• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stork(s), Bang Pu. Thailand - March 24 (1 Viewer)

BKKBen

Hi all,

These images were taken at Bang Pu, Thailand, today, March 24th. I don't think they're of the same bird, but both birds appeared different from the Painted Storks at the site.

Could it (they) possibly be a Milky Stork, or possibly a Milky-Painted hybrid, which have been recorded at Bang Pu, or just a Painted Stork that looks different, or is it not possible to tell from these photos.

I watched the bird on the ground for quite a while to see if I could see it in flight, but it didn't seem like it was in a hurry to go anywhere.

Thanks for all help,
Ben.

Attachments

• DSCF0065 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF0065 - Copy.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF0078.JPG
    DSCF0078.JPG
    597.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF0080.JPG
    DSCF0080.JPG
    668 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Update:

I've been told by an ornithological graduate who works at the nature reserve at Bang Pu and has experience with these birds (and has seen these pics), that in his opinion the underwing coverts are characteristic of painted/milky stork hybrids seen there previously.

Hi Ben,
does he mean the main bird on photos #2&3, as well?

Hi Byron,

Sorry, I should've been clearer. No, he only meant the bird in flight. He said from the two pics where the bird is on the ground, an ID cannot really be made - need to see under the wings.

Cheers,
Ben.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back