• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (27 Viewers)

From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, 2 Avocet, 5 Green Sandpiper, 11 Curlew, 2 Little Ringed Plover (adult + juvenile), 2 Shelduck, 3 Swift, Meadow Pipit over (first of the autumn)

2 Little Egret roosting on the Sailing Pool.

Garden Warbler in the hedge behind the main hide at the Flashes; also at least 3 Lesser Whitethroat, Comon Whitethroat, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs as per Andy P.

North Moors Hide Path

Shoot first and hope the settings are reasonable! Part of a sequence of what appears to be the mating of these two. Look at the one on the leaf.
Spot the change.

This was Friday afternoon .

Attachments

• DSCN9419a.jpg
    DSCN9419a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • DSCN9420a.jpg
    DSCN9420a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
Curlew Sandpiper still at the Flashes this evening, along with 1 Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plover, Lapwing, 7 Avocet, 9 Curlew, 6 Snipe, 2 Common Tern, Shoveler, Teal and 2 Gadwall.

200+ Canada Goose and 30 Greylag Goose in the fields by Hobden Hall Farm. At the Sailing Pool, 15+ Pied Wagtail were around the clubhouse.

Chris

Thats the highest pied wag total this year Chris.They could be roosting at WebbsB :) John

My thanks to the couple in the East hide at the Moors on Friday for their good company and help with the Hobby both the bird and the hobby!

On "my" own
With friend
With irritating magpie - put up with being buzzed for a long time before flying off round the Moors Pool.
Uses three perching points with bear branches on two and the wooden electricity poles at the northern end of the North Moors Pool.

These pics were taken from the East Hide. Tried the North Moors Hide later but only the telegraph perch was easily visible although I could see the bush and the tree. The bird had gone fly about anyway.
For the technically minded - remember that thing called atmosphere;)

Attachments

• DSCN9318a.JPG
    DSCN9318a.JPG
    917.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN9279a.jpg
    DSCN9279a.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • DSCN9328b.JPG
    DSCN9328b.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
Things

Not Sure whether we have another Innocent or a Comedian writing in the North Moors book. 29th moan about the Moors feeders being empty and North Moors being too far away to take good photos. Unsigned again!

HOW many birds can you get on the feeder at the same time? No wonder they empty quickly!

One bullfinch in close up

Attachments

• DSCN9389a.JPG
    DSCN9389a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • DSCN9396a.JPG
    DSCN9396a.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Not Sure whether we have another Innocent or a Comedian writing in the North Moors book. 29th moan about the Moors feeders being empty and North Moors being too far away to take good photos. Unsigned again!

HOW many birds can you get on the feeder at the same time? No wonder they empty quickly!

One bullfinch in close up

1. Perhaps they'd like to volunteer to top up the feeders?
2. The feeders are there for the benefit of the birds not the photographers.

Lost phone.

Hi

I think I may have left my phone in either the concrete hide or moors hide yesterday - anyone find one?

From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, 2 Avocet, 5 Green Sandpiper, 11 Curlew, 2 Little Ringed Plover (adult + juvenile), 2 Shelduck, 3 Swift, Meadow Pipit over (first of the autumn)

2 Little Egret roosting on the Sailing Pool.

Dave J further reported from the Flashes yesterday:

Yellow-legged Gull, 4 Raven, Coal Tit, another Meadow Pipit, Mistle Thrush

From the Flashes this morning Andy A reports:

Curlew Sandpiper, 3 Avocet, 4 Snipe, 3 Green Sandpiper, no sign so far of the Wood Sandpiper

18 Pied Wagtail by the café at the Sailing Centre

Now I have more time I thought I'd put in a decent stint. Arrived at sailing pool at 06:15 and spent about 10 minutes trying to count the pied wagtails which were flying between the jetties and the roof of the cafe...finally managed a certain 18, plus 3 swallows, each occupying the top of a mast!. On the sailing pool there were 6 GC Grebes and a flyover curlew

Finally arrived at flashes 0630-1130
Shelduck (2 juv)
Gadwall (2)
Little Grebe (2)
Avocet (3)
Lapwing (c30)
LRP (1 + juv)
Curlew Sandpiper (1)
Dunlin (1)
Snipe (4)
Green Sand (4)
Wood Sand (1)
Jay (2)
Raven (1)
Blackcap (1)
Lesser Whitethroat (2)
Whitethroat (1)
Song Thrush (1 juv)
Greenfinch (3)
Water Rail (1 from Hen Brook hide)

...Moors 1200-1530
Greylag (41)
Tufted (12)
Little Grebe (3)
GC Grebe (1)
Little Egret (1)
Cormorant (11)
Water Rail (1 juv)
Coot (60+)
Lapwing (40+)
Herring Gull (14)
LBB Gull (18)
Kingfisher (1)
Hobby (2)
Coal Tit (2)
Cetti's Warbler (2)

August closed on 107 species - above the average of 105.57 - with the year list advanced to 139 species.

It will come as no great surprise that September is usually a very productive period with three entries in the list of Top 10 months and an overall average of 108.67 species; it has also recorded the highest number of species of any month overall (185).

Potential additions to the year list during September include:-

Garganey, Pintail, Scaup, Merlin, Spotted Redshank, Little Stint, Caspian Gull, Short-eared Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Tree Pipit, Rock Pipit, Crossbill

Last edited:
Hobby pictures

A few picture of the Hobby taken at The Moors today.

Attachments

• Hobby-8526.jpg
    Hobby-8526.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 84
  • Hobby-8531.jpg
    Hobby-8531.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Hobby-8559.jpg
    Hobby-8559.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 58
  • Hobby-8562.jpg
    Hobby-8562.jpg