remember the serial number or the first two digits of the serial number?
I have information that the latest models have improved control CA.

Alex,

Sorry I don't know but I first tried them about a year ago when they were launched in the UK. I tried them again at the UK BirdFair last month together with the new 8x32 and 8x56 models. They didn't seem as bad as I recalled the first time but the conditions were different so hard to judge. The CA was still higher than the mid-priced pairs I was trying in the same marquee with the same conditions which included the Conquest HD and M7 amongst others. Of course the level of CA does vary with the pupil's position in the exit pupil and perhaps it would be fairer to say they were more intolerant of imperfect eye positioning when it comes to CA.

David

Last edited:
Kowa BD 8x42 with XD are in my opinion the very best birding and nature binoculars. It is exceptionally bright, and can easily be used for owl watching. It is also very sharp (micro contrast) and excellent contrast (macro contrast), has a excellent close focus 1.2 m, neutral colors (very little cold color) and saturated colors, a wide field of view 7.5 degree, and a superb feel in hand. Weight 671 gram magnesium body. Eye Relief exelent 19mm. Eyepieces lens 24 mm.

Armoring and Waterproofing excellent, real synthetic Rubber coating is great in cold weather, and will also protect against dings, and drops. Quality roof prism, excellent quality fully multicoated coating binos. Binos have real rain guard (the manufacturer has not stated).

Chromatic aberration low in the centre, noticeable lower than medium at the edge, Astigmatism very low, Coma very low, Distortion the distance between the first curved line and the field centre compared to the field of view radius of 70-75%, Blurring at the edge of the FOV of 85-90% from the field of view centre.

Darkening at the edge the FOV Negligible, Whiteness of the image the not loss of purple and blue light - it not visible warming up of the image, Collimation Perfect, Internal reflections Quite dark, Quality of the interior of the barrels tubes are dark and matt, tubes become ribbed, no glue and deeper on you see gray matt metal and microscopic flecks of dust.

Antireflection coatings
Pink-emerald-greenish (reflex emerald-greenish) on objectives, orange-green-pink-lilac (reflex green-lilac) on the eyepieces and greenish on the prisms. Medium intensity.

Focusing, Big and very comfortable central metal wheel with fine ribbing, moves smoothly and precisely 550 degrees, ring on the right eyepiece for individual focusing, made of plastic and have ratchet mechanism.

Compared to Swarovski SLC HD (very little warm color between the colors of kiwi and pistachio-green) it has more very little cold color and very saturated colors. I also like the feel in hand, and the big wheel is perfect for focusing also with gloves on. In Short, the best of the best and the best binocular in the 500-1000 USD range. If you do not want to pay a fortune for a pair of good binos then this half price (of the high end binos, series ALFA) glass could just be the thing for you.

Last edited:
Hi praise indeed, Alex. I'll have to try to see one of these.

Here's something I can't figure. I have attached a photo of the 8x42 to the left of the 10x42. Look at the difference in the eyepieces! And the 10x42 has LESS eye relief than the 8x42. I can't imagine the 10x42 would work with glasses, so why did Kowa do it? Or have they revised it?

Anybody know?

Attachments

• img_08112.jpg
    img_08112.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 788
Hi praise indeed, Alex. I'll have to try to see one of these.

Here's something I can't figure. I have attached a photo of the 8x42 to the left of the 10x42. Look at the difference in the eyepieces! And the 10x42 has LESS eye relief than the 8x42. I can't imagine the 10x42 would work with glasses, so why did Kowa do it? Or have they revised it?

Anybody know?

I know about the differences in eyepieces between models 8 and 10-x.
To my mind there are 4 lenses in the eyepiece 8x and there are 5 lenses in the eyepiece 10x. I am going to make X-ray my 8x Kowa and confirm my minds.

Typo --- David ------- Having seen the new 8x32 model, how does it compare in size to the 8x42 BD XM model ?

Last edited:
Typo --- David ------- Having seen the new 8x32 model, how does it compare in size to the 8x42 BD XM model ?

The 8x32 is 122.5mm (4.8") long and weigh 560g (19.8oz). The 8x42 is 132mm (5.2") and 650g (22.9oz). Compared to the Genesis they look like toys, but they felt pretty solid and well put together.

David

The 8x32 is 122.5mm (4.8") long and weigh 560g (19.8oz). The 8x42 is 132mm (5.2") and 650g (22.9oz). Compared to the Genesis they look like toys, but they felt pretty solid and well put together.

David

Kowa BD 8x42 XD, real data
Long body 132 mm
Long with caps 136 mm
Weight 671 gram without caps and strap.
30 mm focusing knob diameter
41.85 mm objectives lens diameter
23.95 mm eyepieces lens diameter

Update information Antireflection coatings
Pink-emerald-greenish-turquoise (reflex emerald-greenish) on objectives, orange-green-pink-lilac-turquoise (reflex green-lilac) on the eyepieces and greenish on the prisms. Medium intensity.

Real observation
Close focus is an impressive 1.1-1.2 m.
Eye relief, at 19 mm is very excellent for those who wear glasses.
The field of view is nothing special at 131m at 1000m although completely missing the tunnel effect.
I estimate the sweet spot is around 85-90%, after which the sharpness deteriorates slowly.
I found the low light performance of the Kowa BD 8x42 XD real fantastic. I used them in early evening, late evening and night. I could easily get a sharp image even night. I would say this is a real strength and fantastic.
Stray light management is a real strength. Kowa BD 8x42 XD is one of the best I have seen in this regard, absolutely no flare.
Distortion parameter 'k'- k = 0.8.

used links
http://www.egpetersen.com/blog/wp-c...Prep-VFX-checkerboard-lens_distortion-1in.jpg
http://www.egpetersen.com/blog/wp-c...Prep-VFX-checkerboard-lens_distortion-2in.jpg
http://www.color-blindness.com/ishihara-38-plates-cvd-test/#prettyPhoto
http://enchroma.com/test/instructions/#test

Result
Killer Zeiss - Swarovski - Leica

Last edited:
сontinued ...
Resistance to the backlight, fringing, ghosting and flare great.
I used sun from 2-3 degrees to 80-85 degrees from the axis of observation, not having received not a single flare or ghost without a fall of sharpness, сontrast between dark-light and CA.

Alex (and/or others who own or have access to the Kowa BD-XD),
I just received the Kowa BD-XD 8x42 and a Vortex Viper and I plan to keep one or the two. I like everything about BD-XD except that the focus turns very stiffly on mine (i.e., not easily turned with one finger). It might be difficult to focus rapidly while birding.
Is your Kowa similar, or is the focus stiffness in mine simply due to sample variation?
Thank you.

Alex (and/or others who own or have access to the Kowa BD-XD),
I just received the Kowa BD-XD 8x42 and a Vortex Viper and I plan to keep one or the two. I like everything about BD-XD except that the focus turns very stiffly on mine (i.e., not easily turned with one finger). It might be difficult to focus rapidly while birding.
Is your Kowa similar, or is the focus stiffness in mine simply due to sample variation?
Thank you.

Hi,
Vortex Viper or Vortex Viper HD?
The focus knob on my Kowa BD-XD 8x42 not very stiff on mine (i.e.,
enough secondary effort, but not oily, turned with one finger)
I have absolutely no worries.

I have the BD XD 8x42 and it is a very nice bin. My only dislike is that the focus knob surface is entirely too slick. The focus tension is fine like most Kowa binoculars but the material is too slippery. I cut the finger of a glove and stretched it over the knob to make it grippier. This works for me. Jim

Are the Kowa BD XD 8x42 and Kowa 8x42 BD the same or different? (Does the XD have significance?)

Kowa BD XD 8x42:
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/kowa/kowa-bd-xd-8x42-binocular list the price at $479, and says the FOV (1000 ft) is 393.

On the other hand,

Kowa 8x42 BD $550
http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Kowa8x42BD-64.htm says FOV is 330

So the XD has a significantly better field of view, while the price would indicate that it is inferior to the non XD.

Can someone clear this up for me please!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back