View Single Post
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 15:18   #82
Creba

13 April Shenyang University

Morning rounds at the University keeps on adding species. The first minutes I counted the waxwings that were gathered on the high electricity wires just outside the University terrain, to an exact number of 152. A White-cheeked Starling (lifer!) joined the waxwings for a minute or so. I had a female Daurian Redstart at the south side, along the railway, were some workman hang there birds in cages on the trees. I have the impression it attracts migrants that want to check it out. At this location I also had Pallas's leaf warblers, several Bluetails, Greenfinches and a bunting I noted as a female Yellow-throated one, but after looking at the plate in the fieldguide, it could have been a first winter rustic bunting as well (or should they have the rustic color already by now?). There is a bench there, maybe next time I should just sit there and wait...

The last birds I noted, already hurrying to get home, were a pair of Hawfinches. The number of Pallas's leaf warblers and Red-flanked Bluetails were highest minima until then.

Species list for Shenyang University and suroundings (N and S of Channel), 13 April 2018, 5:40 8:05:
L = Lifer, C = New to China list, T = New to Trip list, P = New Patch addition
? uncertain, not counted in lists

1 Oriental Turtle Dove - Streptopelia orientalis
2 Common Swift - Apus apus
3 Great Spotted Woodpecker - Dendrocopos major
4 Azure-winged Magpie - Cyanopica cyanus
5 Eurasian Magpie - Pica pica
6 Bohemian Waxwing - Bombycilla garrulus 152ex
7 Pallas's Leaf Warbler - Phylloscopus proregulus 24ex
8 Goldcrest - Regulus regulus 3ex
9 White-cheeked Starling - Spodiopsar cineraceus (L,C,T,P) - 1ex
10 Red-flanked Bluetail - Tarsiger cyanurus 20ex, incl 5 m
11 Daurian Redstart - Phoenicurus auroreus (T, P) - 1 f
12 Eurasian Tree Sparrow - Passer montanus
13 Brambling - Fringilla montifringilla
14 Hawfinch - Coccothraustes coccothraustes (C, T, P) - 2ex
15 Chinese Grosbeak - Eophona migratoria
16 Grey-capped Greenfinch - Chloris sinica
17 Yellow-throated Bunting - Emberiza elegans ? Maybe 1st winter Rustic bunting?

Trip list: 48 (+3)
Patch list: 43 (+3)
China list: 119 (+2)
Lifelist: 370 (+1)