• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye relief issues? (1 Viewer)

davekelley

(Reposted as accidentally first posted on the Nikon subforum)

Hi, I am new on this forum. Thanks to the administrators for accepting me and I hope to enjoy many visits and will attempt to contribute when I can. First, I have a problem....After much studying of binocular reviews, I took delivery today of a pair of nikon m7 (ii) 8x30 bins. Now I love the sharpness and the clarity and brightness but I have a problem. In order to take in the full wide field I need to retract the eyeguards all the way in.....when I do this I need to hold the bins away from my eyes in order to see the field stop. Is this a disadvantage of the generous eye relief? I love a wide field but I don't get the benefit of it if I have to pull up the eyeguards so I feel cheated!! (I don't wear glasses when viewing). Should I return them and buy some with a shorter eye relief? Is there a solution?

I really love them apart from this issue, despite there being noticeable false colour when viewing say a rooftop against a bright sky background..

Thanks for any advice..

Dave

(Reposted as accidentally first posted on the Nikon subforum)

Hi, I am new on this forum. Thanks to the administrators for accepting me and I hope to enjoy many visits and will attempt to contribute when I can. First, I have a problem....After much studying of binocular reviews, I took delivery today of a pair of nikon m7 (ii) 8x30 bins. Now I love the sharpness and the clarity and brightness but I have a problem. In order to take in the full wide field I need to retract the eyeguards all the way in.....when I do this I need to hold the bins away from my eyes in order to see the field stop. Is this a disadvantage of the generous eye relief? I love a wide field but I don't get the benefit of it if I have to pull up the eyeguards so I feel cheated!! (I don't wear glasses when viewing). Should I return them and buy some with a shorter eye relief? Is there a solution?

I really love them apart from this issue, despite there being noticeable false colour when viewing say a rooftop against a bright sky background..

Thanks for any advice..

Dave

When I first started getting into binocular astronomy, I would search a huge patch of sky for Andromeda. On becoming experienced in the craft, I had only to throw the instrument to my face ... and there it was ... every time. I haven’t been a regular in years, but I can still do it.

Now, your eye placement is critical; often frustrating because of blackouts. With experience, there is a very good chance you will come to love the extra eye relief. It’s not a given, but a strong possibility. :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 2.15.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 2.15.49 PM.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I just can't read that attachment and I really want to! It just isn't possible on my little laptop but thanks. But what is my solution? I thought these monarchs had it all and they might have it all...but I can not get the most out of them..perhaps it's me and my eyes?

I have the same Nikon m7 8x30 as you. I also use bins without glasses, althought I have them. My method is to put the bins against my eyebrows with eyecups down. In that way the eye relief of 15 mm (?) is just right for me to see the entire field. Maybe my facial structure is compatible with that amount of eye relief... :t: With glasses the eye relief is too short for me, so I wouldn't call M7 eye relief "generous".

I can also see the whole field with pulled up eyecups. Then I just have to get the bins deeper, close to my eyes.

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

The M7 8x30 don't really have long eye relief but individual facial physiognomy varies, so if you need to partially extend the eyecups to see the full field, that is quite normal - I have a pair of Pentax 8x30 which need this too.

They should in theory have enough friction so they can be used partially extended. If not, one or two rubber o-rings as a spacer - as recommended in your first thread on the Nikon forum - might do the trick.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back