• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (4 Viewers)

Not much to report today at Tice's although there was one Green and one Common Sandpiper and hundreds of Sand Martins followed by my first patch Swallow of the year. No Wheatears whatsoever and the Sedge Warbler was missing from the Silt Pond Reed bed. Other Warblers very much in evidence with numerous Chiffchaff, Willows, Blackcaps and Whitethroats. Of interest is the Garden Warbler again seen, this time by Rich H, which was some 15 days or so early and remains along the embankment; I did think this was a passage bird and perhaps was moving north.

Rich

Last edited:
Fairly quiet again today, 2 Green Sands present on the workings, 100+ Sand Martins hawking over the workings giving great views & my first House Martins this year. Still no sign of the Sedge Warbler, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warbler, & Whitethroats seen. Wildfowl no's are low with only 2 each of Teal & Gadwall noted & 1 Egyptian Goose. Other species seen - 4 LRP, 2 Common Tern, Stock Dove, Skylark, Reed Bunting, & 10+ Swallow.

John.

3 Dunlins yesterday (via Rich H). Surprising to have not seen Greenshank to date given that a number had been seen by this time last year.

Rich

Surprising to have not seen Greenshank to date given that a number had been seen by this time last year.

Rich

Last year just the early Greenshank had been seen on the 8th/9th April before the next were seen from the 7th May.

My prediction for Greenshank is from the 22nd (next Friday) with the 24th/25th being very good days for migrants at Tices in the past. Whimbrel, Grasshopper Warbler, Turnstone and Whinchat.

Kevin

Popped down this evening, min of 2 Green Sands present but very mobile, also min 4 LRP's. Good no's of Sand Martins hawking over the workings, a min of 50 I estimated with a few Swallows. Back early tommorrow morning lets see what turns up!

John.

Common Sandpiper present this morning along with 1 Green & min of 4 LRP's, no other migrant waders found. Two Common Terns on the workings, 70+ Sand Martins resting on the islands, & a Buzzard in the paddocks over the A31.

John.

Common Sandpiper present this morning along with 1 Green & min of 4 LRP's, no other migrant waders found. Two Common Terns on the workings, 70+ Sand Martins resting on the islands, & a Buzzard in the paddocks over the A31.

John.

Nothing much more to add although extremely surprised to see 2 Muntjak at 0615hrs as I walked along the embankment. Both were flushed and headed off into the silt pond reed beds. A first for Tice's?

Rich

Two Green Sandpipers still this morning, 6 LRP's, 4 Common Terns, & 70 plus Sand Martins were the highlights this morning. Interestingly 9 Greylags flew in to the workings, the most I can recall seeing at Tices.

John.

One very vocal Redshank this morning. Warblers in full song along the embankment with one Garden Warbler and a Sedge Warbler joining Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Whitethroat.

Rich

Wood Sandpiper at Tice's this evening. Seen on the silt pond directly in front of the southern end of the embankment. At one point was adjacent to a Green Sandpiper and a master class in Tringa identification. Great to see the great and good of Tice's Biriding including perhaps the founder - Dave Smith.

Rich

We should try to get Dave to visit more often! Everytime he visits these days good birds are seen. His firsts for Tices include Crag Martin, Tree Pipit, Turtle Dove, Turnstone, Water Pipit, Med Gull to name a few.

Kevin

Tices Meadow 21st April, 0630-0715

Wood Sand still present this morning. Also 1 Dunlin moulting into sum pl, 1 Common Sand, 12 Common Terns, 7 or more LRPs, 6 (4 male) Gadwall, 15 (8 male) Tufted Ducks, 40+ Sand Martin, 1 GCG, 1 Cormorant, 2 singing Reed Warblers, a male Yellow Wagtail which arrived while I was there and a pair of Shelduck over W (0658).

John

Forgot to say ... the Wood Sand is the earliest ever for the Hants/Surrey Border area by 1 day. Previous earliest 2 at Eversley GP on Apr 21st in 2002. I am busy updating my old book Birds of the Hants/Surrey Border from 1984.

John

We should try to get Dave to visit more often! Everytime he visits these days good birds are seen. His firsts for Tices include Crag Martin, Tree Pipit, Turtle Dove, Turnstone, Water Pipit, Med Gull to name a few.

Kevin
Kevin .... I think my Turnstone on Aug 1st 2008 was the first for Tice's!

John

Having dipped the Ring Ouzel at Staines Moor this morning I decided to re-visit the patch following a brief spell in work. Met Sean Foote and Johnny Allan at Tice's. Sean had been there for some time but could relocate the target bird initially.

Luckily he found the Wood Sandpiper on the workings and I took both visitors to the viewing area adjacent to the reedbeds where the bird showed well eventually. 8 LRPs also present along with 1 Dunlin, 10 Common Tern, 1 Reed Bunting, 1 Sedge Warbler and 2 Reed Warblers.

Rich

Last edited:
The Wood Sandpiper was showing very well on the workings this morning, in fact easily the best views I've had of the species. Also 2 Reed Warbler, at least 6 LRP, 12 Common Tern, & at least 10 Whitethroat.

John.

The Wood Sandpiper was showing very well on the workings this morning, in fact easily the best views I've had of the species. Also 2 Reed Warbler, at least 6 LRP, 12 Common Tern, & at least 10 Whitethroat.

John.

Sorry to have missed you there this morning, John. Did bump into Graham who said he was unable to locate the Wood Sand. Plenty of Whitethroat singing in the hedgerow though, along with one or two Lessers. Also one or two Garden Warbler, though they were very elusive. Also a few House Martin in amongst the Sand Martins.

Matt.

First Swift of the year at Tices this morning seen by me & Kev Duncan, but no sign of the Wood Sand. Also a Garden Warbler along the bank in full song in addition to the now present Summer migrants & residents.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back