• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P900,P950,P1000 spec comparison (2 Viewers)

nikonmike

Nothing that puts it ahead of the P900 for me

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 356
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 191
It seems a curious launch to me: does it reflect disappointment in P1000 sales and the need to generate some interest in super zooms in the face of good competition?

It could simply be an upgrade. Adding raw, better EVF for a start. Price suggested is approaching the lowest I have seen for the 1000. Seen far more 1000’s than 900’s around SE kent.

Den

It could simply be an upgrade. Adding raw, better EVF for a start. Price suggested is approaching the lowest I have seen for the 1000.

Adding RAW seems me to be pretty useful. I wouldn't buy a camera today that doesn't have RAW. And the price will come down in the new few months no doubt ... ;)

Hermann

Personally, I have no use for RAW, as I do little or no post processing. Knowing the Nikon P series are large and heavy super-zoom cameras, I initially shied away from them to replace my ancient Canon SX50. Now that it is starting to cause concerns about lasting through the next birding excursion, I went back to Nikon to compare the weights of those various cameras.
My Canon is 551 grams; the P900 899g. Initially, that was enough of an increase to put me off from further thoughts of buying that unit. Then the P1000 came out at 1415g and I thought Whoo! I'd need a handtruck to cart that beast around! The 950 is listed at 1005, still a whopper, imho.
Now the P900 is looking acceptable in comparison. Funny, how relativity skews the perception....

Weight aside, the very acceptable cost of the P900 is most attractive. Several online retailers have it priced in the $400 range.

Possibly, I should renew my gym membership to upgrade my biceps to upgrade my camera. With a trip to south Texas coming up in 7 weeks, it's workout time!

Steve

Steve,The 1000 has a brighter EVF and the manual option is a huge asset. Just yesterday a guy was walking across the back of my house, across growing crops, no right to be there.... so....up with the camera (P1000) and try to get a pic of him...no good, trees and double glazing in the way, so switch to manual adjust the ring and GOTTCHA! Almost as quick as it took to write this :)

Almost impossible with the 900 without having to fiddle about to set manual by which time he would have gone

I have used the 1000 manual setting many times and consider it a must have for a walkabout wildlife camera it is fact so easy to use that I would probably be happy to use it all the time. Very rarely is it mentioned in reviews, but for me it is one of the most useful aspects of the camera.
Well worth the extra money ( I still have my P900 as well)

Den

Steve,The 1000 has a brighter EVF and the manual option is a huge asset.
Den

Thanks, Den. I agree the manual option is an attraction. The lesser weight and reduced price of the 900 outweigh that option in my mind. I'll be 70 in a few months; not really weak armed yet but I'd hate for my new camera to do me in!
I haven't owned many cameras but I don't think much of the Canon's EVF. Any of the Nikon's we're discussing will surely be a great deal better.

Steve

There is setting in the evf so you can brighten the image, it is medium by default. Same for the monitor.

I am 83 and struggle to walk far, even made myself a walking frame with wheels, but the extra weight of the 1000 is no problem, especially when it comes to taking pictures

Den

There is setting in the evf so you can brighten the image, it is medium by default. Same for the monitor.

I am 83 and struggle to walk far, even made myself a walking frame with wheels, but the extra weight of the 1000 is no problem, especially when it comes to taking pictures

Den

Hi Den

I've tried to adjust the EVF brightness from the Monitor Settings menu but on my P1000 the EVF options is not highlighted. Any ideas way ?

Rgds Mark

I only have the 900 and the 1000 John, but from looking on the net it seems the 950 does not have the manual ring like the 1000. Seems to me that the 950 has added Raw and the brighter EVF (like the 1000)

I will once again, sing the praises of the manual focus on the 1000...picking out a rat on the lawn at dusk for example :) :)

Den

Here's a thread over at dpreview about manual focus on the P950. The P950 reportedly uses a "sidewheel" rather than the ring, but comments from users are positive:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4467590#forum-post-63645155

Many threads on the P900-P950-P1000 over there. Image stabilization (VR) is evidently much improved over the P900, and perhaps autofocus too. People seem to like the P1000 a lot too. For me, trying it in the store, it's just too big and awkward. But if you're used to a DSLR and huge lens, it may seem manageable enough.

Does any-one knows the crop factor (i.e. the increase in equivalent focal length) of the P1000, when doing FHD videos?
I tested one last week and noticed that the 4K vídeos have lower mags than the FHD (still have to estimate the decrease...), but I'm not sure if I will manage to estimate the crop factor of one of these... Remembered too late...
For those that have both the P950 and the P1000, the vídeos crop factors are similar on both models?
Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back