• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gibraltar straight spring migration - advice sought (2 Viewers)

kstennett

I am thinking of booking a few days away (somewhere between 4 days and a
week) in either southern Spain or Gibraltar to co-incide with the spring
migration next year as a xmas present for my husband.

I would like any advice about where to stay etc. Also I think it would be
useful for us to have a guide or help with identification for at least one
of the days so any suggestions about where to obtain such services would
also be very welcome.

Thank you

Kath

Kath

It appears that I have tried to send an attachment that can't be sent in this forum. I will try to send it via a private e-mail but if that doesn't work you will find my trip report in the birdtours.co.uk.

regards
John J

Thanks

Thank you, I found your report on Birdtours and it looks very helpful.

What was your opinion of the hotel you used? Does it have a web site by any chance?

Kath

Kath

We booked as a part of a package holiday and whilst it offered everything you would need I wouldn't recommend the location. It was right on the main coast road that stretches along the Costa del Sol and was ridiculously busy. You took your life into your hands sometimes and god forbid that you were not sure where to come off as you just got carried along with the flow.

There are loads of places to go in that area as it is one of the most popular areas of Spain. At the time of the year you would be going I would guess that there would be plenty of accomodation in that area and even closer to where you want to go. I would suggest that you do a search on the web. Ask a question such as "accomodation in the Costa del sol". That will more than likely supply you with web sites, e-mails and phone numbers. You may find that quite a few people own properties in this country and if you are an RSPB member I would suggest that you look in the latest Birds magazine as there are a few places advertised in there.

Feel free to ask me any question and if I can help I will.

Regards
John J

Spring or Autumn

As it happens my husbands Bird watching Mag arrived yesterday complete with a supplement about destinations for birding. This included Spain and the Tarifa area is mentioned.

It says the best migration is the Autumn one. I didn't know that (my husband is really the keen birder).

Should I wait and book for the autumn instead or will a visit to the area in March provide plenty of good birdwatching anyway?

Kath

To be honest, whichever period you chose you should enjoy yourself. It is a great area. Whenever you go, enjoy yourself, and good birding!

Regards
John J

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back