• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eyepiece for tsn-1 scope (1 Viewer)

jangodog

Retired
Hello. I got this old 77cm scope with the 77 30X wide eyepiece and
want to ask you if there is a zoom eyepiece I can use to get more range
on my scope?

Attachments

• IMG_6281.JPG
    IMG_6281.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6274.JPG
    IMG_6274.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6276.JPG
    IMG_6276.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6280.JPG
    IMG_6280.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 94
Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

You're probably going to get better answers in the spotting scope forum - this one is on digiscoping only. Maybe a moderator can move this thread there.

All current and discontinued EPs for the small body Kowas fit your scope - available new are a slightly updated version of the 30x wide and the current 20-60 zoom which is ok but not great.
Please stay away from the old Kowa zoom with the rubber eyecup - it is awful.
The best zoom options would be either an Opticron HDF or SDLv2 zoom, which will fit the TSN-1/2/3/4.

But in my opinion, your TSN-1 has the best available EP right now with the 30x wide EP. Since it has an achromatic doublet objective, the image will start to get worse past 40x or so, so you would be trading 10 times more usable magnification for a vastly smaller field of view in the zoom. I would stay with the 30 wide.

There used to be a 45x wide - if you can get this used somewhere, it might be good option at the limit of what your body is capable of.

If you had the fluorite variant, things would be different as these are sharp up to 60x (and beyond if you get the EPs). I have a TSN-3 with the Opticron SDLv2 which is quite nice at its maximum of 52x (rarely used at lower mag).

Joachim

Hi. Thank's and yes i'll post in spotting scope section as well:) You seem to know a lot about the subject
and i can understand the ep i use now is the most durable. If only there was one with more range/zoom
so i could get closer to the objects:)

Thank's for your input, Joachim and have a nice day.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back