View Single Post
Old Tuesday 19th June 2018, 23:25   #3
rylirk

March 2: Southampton, UK

I was snowbound due to the 'Beast from the East', but made it down to the cemetary on Southampton common. Gold- and Firecrests everywhere! And Jays and Green Woodpeckers in central Portswood; never seen either of those around here before.

115. European Green Woodpecker

March 11: Arundel, UK

Arundel WWT to try and find a Lesser Redpoll which had regularly been seen with a goldfinch flock. I know they are common but, despite many attempts, I had still never seen one. Still hadn't seen one by the time I left...

116: Mandarin Duck

19 March: Beijing, China

First foreign trip of the year: a week long meeting in Beijing followed by a few days free in Korea. Got a few birds on the drive from the airport to the hotel, but this really isn't a great city for birds... still, a singing light-vented bulbul mere metres from the hotel was a nice early lifer.

117. * Oriental Magpie
118. * Light-Vented Bulbul
119. Eurasian Tree Sparrow
120. * Azure-Winged Magpie

20 March: Beijing, China

I found a little park near the hotel which I went to at 5am every morning when I woke up. It yielded the first year tick on my second day in the country.

121. Spotted Dove

21 March: Shahe, China

Had the afternoon free on the Wednesday, so took the metro up to Shahe Lakes near Changping to see what was about. Pretty quiet bird-wise, but of course everything I did see was exotic!

122. * Naumann's Thrush
123. * Grey-Capped Pygmy Woodpecker
124. Eurasian Hoopoe
125. * Water Pipit
126. * Vega Gull

23 March: Beijing, China

The little park finally yielded a lifer today, in the form of the Grey-Headed Greenfinch! Attempted to go to the Forbidden City but it was closed (picked up an Eastern Buzzard over Tiananmen square though), then went to the Olympic Park where I picked up the first Marsh Tit of the year.

127. * Grey-Capped Greenfinch
128. * Eastern Buzzard
129. Marsh Tit

24 March: Beijing, UK

An entire free day! I had been to Beijing many years before, so I wanted to do something new; having heard there were good birds there, I went to the ruins of the old Summer Palace at Yuanmingyuan. Finally picked up my China target bird: the Red-Billed Blue Magpie!

130. * Chinese Blackbird
131. * Red-Billed Blue Magpie
132. * Pallas's Leaf Warbler
133. * Daurian Redstart
134. * Japanese Tit

March 25: Seoul, South Korea

Onwards to Korea; my first new country of the year. A lot more birds here than in Beijing, although a good 90% of those seemed to be Brown-Eared Bulbuls. My God are there a lot of Brown-Eared Bulbuls in this city...

135. * Brown-Eared Bulbul
136. * Large-Billed Crow
137. * Oriental Turtle Dove

March 26: Seoul, South Korea

138. * Vinous-Throated Parrotbill
139. * Grey-Headed Woodpecker

March 27: DMZ & JSA, South Korea

A trip up to the border with North Korea (although we weren't allowed to cross the border due to an unspecified 'incident'). I was hoping the more rural area of the country would yield some decent birds, but it was fairly slim pickings.

140. * Greater White-Fronted Goose
141. * Eastern Spot-Billed Duck

March 28: Incheon, South Korea

A couple more lifers from the train to the airport...

142. * Black-Faced Spoonbill
143. * Black-Tailed Gull

March 29: Zurich, Switzerland

Had 2 connections in my flight back to the UK, with 8 hour layovers in both Beijing and Zurich. Used the time in Switzerland to go look round the city.

144. * Red-Crested Pochard

Total additions in March: 30
Total lifers in March: 21

Last edited by rylirk : Thursday 29th November 2018 at 22:52.