• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (2 Viewers)

18 species for me, by far my best night so far this year. Total of 38 moths.

Stars of the catch were two Toadflax Brocades, a species that was very rare up to a few years ago and still a good one to catch round here. A lifer for me, and a very smart moth.

Also NFY Angle Shades, Scalloped Hazel, Heart and Dart, Common Marbled Carpet, Rustic Shoulder-knot

Steve

Last edited:
18 species for me, by far my best night so far this year. Total of 39 moths.

Stars of the catch were two Toadflax Brocades, a species that was very rare up to a few years ago and still a good one to catch round here. A lifer for me, and a very smart moth.

Also NFY Angle Shades, Scalloped Hazel, Heart and Dart, Common Marbled Carpet.

Two as yet unidentified - waiting for the light to improve before photographing them and sending them to one of the local gurus.

Steve

Would be a new moth for me.

Quick catch up on some recent moths:

May Highflyer
Green Carpet
Oak Hook-tip
Knot Grass

Attachments

• 20200507 (2)_May_Highflyer.JPG
    20200507 (2)_May_Highflyer.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200508 (2)_Green_Carpet.JPG
    20200508 (2)_Green_Carpet.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200508 (3)_Oak_Hook-tip.JPG
    20200508 (3)_Oak_Hook-tip.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200509 (1)_Knot_Grass.JPG
    20200509 (1)_Knot_Grass.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 27
Quick catch up on some recent moths:

May Highflyer
Green Carpet
Oak Hook-tip
Knot Grass

Never had that at my trap either.

Since I started in 2004, I've never had a year without a tick, seems only a matter of time but there is still a lot of common stuff I could get. The last four years have each given me three new species, fingers crossed that this year doesn't break my run!

Last edited:
I've had five ticks already, mainly due to starting trapping much earlier than usual because of not going out birding - one positive for coronavirus restrictions.

Steve

I've had five ticks already, mainly due to starting trapping much earlier than usual because of not going out birding - one positive for coronavirus restrictions.

Steve

Ditto except I've had 13 - last one was Mullein a week ago though, maybe I'm getting into the period when I might have trapped at least a bit.

Today's moths in pictures below.

John

White Ermine
Angle Shades
Grey Pine Carpet
Poplar Hawk Moth
May Highflyer

Attachments

• 20200510 (2)_White_Ermine.JPG
    20200510 (2)_White_Ermine.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200510 (5)_Angle_Shades.JPG
    20200510 (5)_Angle_Shades.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200510 (6)_Grey_Pine_Carpet.JPG
    20200510 (6)_Grey_Pine_Carpet.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200510 (7)_Poplar_Hawk-moth.JPG
    20200510 (7)_Poplar_Hawk-moth.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200510 (8)_May_Highflyer.JPG
    20200510 (8)_May_Highflyer.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 21
Ditto except I've had 13 - last one was Mullein a week ago though, maybe I'm getting into the period when I might have trapped at least a bit.

Today's moths in pictures below.

John

White Ermine
Angle Shades
Grey Pine Carpet
Poplar Hawk Moth
May Highflyer

Thirteen new species already, bloody low listers...............;)

Poorer night for me last night. Temp dropped around 00:30.
2 SS Darts, 2 Brimstone, Pale Tussock, Scorched Carpet, Silver-ground Carpet, Treble Lines, Light Brocade and a Marbled Minor agg. Plus the usual worn pug!
3 garden ticks out of that.
Won't be trapping for next five days based on rubbish weather forecasts.
Ref the comment more people on this thread than usual - trying looking at the sites of moth trap purveyors (ALS, W+D), all sold out! Mothing, the new Birding.

Poorer night for me last night. Temp dropped around 00:30.
2 SS Darts, 2 Brimstone, Pale Tussock, Scorched Carpet, Silver-ground Carpet, Treble Lines, Light Brocade and a Marbled Minor agg. Plus the usual worn pug!
3 garden ticks out of that.
Won't be trapping for next five days based on rubbish weather forecasts.
Ref the comment more people on this thread than usual - trying looking at the sites of moth trap purveyors (ALS, W+D), all sold out! Mothing, the new Birding.

I have often in the past, attended my light until the early hours. I found consistently, that the busiest time was midnight until 0200hrs, after that, I hardly had anthing to the light.

I moved my trap to another position last night and got 34 Macros, didn't bother with micros.
Along with 2 Poplar Hawk-moths were an Eyed and a Lime Hawk-moth, both NFY.
Also NFY were Lime-speck Pug, Rustic Shoulder-knot, Pale Oak Beauty, Knot Grass, Marbled Minor agg. and Spruce Carpet.

I won't bother again until next weekend unless the forecast changes.

Lew

Lacking as I do a trap I have to make do with moths encountered organically, as it were, and here are my recent sightings. Always supposing I've identified them correctly they are Common Marbled Carpet, Silver-Y and Orange Underwing.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 42
Lacking as I do a trap I have to make do with moths encountered organically, as it were, and here are my recent sightings. Always supposing I've identified them correctly they are Common Marbled Carpet, Silver-Y and Orange Underwing.

Agree with first two. Last isn't Orange Underwing-looks like Small Yellow Underwing to me.

Trap back out again last night - its been too windy for a couple of days. 28 moths of 13 species in it. Shuttle-shaped Dart runaway winner with 14 individuals.

NFY: Buff Tip, Spectacle, Grey Dagger (I think some have reservations about identifying the last, I'm going for the common option).

Best of the rest the year's second Poplar Hawk-moth.

John

I wasn't going to trap but went out at 21:20 and it was cool but cloudy so thought there was nothing to loose. 23 moths of 11 species. 6 S-S Darts, 5 Brimstone, 2 Scalloped Hazel, S-G Carpet, Green Carpet, 2 Light Brocade, Common Pug, White-spotted Pug, Nutmeg, Heart + Dart, Small Waved Umber. 1 unknown in fridge still. W-S Pug and Nutmeg were lifers.

Trap back out again last night - its been too windy for a couple of days. 28 moths of 13 species in it. Shuttle-shaped Dart runaway winner with 14 individuals.

NFY: Buff Tip, Spectacle, Grey Dagger (I think some have reservations about identifying the last, I'm going for the common option).

Best of the rest the year's second Poplar Hawk-moth.

John

Our recorder will only accept as an aggregate unless dissected but you do get individuals that are clearly much darker.

Still too cold and windy to trap here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back