• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brit dies from Sea Snake - Aus (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
This is such a rare event, given that the mouth of a Sea Snake is so small and add to that they are rear fanged making an invenomated bite, you'd think, pretty impropobable.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45755135

Anyone who's had a walk on the beach in e.g Goa, has probably seen a dead sea Snake on the beach, even good sized animals, their mouths really are tiny.

Last edited:
Fatally bad luck on his part I think.

Hauling nets, snake tangled in the nets, maybe amongst weed, he grabs what he thought was a weed-wrapped rope and found something he hadn't noticed. Terrible luck.

I saw a live one in inches of water at the mouth of the Baga River in Goa, looking down from the path around the headland on the north side. Some people on the beach below me had just noticed it and were getting excited. Once I saw what it was I tried to get the camera onto it, but just as I was pressing the focus button it turned south and vanished into the depths. The sea over there must be full of them, hundreds of people in the water - no bites, because they don't feel threatened.

Fatally bad luck on his part I think.

Hauling nets, snake tangled in the nets, maybe amongst weed, he grabs what he thought was a weed-wrapped rope and found something he hadn't noticed. Terrible luck.

I saw a live one in inches of water at the mouth of the Baga River in Goa, looking down from the path around the headland on the north side. Some people on the beach below me had just noticed it and were getting excited. Once I saw what it was I tried to get the camera onto it, but just as I was pressing the focus button it turned south and vanished into the depths. The sea over there must be full of them, hundreds of people in the water - no bites, because they don't feel threatened.[/QUOTE]

They're in nets very often and I've seen fishermen just take them unconcernedly by the tail and drop them overboard, as you say, fatally bad luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back