• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2018 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Today I added five new birds to my Year List, putting me at 71.

67. Great Blue Heron
68. Lesser Scaup
69. Brown Creeper
70. Eastern Screech Owl
71. Red-headed Woodpecker

Dave

Two more today, giving the garden a distinctly aquatic feel.

53. Great Cormorant
54. Common Kingfisher

Back to Sweden tomorrow. I failed to make it to one of the lakes nearby this year, so there are lots of species that I wont get for a while now.

Happy New Year Everyone xxx

Slow start to the year due to working 11hr shifts at work (start in the dark & finish in the dark grrrr) and then, on Saturday, I came down with a very heavy cold which has left me feeling SO drowsy :smoke: All of my birding so far has been confined to what I can see from the windows at work or when out delivering newspapers but I'm feeling a bit better today so gong to venture out for a short stroll in Hulne Park.

Total so far......

January 1st

1: House Sparow
2: Rook
3: Herring Gull
4: Blackbird
5: Wood Pigeon
6: Jackdaw
7: Blue Tit
8: Starling
9: Collared Dove

January 2nd

10: Black-headed Gull

January 5th

11: Wren
12: Feral Pigeon
13: Carrion Crow
14: Pied Wagtail

Not stressing at all as circumstances beyond my control have got in the way of birding properly and I have another 51 weeks to enjoy myself :t: Taking part in Bird Watching Magazine's #My200BirdYear as I generally lose focus around late spring and the past couple of years have seen my allotment taking up way too much time :smoke: 2018 is the year I take back my birding!!! :t:

Right.....off to bird HP and tick off some woodland goodies :king:

Back in Sweden and got two more on the way from the airport before it got dark

55. Hooded Crow
56. Whooper Swan

On the way home from work I picked up a new bird for the year.

74. Merlin

This bird has been wintering in a city park for the past several years. I’ve already looked for it four times this year and finally got lucky today on my fifth attempt. I pulled up and there it was perched on a light fixture at a baseball field.

Dave

I had to go near to Kenilworth this afternoon so took the chance to call into the Abbey Pool for the Whooper Swan that has been there for a few days. It was easy to see as it was only about ten feet from the bankside.

58. Whooper Swan

This afternoon I took a walk through a thick pine grove behind my house looking for owls. I had a great look at a roosting Barred Owl who didn’t seem too concerned by my presence at all.

75. Barred Owl

Dave

Last edited:
Went for a cycle around Uppsala today to pick up a few extra birds:

57. Eurasian Tree Sparrow
58. Common Redpoll
59. Arctic Redpoll
60. Mute Swan
61. Common Goldeneye
62. Red Crossbill
63. Twite
64. White-throated Dipper

Three new birds today, so I’m now up to 78 for the year.

76. Red Fox Sparrow
77. Pine Siskin
78. Horned Lark

Dave

Last edited:
I have changed my car so decided to have a drive in it today to see what it's like on a run. I had a day out in Gloucestershire and had four new birds of the year, two of which were real quality birds.

59. Penduline Tit
60. Stonechat
61. Meadow Pipit
62. Richards Pipit

Today I went to the Ohio River, which forms the border between West Virginia and Ohio, to chase a Great Black-backed Gull that had been reported yesterday. I dipped on that bird, but did add three birds to my Year List.

79. American Herring Gull
80. Peregrine Falcon
81. Double-crested Cormorant

Dave

Last edited:
A friend sent me a message telling me that both a Caspian Gull and a female Mandarin Duck was less than half a mile from my house on Stoke Floods, Coventry. Needless to say that I loaded up and was on site within 10 minutes. The Mandarin Duck was feeding with the Mallards and the Gull was sitting motionless on a pontoon way out in the lake.

From here I followed my mate to the nearby Longford Park as there had been a few Ring-necked Parakeets that had been seen a few times over the past few days. Sure enough as we got out of the car two could be heard and within minutes they were spotted in a nearby tree to the car park.

63. Mandarin Duck
64. Caspian Gull
65. Ring-necked Parakeet.

After work I stopped by a site on the Monongahela River where a pintail had been reported. I quickly found my target, which was a new bird for the year.

82. Northern Pintail

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back