• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Birding Year 2018 (1 Viewer)

So I decided to stay local and head down the Gower on Friday with my old man. Absolutely freezing in the hide at Whiteford Point, with the Easterly wind whipping up the sea making it very choppy. Best we could manage were 3 Common Snipe and a few Brent Geese. Walking around the point though, and being sheltered by the wind, birding became a lot easier. It's usually the other way around here. There were 100's of Brents, Turnstones, Dunlins, Ringed Plovers, Sanderling, couple of GCG's, Eider and 3 Mergansers :t: Also, walking past the National Trust cottage on the way back, in a small pool of water in the field was a Green Sandpiper. Neither of us had seen one here before:t:

129. Ringed Plover
130. Eider

We then decided to stop at Crofty Marsh for half an hour. I genuinely can't remember a better 30 minutes birding with regards to species seen - absolutely superb:t:

On arrival a pair of Red Kites were circling quickly followed by a stunning view of a male Merlin coming off the marsh and across the road like a missile. My father then mentioned the Egret feeding in the ditch behind us. Assuming it was a Little Egret I raised my bins to see an amazing Great White Egret - two more were to follow in the remaining time. Three Kestrel were seen over the marsh along with a Common Buzzard and then, when packing away, I had one last scan. A Ringtail Hen Harrier was quartering the marsh. I quickly got my scope out of the boot and watched it with for a few minutes with my father. During this time I could have sworn another Harrier species flew through my view but I kept on the Ringtail. It was later reported that a Marsh Harrier was also seen on the marsh that afternoon. A brilliant end to a brilliant day:t:

131. Hen Harrier
132. Merlin

Attachments

• IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    646.4 KB · Views: 26
Have had really limited opportunities to go birding recently. Fortunately, my eldest had a friend over for a sleepover on Saturday and they both like Pokemon Go. So it was off to Garwnant. It was absolutely nobbling so we didn't spend too long there but did add:

133. Willow Tit

This is one of the more reliable locations for them around here.

Rich

Only 5 weeks to go until the Scottish trip:t:

Grabbed a 20 min lunch break at Pembrey Harbour today. A few decent birds around including: Skylarks, Stonechat, Red Kite and Kestrel. Also had my first Wheatear of the year which is about 2 weeks earlier than last year.

134. Wheatear

Then after work we headed down to Llanrhidian stopping off at Penclawdd on the way. At Penclawdd we had a cracking view of a Greenshank and another year tick in the form of a Common Sandpiper.

135. Common Sandpiper

Then at Llanrhidian had a really enjoyable couple of hours watching Stonechats, 3 Great White Egrets and a Short Eared Owl. Pleased about the last one as it's rarely been reported down this winter so we got lucky.

Rich

Had a lovely couple of hours at Penclacwydd with the boys today. Good to catch up with Paul whom I follow on Twitter and a good selection of birds - 3 Spoonbills, 2 Spotted Redshanks, the long staying Ring-necked Duck and a Sparrowhawk took a Collared Dove no more than 6 feet behind me:eek!:

Added o the year list:

136. Knot

Went for a meal out with my family today as it was my parents anniversary. I can totally recommend the cod and chips at The Shed in Porthgain. My 11 year old can recommend the mussels:t:

http://www.theshedporthgain.co.uk

Anyway. Whilst waiting for the others to arrive we had a short walk around the headland. Ravens were displaying and there were a few Rock Pipits around. Added the following to the year list:

137. Shag

Then stopped off at Newgale Beach on the way home and added another year tick.

138. Gannet

Also bumped into an old colleague from a couple of years ago in the local pub which was a bit of a surprise. Nice to catch up:t:

Rich

Headed down to Kenfig Pool this morning. First Swallows and Sand Martins of the year were over the pool. Was hoping for a Willow Warbler but all I could manage was a few Chiffchaffs. Also present were Goldeneye, Sprawk, Kestrel and good numbers of Greenfinch.

Good to catch up with Neil - a birder from Bridgend. Very knowledgeable and good company.

139. Swallow
140. Sand Martin

Next it was up to an undisclosed site in the valleys. For once a hunch paid off. My usual site for this species has seen a great deal of logging, so all I've seen there on the last couple of visits have been a couple of Common Buzzards, and Ravens.

Anyway, there were 3 displaying in total:t::t: 2 males and a female.

141. Goshawk

Got tomorrow off so am trying to decide where to head. Given the weather forecast I think it might need to be somewhere with a hide3:)

Rich

Headed down to Penclacwydd for a couple of hours. On the way down a low male Peregrine flew over just by the roundabout over the Loughor Bridge.

Again, couldn't find a Willow Warbler but there were plenty of Chiffs around at Penclacwydd itself. The tide was amazingly high - higher than I can recollect before. A couple of Spoonbills were present and the long staying RND was still on the deep pool. Added the following:

142. Mediterranean Gull

Boom!!

I think the book may well and truly be closed for best bird of 2018. Belted down to St Davids with Kev after work and there she was. A massively unexpected lifer:t:

Absolutely elated.

143. Snowy Owl Lifer # 3 B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)

Attachments

• IMG_5300.jpg
    IMG_5300.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 29
Despite the weather, had a lovely walk down from past the Ivy Tower, to the Cimla. Blackcaps were singing at the 4th Gnoll Pond;Willow Warblers at the third; a male Goosander on the 2nd; and more Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs at the first with a few House Martins flying over.

145. House Martin

Had a lovely visit with friends to RSPB Dinas today. Had a picnic down by the river whilst the children played in the river! Looked bloody freezing to me but they don't seem to feel the cold:eek!:

Still a little early in the year but after a bit of searching my first Common Redstart of the year was found. A stunning male at the end of the boardwalk. A Goosander flew over and Ravens, Common Buzzards and Red Kites were generally getting on each other's nerves over the mountain. (Incidentally there were 15-20 Red Kites over Defynnog on the way home:t:). In the car park I put some seed down and quickly a heap of birds came down to feed- Coal Tits, Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Marsh Tits and Yellowhammers.

A great day out:t:

146. Common Redstart
147. Yellowhammer

Attachments

• IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    576.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    465.6 KB · Views: 18
A couple of nice year ticks this afternoon at Penclacwydd, and near the Loughor Bridge.

148. Little Gull
149. Whimbrel

Got a couple to add from the recent Scotland short break which I'll sort out shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_5401.jpg
    IMG_5401.jpg
    774.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5411.jpg
    IMG_5411.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5412.jpg
    IMG_5412.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 12
From the Scottish trip:

150. Hooded Crow
151. Velvet Scoter
152. Cuckoo
153. Tystie
154. Guillemot
155. Razorbill
156. Manx Shearwater
157. White Wagtail
158. Fulmar
159. Black-Throated Diver
160. Twite
161. Golden Eagle
162. White-tailed Eagle

Dipped on Black Duck, American White-winged Scoter and Surf Scoter. Only had an hour at Musselborough though as it was on our way back to South Wales. Did have one lifer in the form of a Pine Martin:t:

Belted down to Pembs today (picking up Kev on the way) after the rugby festival near Pontypridd.

Great views were had of the Green Heron. The owners of the home where the bird is located were incredibly accommodating :t:

164. Green Heron Lifer#4 B :)B :)B :)

Attachments

• IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    565.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 21
Had a cracking short birding session in the Beacons yesterday. No Ring Ouzel at a site I know of but amazing to watch a male Peregrine and 3 Red Kites in the same binocular view:eek!:

Did have a year tick today whilst sat at my desk:t:

165. Swift

Was heading up to Goldcliff this morning but decided to cross the bridge to the dry side for a change. Glad we did as at Portbury Wharf was a cracking Spotted Sandpiper. Had great scope views but too far for a decent shot.

166. Spotted Sandpiper Lifer# 5B :)B :)
167. Sedge Warbler
168. Common Whitethroat

A lovely morning. Now just waiting for my new niece/ nephew to arrive:t:

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_1047.JPG
    IMG_1047.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 21
Headed over the dry side of the bridge today to look at some pups. Added the following:

169. Common Tern
170. Stock Dove

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back