• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly & Damselfly ID help, Cornwall, UK (1 Viewer)

thomasclark1985

Hi,

Here is a photo of a damselfly I photographed this week, is it a Variable Damselfly?

For the dragonfly I'm going with a female Ruddy Darter, or Common Darter. Slightly leaning towards Ruddy Darter though.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• P1020160_50.jpg
    P1020160_50.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 73
  • P1020315_4_10.jpg
    P1020315_4_10.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 136
The damselfly is hard to identify from this angle. Do you have a shot on the side of the thorax?
It seems to be a female and thereofre very hard to distinguish it from the Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella).

The damselfly ia a female Azure based on the clear pale hind margin of the pronotum. The darter is an immature male Common Darter - Ruddy has a clubbed rather than parallel sided abdomen.

Damselfly

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I don’t think I have anymore photos. The reason I went for Variable is because I have a guide showing the abdominal segments and thought it looked more like Variable, should I not pay so much attention to abdominal segments in the guide then, because it looks more like that than any of the others.

Many thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• ECE04F81-8852-40B0-8D6E-6DEAC7BAC289.jpeg
    ECE04F81-8852-40B0-8D6E-6DEAC7BAC289.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 19
Concentrate of the first two body segments when getting photos, on Damselflies, S1 and S2 hold diagnostic marks as shown on the diagram.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back