• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just a few pics! (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

Spent a couple of hours at a Nature Reserve yesterday afternoon and this Green Woodpecker kept us entertained for about forty minutes, fortunately it was pleasantly warm in the hide!

Attachments

• P1030157.jpg
    P1030157.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 32
  • P1030158.jpg
    P1030158.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 28
  • P1030190.jpg
    P1030190.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 16
  • P1030192.jpg
    P1030192.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 24
  • P1030177.jpg
    P1030177.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 25
Hi Pam,

Lucky you with the 'pecker. It took me about 30 years to get a photo of a Green 'pecker and you have one cavorting around right in front of you.

Bill.

I like the pictures Pam, a nice lady 'pecker. Now I've got a camera the 'peckers are what I want to capture on SD card, funny it doesn't have the same ring as capture on film does it?

Great pics Pam, especially the woodpecker. You're very lucky to have had such good views for so long. It's amazing how time flies when you're sitting in a cosy hide with plenty to watch isn't it!
Keith, how do you tell it's a female?

Nice photos Pam. Never seen a Green Woodpecker. Sounds like you had a good day.
All the Best Pam, Judo.

Oh! The woodpecker is handsome! How big is he? Is he mostly a ground feeder or does he get his food from under the tree bark?

Who are the birds in the water? Beautiful pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Lydia

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Bill she was cavorting around quite nicely, she seemed to favour a couple of places to feed and was just flying back and forth to each place!

I hope you get your peckers on Sd card Keith, and thanks for the tip on recognising male and female.Of course the male has to be that little bit more colourful doesn't he. ;)

Kezza we were lucky it was a mild day as it was about 3.00pm when we arrived at the hide, and what with the short days!!!!Say no more! Thanks for asking Keith the question now I will know what to look for! :t:

Maurice they feed mainly on ants, it was mostly at the edge of the grassy area and on the raised grassy area so I presume it was getting some nice ants and grubs too!!!

Lydia the size of the woodpecker is, Length 30-36cm/Wingspan 45-51cm,food mainly ants and spends much time on the ground. Information courtesy of my field guide o:) They are lovely to see, this is the first time I have seen one for such a length of time, normally you need your binoculars to see them on an old tree somewhere! |=)|

The birds in the water are Curlews (Numenius arquata), they flew in just before we were leaving so I managed to get a couple of pics! My field guide describes them as the largest wader with unmistakable very long, evenly decurved bill.(longest on the female, shorter on the male and juvenile). Makes a change for the female to have something bigger and better than the male ;)

Thanks again folks, I am glad you enjoyed viewing the photos as much as I enjoyed sharing them with you all.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back