• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Camera for Vortex Razor HD & Vortex DCA? (1 Viewer)

MrSmith

Hi all.

I am thinking of getting a Vortex Razor HD scope and Vortex DCA but do not know what camera would go well with this.

I would prefer the smaller P&S format rather than an DSLR but cannot seem to find anything with a filter thread that seems to be required for the connection to the DCA.

I would also prefer a camera that has been released within the last 12 months or less.

I am not to concerned about the budget (within reason) and preferably something that would double as a good travel camera if such a combination exists.

Any recommendations would be most welcome.

P.S. would I know so far about digiscoping may be considered dangerous :)

Ah I see that one can use an accessory lens adaptor/conversion lens adapter.

Now I am thinking that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 may be a good option?

If you visit the I.R. Comparometer you will see that both the LX3 and 5 are both very sharp. I do not know what eyepiece you have and what the eye relief is. You might want to take your scope to the store and see if the LX5 vignettes with it. Gene

I just picked up a Vortex PS-100 attachment from Eagle Opitics for the Vortex Razor. This is new for P&S. Info from Mike McDowells web site. Hope this helps.

Smithhill - I have not bought anything yet but the Vortex Razor HD comes with a 20x - 60x zoom eyepiece.

Kyakman - big thanks for the heads up on that Vortex PS-100 maybe this will work as I have now read in another post that the standard and 3rd party lens adaptor/conversion lens adapter for the LX-5 is to long and not suitable at all for digiscoping.

Anybody else used the LX-5 with the Vortex Razor HD setup yet?

A zoom eyepiece is never as good as a fixed power one. I believe you can use the 1 1/4 standard astro on the Vortex. I like the Baader Hyperion eye pieces, suggest the 17mm. Has mounting threads on the top and 20mm of eye relief for great digiscoping. $129. USD here in the States. Gene

Gene, thanks again for your advice.

I am strongly considering purchasing this scope and a number of accessories :

Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 Spotting Scope
Vortex Razor HD Digital Camera Adapter - DCA
Vortex Point-n-Shoot Attachment for Razor and Viper Digital Camera Adapters - DCA-VT-PS-100
http://www.eagleoptics.com/digital-...t-for-razor-and-viper-digital-camera-adapters

Manfrotto 055CXV3 View Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs
Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Digital Camera

I was wondering if anyone had used the LX5 camera with this scope, DCA and PS-100 adaptor and if it had worked for digiscoping?

Anyone know the focal length of this scope? I could not find this info online.

With regard to the 17mm Baader Hyperion eye piece, has anyone used this eyepiece with this scope? or do you know if it will fit?

Does anyone know if the Vortex DCA will fit with this eyepiece?

Gene

I wonder if you got anywhere with this set
up. I will be getting the Razor HD with
The PS-100 and the Vortex DCA and an
Looking for compatible cameras....p&s as
I have a D7000.

Tks

Hi Birder100

I did get the following:

Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 Spotting Scope
Vortex Razor HD Digital Camera Adapter - DCA
Vortex Point-n-Shoot Attachment for Razor and Viper Digital Camera Adapters - DCA-VT-PS-100
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Digital Camera

I am very happy with the camera as a camera but have not really had the time yet to see how it works with the scope etc.

I will report back once I have paired the camera and scope, sorry but I am not sure when exactly that will be.

MrSmith

I look forward to your conclusions.

I am surprised you got the Vortex Point-n-Shoot Attachment for Razor and Viper Digital
this would appear redundant to the PS-100.

Regards

Birder100

MrSmith

Sorry I misread your post. The Vortex Point-n-Shoot Attachment for Razor and Viper Digital Camera Adapters - DCA-VT-PS-100 is one item.

Birder100

Ok i have experimented a bit with the above combination and sad to report back the LX5 does not work at all well with this scope and attachments.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back