• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

App usage 101 - do apps use data? (1 Viewer)

I know this question is SO basic it might appear unbelievable to some that I could be posting it, but I am new to smartphones. And to apps. Let alone birding with a phone and a birding app. We all have to start somewhere: so if I load the Collins app, will I need data to access it in the field? I have very few apps on my new, and first iphone, and always have wifi coverage when I use it at home....so if I suddenly arrive on Lesvos, will I need data?

Bird list approaching 3000, but I have some catching up to do when it comes to moving from field guides to phone guides...., thanks, rio

best way to check is to go into airplane mode on your phone, and check you can do everything you need to do on the phone.
you do get some nasty surprises with apps not loading because they can't get to the internet to give you adverts, but the collins app will likely be ok.

( Ebird can be a bit restricted, if it can't go online to show you hotspots. You can get around this by loading up blank checklists for the places you will visit while on wifi, and these will then be in your offline ebird recent locations history. )

I will second the advice given about going into airplane mode at home to check that everything works as it should. Unless you have an unusual contract with your phone company, it will be a good idea to keep the phone in that mode while traveling to avoid roaming charges. You can still turn Wifi on while keeping the rest of the phone in airplane mode.

Niels

Thanks everyone...you made me feel my question had some validity, at least! I'll try that airplane mode idea, thanks for the suggestion. Never used roaming before, and I don't want to be a casualty...

some apps require a connection and the method above is solid to check such. note though that beyond this app. it is worthwhile getting a prepaid sim at your destination and using it under your control for updates especially of security settings and OS firmware. you will unfortunately have to do a little research on settings controls over which apps use push notifications and automatic updates and also turn off any cloud saving some phones and apps have. not too difficult to learn but as you are new to smartphones you need to pick up a bit of knowledge.
consider also if your snartphone uses mobile data for any areas of communications such as facebook mesenger, emails etc. you can set some to use only wifi (for example at your hotel, a friend's home or a café). again though, wifi is not as secure as your own data and some hotels charge extra.
basically, beyond this app. your phone is a communications device and you may need it for emergency contact to or from. this is all off your original topic but worth considering. some carriers do reasonable roaming deals, or as i suggested you could buy prepaid data sim but that is a different phone number.
finally a modern phone should cover most areas of the world but they do have regional variants so check also the frequency bands it uses are ok for your destinations.
also, in paranoia land, be very careful of paypal or other electronic payment settings such as android pay and google pay and doublecheck your security settings for such.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back