• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (21 Viewers)

Little Gulls at Hornsea Mere

As promised...

Attachments

• IMG_8762_filtered.jpg
    IMG_8762_filtered.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9118_filtered.jpg
    IMG_9118_filtered.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9220_filtered.jpg
    IMG_9220_filtered.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 80
Crane

Hi there :)
New to the thread and just a quick question about the crane up at Nosterfield. If I went up there would I have a pretty good chance of seeing it, or does it spend most of it's time in reeds and out of sight etc, only being seen if it decides to fly up for a few seconds.
Any help would be much appreciated. |:d|

I've been up there twice in the last 7 days and managed to find it both times. Each visit was before 12.00, no idea if it stays there all day.
Both times it's was at Lingham Lake, which is the waterbody at the side of the Nosterfield Quarry car park. Walk from the car to the viewing screen and scan the edge of the lake. If the bird is sat down it is very easy to overlook it, you're looking for a grey bulk with a black and white line across it. If it's stood up it is very obvious. No reeds just bare mud.
Best of luck

New to the thread and just a quick question about the crane up at Nosterfield. If I went up there would I have a pretty good chance of seeing it, or does it spend most of it's time in reeds and out of sight etc, only being seen if it decides to fly up for a few seconds.

Still there today and showing quite well.

Keith's directions are spot on.

Graeme

Did you have to do any PP on the pic Dave, 'cos it's very good.:t:
I was down there 3 weeks or so ago for the Crossies, we had good views of a female and 3 young, there were about a doz in the flock.
Joe

Thanks Joe ..

I needed nothing more than a crop to get it as it is .. Lots of luck involved methinks !!

Thanks Joe ..

I needed nothing more than a crop to get it as it is .. Lots of luck involved methinks !!

Yeah too right Dave, I nearly believe you....!;)
... as Gary Player said "the more I practice the luckier I get"
the mere fact you knew how to handle the ISO to get the pic says it all..:t:
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back