• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need new pocket bird book,recommendations please? (1 Viewer)

Tinca

2 kids max please
Hi folks,my 1981 copy of mitchell beazley has survived the years well,the info is obviously well out of date though!Im looking for something of similar size but more info on the rare/vagrant species.
Any help much appreciated.

Hi Tinca,
I just bought the latest version of the Mitchell Beazley (2002 version) which now boasts 430 species covered. I'm actually quite impressed with it's content for such a small book - and it fits neatly in my small binocular/notebook bag. I can't think of anything that is as comprehensive for the size..
The 'better' guides tend not to be very portable (and I've got most of them, I think) with even the famous 'collins' in paperback still being fairly bulky.

Thanks steve,i'll give it a look.Im house bound at the moment so havent been able to browse the local bookshops,the old one(bought when i was a lad with paper round money)has been a close pal on and off over the years.
I've got ref books collapsing my shelves but no good when im fishing or wandering,so the smaller the better really.Didnt realise the collins was so highly regarded but i've only recently joined BF,one more among several hundred eyebrow lifters.Thx again,may your lenses never fog |:d|

My lenses never fog, they're nitrogen filled!
The Collins Guide is 'the' bird guide and available now in paperback for around a tenner.
If you've not got it....get it.

When I had a paper-round my 'guide' was the observers book of birds. How I missed out!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back