• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk Marsh or willow tit? (1 Viewer)

Michelle82uk

Hi all,
A birds been visiting my front garden feeder for the last week or so, i live next to a local nature reserve which contains a healthy population of willow tits. My house also borders a large strip of deciduous woodland so theres also marsh tits present. I had to grab my phone quickly so please excuse the poor picture quality , but hopefully someone with better knowledge than me can help me identify it.

Attachments

• 48F10734-9085-432C-AF15-D90A2AE7976C.jpg
    48F10734-9085-432C-AF15-D90A2AE7976C.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 156
It appears to have a pale spot at the base of the bill. Assuming this isn't a photographic artefact, it would indicate Marsh Tit. A better picture would be very helpful, and a sound recording would be diagnostic.

Very envious that you have both species on your doorstep!

Hi Michelle,
From the few features I can see:

Diffuse, fairly broad bib
Cheeks have little or no contrast with neck

I would say you need other photos showing the bird from the side to be more certain, but if I had to guess I would say probably more Willlow than Marsh, but I would'nt be certain, as the photo is a little over exposed.

Hi Michelle,
From the few features I can see:

Diffuse, fairly broad bib
Cheeks have little or no contrast with neck

I would say you need other photos showing the bird from the side to be more certain, but if I had to guess I would say probably more Willlow than Marsh, but I would'nt be certain, as the photo is a little over exposed.

I wouldn't trust these features on a shot like this Andy, it's not safely identifiable in my view.

I wouldn't trust these features on a shot like this Andy, it's not safely identifiable in my view.

What I should have said is it is a combination of several features that points to Willow or Marsh Tit and with only two iffy recognisable combinations present, it is not clear which it is. However, the 2 features, if indeed they are correct, would be pointing toward Willow Tit, but it would still need more of the other features not visible on this photo to confirm one way or the other.
I thought that was a wee bit long to write...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back