• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sexing Robins (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

Is there any way of telling a female robin from a male? My friend seems to think it's something to do with the amount of red on the breast and how far it spreads onto the face/beak area. He was in the company of some ringers and mentioned this - they didn't think there was any way to tell them apart but yet my friend can't have dreamt it - he says!

Sandra
:h?:

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Is there any way of telling a female robin from a male? My friend seems to think it's something to do with the amount of red on the breast and how far it spreads onto the face/beak area. He was in the company of some ringers and mentioned this - they didn't think there was any way to tell them apart but yet my friend can't have dreamt it - he says!

Sandra

You can't sex them (unless you see which one is on top!)

According to Svensson male and female are alike in plumage. Perhaps wing lenght would be of help, but could differ depending on origin of population. According to birds measured in Sweden (Ottenby), about 60% could be sexed according to wing lenght, males on average longer winged.

JanJ

Sandra (Taylor) said:

Sandra
I have a vague recollection that it may have something to do the the shape of the brown meeting the red on the forehead - It is 'U' shaped in one sex and 'V' shaped in the other sex (cannot remember which shape refers to what sex though!)!

Of course I do not know if this has any basis in Science!

Regards
Tristan

I was on a guided birding walk around Holy Island two Saturday's ago with a local bird expert and he just happened to mention one of the possible ways to sex Robins - I'm sure it WAS the way Tristan has said. :t:

I'll double check next time I see him.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back