• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (1 Viewer)

four days without bird watching

Hello,

I had a long weekend without bird watching. Today, I had a somewhat brief outing as rain, once again, sent me homeward.

Last week, I did notice a pair of spotted sandpipers, at the south end of the Reservoir, which was rather curious but I also saw a gray cheeked thrush . Today, I saw a Canada warbler and a common nighthawk, which is uncommon in Central Park.

I fear that warbler season is coming to an end. As summer replaces what New Yorker call spring, flycatchers may be the only birds of interest to turn up.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Gray cheeked Thrush.jpg
    Gray cheeked Thrush.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Canada warbler.jpg
    Canada warbler.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 56
  • nighthawk.jpg
    nighthawk.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Yeah, we've had a lot of rain and a lot more coming over the next week so not much birding for me either.

Nature in the Park

Hello,

I have not seen a new bird species since my last posting. I did see a northern flicker, yesterday, which I had not seen for a while.

I did locate a a baltimore Oriole nest as well. Their nests are a marvel. I also spotted an Eastern king bird, at its nest.

I have been hearing bull frogs bellowing around the Lake. Our female turtles are looking for a nice spot to dig nests. Last week, I saw a pair of snapping turtles mating in the Lake. These monsters enjoy eating mallard ducklings.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Turtle.jpg
    Turtle.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 47
Hello Arthur, I enjoy your posts. I have not been able to visit the USA unfortunately but have heard that Central Park remains quite pristine from early days which is certainly remarkable in an age of so much change and affords you these opportunities. Is your viewing all from your window or do you get out and about? I am 'stuck at home' myself much, most, of my days and my daily delight with birds is limited to a small garden and some nearby trees but gives me a lot of pleasure and opportunity to learn. I wonder if you are fortunate enough to make your observations from the Dakota?

Hello Jape,

I am gratified that you enjoy my posts. For the first few years of this thread, I did indeed make most of my observations from my flat. For the last five years, I have been able to visit Central Park several times each week. I do not have a flat in the Dakota or any block of flats facing the Park. Those flats have a starting price of about US$60,000 per square metre. My flat, almost one km away from Central Park, is worth a small fraction of that amount.

The Park is totally engineered, rather than pristine. Thousands of horse drawn wagon loads of topsoil were needed before most of the trees were planted. The Lake and the Pool are fed from municipal water mains. The Reservoir is fed from aqueducts. Forty years ago, the Park was in a dreadful state of disrepair which has been corrected.

Happy bird watching,

Summer weather has arrived

Hello,

Today, the temperature reached 32ºC, which is enough like summer for me, even if the solstice is a few days away.

Last week, I was happy to see another orchard oriole, this time from Triplets Bridge. They are rather less common than Baltimore orioles.

I include an iPod photograph of mallards, a hybrid duck, and what I identify as an immature double crested cormorant, which has appeared frequently of late.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Orioles, orchard.jpg
    Orioles, orchard.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Mallards and cormorant.jpg
    Mallards and cormorant.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 53
Temps were about the same down here Arthur and it's not even summer yet. Predicting much higher during the rest of the week

Hello Arthur,

I was in Central Park yesterday, but not for birding. However, I was glad to hear Warbling Vireo near Belvedere Castle (is that The Pond?) and Baltimore Oriole on the way out. An American Robin was extremely tame, sunbathing on the side of a path and not moving as we passed just a foot or two away.

Hello,

Jape, thank you for the birthday wishes.

Birdmeister, the Pond is at the southeast corner of the Park, near the Plaza Hotel. New Yorkers do not seem very fond of names. Most of the grid is numbered. Central Park has the Lake, the Pool, the Meer and the Reservoir. Belvedere Castle, currently closed for renovations, overlooks Turtle Pond, once called Belvedere Lake. Warbling vireos seem to nest each year in the Park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

a long time in the summer bird watching doldrums

Hello all,

Although other have seen early migrants, magnolia and black and white warblers, waterthrushes, and even red breasted nuthatches. I have not. I did see a juvenile brown cowbird, a couple of weeks back, and there are still barn swallows over the Reservoir. I was pleased to see a immature red-tailed hawk with a light coloured chest in the same tree where I last saw Pale Male.

Today, I did see a flycatcher at a distance. I would guess that it was a willow/alder flycatcher, which are indistinguishable except by song.
Today was the second day when the temperature stayed below 29ºC and humidity was not high but August can still be hot. My advice to those who wish to visit New York is come in the autumn.

I do not have images of immature red-tailed hawks or brown cowbirds, so the mature ones are shown.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• cowbird.jpg
    cowbird.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Barn swallows.jpg
    Barn swallows.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Red-tailed on a branch.jpg
    Red-tailed on a branch.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 53
  • alder flycatcher.jpg
    alder flycatcher.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 52
Midway through the summer: a hint of autumn

Hello all,

Last week, I saw my first downy woodpecker, an immature one. Today, a fellow BFer pointed out a northern flicker on the ground, which I did not see but a few minutes later, I saw one atop a tree. The fellow BFer also pointed out an Canada warbler and a yellow warbler, then another was unsure of a black and white warbler, which turned out to be one.

New York has enjoyed a rather warm and humid summer, with above average rain fall. Yesterday, we had about seven cm. of rain, making for a rather wet month, which is not even half over, after a wet July.

All illustrations are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. The first from the Cornell archives and the others form Birds of New York..

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• Downy.JPG
    Downy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 65
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Canada warbler.jpg
    Canada warbler.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Yellow warbler.jpg
    Yellow warbler.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 57
  • black and white warbler.jpg
    black and white warbler.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 35
exciting

Hello all,

Since my last post, I did see a chestnut sided warbler in autumn colours, probably a bon-breeding female,

However, for once the report of an interesting bird was actually fruitful. I was told of two female Female belted kingfishers, at Turtle Pond. I arrived there a good thirty minutes after the report and spotted one in a tree. Then it went fishing and was soon joined by another. They were not very close and very active. I did see them hit the water but I am uncertain if they mad a catch.

New York has received a lot of rain this summer. We have received far more rain since the first of August, than we usually do the whole month. The weather and other appointments have kept me away from the park. Today, I am attending an important union convention.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 40
Just a quick note to say that this is a fantastic thread. I'm sure that this has already been noted earlier in the thread but I think its a real delight and charm that you use those prints from an old guide to illustrate the sightings that you've had.

I've always considered returning to New York one day. When i went previously I wasn't a birder but next time I go I will definately stay near Central Park and use this thread for inspiration as well as guidance for where to bird.

Last edited:
Hello,

Yes, KC, we have had quite a bit of rain, this summer. Last night another 1.7 cm came down, taking us to more than 20 cm, so far this month. At least, our reservoirs are not lacking for water.

Hello DD, if I may, I thank you for your kind words. The illustrations do not come from a field guide but from Birds of New York by Elon Eaton, published more than a century ago. The illustrations were painted by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, a famous academic ornithological illustrator. He was employed by Cornell University on expeditions long before colour or action photography was available. Cornell University has an archive of his work. I may have used illustrations of woodpeckers from another work of his.

Yesterday, I was hurried trying to get to that meeting, which was both important and interesting, on time. I am adding an Agassiz Fuertes illustration of belted kingfishers, one of which I saw today. Monday was only the third time I have seen a kingfisher.urrs are much larger and less colorurful than the Eurasian ones. I also managed to see a worm eating warbler and a northern mockingbird, today. I usually the mockingbirds in the colder months, along quiet residential streets.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• belted kingfisher.jpg
    belted kingfisher.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 32
  • worm eating warbler.jpg
    worm eating warbler.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 31
  • mockingbird.jpg
    mockingbird.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Summer continues

Hello all,

New York summer, with high humidity and temperatures of 32º and 33ºC, this week. Today promises a little cooler weather.

In my last posting, I neglected to mention seeing an American redstart.
Yesterday, I heard a warbling vireo and I had a good look at an Eastern wood pewee.

Strangely, at least on of those female belted kingfishers has stayed near Turtle Pond for about two weeks. I saw it yesterday. This is curious because Central Park has seen the belted kingfisher only a few times in the previous fifteen years.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• American Redstarts.jpg
    American Redstarts.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 24
  • warbling vireo.jpg
    warbling vireo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Eastern wood pe(e)wee.jpg
    Eastern wood pe(e)wee.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 30
humid weather

Hello,

We have had some warm and humid weather which has been caused, in part, by Hurricane Florence. Today, we had a foggy morning. I should not complain because Florence will deliver high winds, torrential rains and flooding to the Carolinas. At least, it has been downgraded from a force 5 hurricane.

Yesterday, I managed to see a black throated blue warbler, a ruby throated hummingbird and a common yellowthroat. I also saw an American redstart.

Today, I saw nothing new but I another American redstart, a black and white warbler and I saw belted kingfishers over Turtle pond, perhaps a male. This means that we have had three weeks of kingfishers which is very unusual.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Attachments

• Foggy morning.jpg
    Foggy morning.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 30
  • Black throated blue wing.jpg
    Black throated blue wing.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Hummingbird, ruby throated II.jpg
    Hummingbird, ruby throated II.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 28