• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man (1 Viewer)

I've been keeping in touch with Lancy via WeChat today. I guess it does serve some useful purpose. 8-P Sounds like he's doing well.

Rain was threatening here so I just hit some of the local patches this morning. Indeed at times I could see where it was raining just to the south. My limited outing was productive however. Right off the bat I spotted a couple of Shrike that I initially thought were Brown Shrike but the 'beefier' look with 'no neck' and the slightly smaller size proved to be the less common Bull Headed Shrike. I thought I could hear a few Chinese Penduline Tit in the same locations where they were seen last week, but never got a look at them this time. Hanging around hopefully means they will nest here this year. While trying to get a look at them I came across a bird that puzzled me and later at home still just didn't quite fit with any of the field guide illustrations. Finally an Oriental Bird Club image proved it to be a Female White-Throated Rock Thrush. That was a new tic and a good ID photo as well, which was enough to make it a good outing.

However, a short distance later when I diverted to a small wetland area to try to get a good look at the Ring-Necked Pheasant I could hear crowing in there, I ran across a male and female Yellow-Rumped (aka Korean) Flycatcher. The female stayed well under cover, but I did manage my first good ID shots of the male.

I briefly glimpsed a Eurasian Kestrel zooming by and landing on the flat top roof of the Electric Co. building. Couldn't see, but from what I could hear I would surmise that it had some nestlings up there that it was feeding.

Red-Rumped Swallow have made several attempts at nesting in our apartment complex but the Barn Swallow have always drove them off. Last fall the management actually did some maintenance on the buildings and cleaned out all the old BS nests. I noticed this morning that a few mud nests under the awning in front of the little shops looked different than the typical Barn Swallow nest and sure enough, I caught a R-RS working on building up one of the nests. Maybe they will manage to establish a colony.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
May 17, 2018 9:30 AM - 10:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 kilometer(s)
9 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 2
Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 1
Bull-headed Shrike (Lanius bucephalus) 2
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 1
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 30
Red-rumped Swallow (Cecropis daurica) 5
Korean Flycatcher (Ficedula zanthopygia) 2
White-throated Rock-Thrush (Monticola gularis) 1
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 20

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45757766
Nice find and photo of the White-Throated Rock Thrush!:t:

Wow, lots happening here. Love it! Lancy, the best quick field observation to separate Green from Wood Sandpiper is that the supercilium looks like it extends well behind the eye in Wood Sandpiper but terminates at the eye for Green.

Owen, that is a good photo of a very hard bird to find -- female White-throated Rock Thrush.

Wow, lots happening here. Love it! Lancy, the best quick field observation to separate Green from Wood Sandpiper is that the supercilium looks like it extends well behind the eye in Wood Sandpiper but terminates at the eye for Green.

Owen, that is a good photo of a very hard bird to find -- female White-throated Rock Thrush.

Thanks, Tom! I was trying to relocate the Green Sandpiper with no luck. The flight call was good to separate it from Wood Sandpiper.

Last edited:
May 18th, 2018. Wetland park.
I started birding the park at 5:00 am this morning for about 4 hours. Twenty nine species and 2 more need to be confirmed. Five lifers are:
Yellow Bittern: seen in flight and hunting
Little Ringed Plover: one on mud bed with a peep
Whiskered Tern: good number as White-winged Terns
Eurasian Kestrel: when I came back to my room and opened a window, a male flew right below my eye level.
Oriental Reed Warbler: the identity of yesterday's mystery bird has been revealed!
I have one bunting and one peep to be confirmed (photos attached). I am thinking Little Bunting and Long-toed Sandpiper. Please comment with your thoughts. Thanks!
One that got away: the bridge. I couldn't locate it and miss the chance to meet Owen. We will be birding some local hot spots tomorrow. Stay tuned!:t:

Full list today:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45785318
Ring-necked Pheasant
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Yellow Bittern
Gray Heron
Little Egret
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Eurasian Moorhen
Black-winged Stilt
Little Ringed Plover
Common Sandpiper
shorebird sp.
Black-headed Gull
Little Tern
White-winged Tern
Whiskered Tern
Common Tern
Rock Pigeon
Common Cuckoo
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Eurasian Kestrel
Azure-winged Magpie
Eurasian Magpie
Barn Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Light-vented Bulbul
Yellow-browed Warbler
Oriental Reed Warbler
White Wagtail
Eurasian Tree Sparrow
passerine sp.

Attachments

• P5170240.jpg
    P5170240.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 72
  • P5170245.jpg
    P5170245.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 9
  • P5170226.jpg
    P5170226.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 76
  • P5170231.jpg
    P5170231.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 16
Little Bunting. And do you mean Long-Toed Stint -Calidris subminuta? Not as likely but possible. I would have probably said Wood Sandpiper, but now that you bring it up the legs do look shorter.

May-18 Panjin Wetland Park

Since I missed my connection with Lancy this morning, I decided to go east instead of west in the Wetland Park and explore new territory. I was running late due to getting distracted by what I thought might have been a Black Drongo near the bus stop and wandering off to try and verify it. No joy.

First of all I should say that trying to direct someone without being onhand at the Panjin Wetlands Park is really difficult since the Google map doesn't even look remotely like the reality. Also in the last 20 years I have never found anywhere in China that you could get accurate maps showing any detail. The best I have is an old Nelles paper map of North East China from 2009 that is too coarse on detail and too out of date to help on local navigation. Plus the map names more often than not don't match with the common local names. For instance the Shangtaizi He is commonly called the Lao He locally. Today's outing was typical. After getting home it took great effort to try and figure out where I had been on Google.

All that aside, it was an interesting outing. I ended up going all the way around the east end of the lake. The usual Black-Headed Gull were in the majority, but I did find a few Common Tern, one Little Tern and a mystery that even the ID forum is passing on so far. A tern with a very dark body, almost pure black. Unfortunately, every shot I took of them was blurred or not in focus. Very quick moving with sudden changes in direction. I'll post them following this and maybe someone here can ID them.

The Black-Crowned Night Heron were poaching fish from the nets stretched across the lake and I managed a decent pic of a Purple Heron as he flushed and then dropped back down into cover. A few Little Egret were showing their yellow toes on a bar in the middle of the river along with numerous gull and tern.

A few Chestnut-Flanked White Eye Were hiding in the cover of the recently leafed out trees, but I managed to get one to peek out long enough to ID it.

I had one other mystery with what I first took to be a Purple Martin mixed with some Barn Swallow. It hovered on the wind right over me briefly and just as it dawned on me, "Wait a minute, Purple Martin in China?" it broke away and disappeared. Basically swallow like, maybe a little bigger and what I could only describe as purple all over. No pic as it didn't occur to me that it was odd until just as it disappeared.

Panjin Wetland Park, Liaoning, CN
May 18, 2018 9:45 AM - 1:45 PM
5.0 kilometer(s)
17 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 1
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 4
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 1
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) 8
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 10
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 30
Little Tern (Sternula albifrons) 1
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) 10
Oriental Cuckoo (Cuculus optatus) 1
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus) 4
Red-rumped Swallow (Cecropis daurica) 3
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 3
Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus) 6
Oriental Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus orientalis) 50
Chestnut-flanked White-eye (Zosterops erythropleurus) 2
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45788336

Attachments

• Black-Crowned Night Heron.jpg
    Black-Crowned Night Heron.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Black-Crowned Night Heron (1).jpg
    Black-Crowned Night Heron (1).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Black-Crowned Crowned Night Heron.jpg
    Black-Crowned Crowned Night Heron.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Purple Heron.jpg
    Purple Heron.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 14
  • Common Tern.jpg
    Common Tern.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 11
Some more May-18

Not to brag Lancy, (OK bragging) but Little Egret, Saunder's Gull and Black-Headed Gull in one picture.

Attachments

• Little Egret - Saunder's Gull - Black-Headed Gull.jpg
    Little Egret - Saunder's Gull - Black-Headed Gull.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Little Egret - Common Tern - Black-Headed Gull.jpg
    Little Egret - Common Tern - Black-Headed Gull.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Mine!  Go away!.jpg
    Mine! Go away!.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Home on the Range.jpg
    Home on the Range.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Yellow Ground Squirrel.jpg
    Yellow Ground Squirrel.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 9
Mystery Tern

Now for the mystery Tern. Do not adjust your screens, it's really that bad.

Attachments

• NT4A1578.jpg
    NT4A1578.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 16
  • NT4A1581.jpg
    NT4A1581.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 13
  • NT4A1580.jpg
    NT4A1580.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Whiskered Tern?.jpg
    Whiskered Tern?.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Now for the mystery Tern. Do not adjust your screens, it's really that bad.
I'm reading this thread backwards.
I had the same question this morning when there two types of dark(ish) terns flying around. The dark cap and under side fit Whiskered Tern IMO. The other one was White-winged tern.

Little Bunting. And do you mean Long-Toed Stint -Calidris subminuta? Not as likely but possible. I would have probably said Wood Sandpiper, but now that you bring it up the legs do look shorter.

The photos could be misleading. In field, it was not far from a Little-ringed Plover. The size comparison indicated it was a small peep. The thin down curved bill seems unusual for Wood sandpiper and it didn't have white rump. Both little stint and Rufous-necked Stint have dark legs. I don't know much else...

Since I missed my connection with Lancy this morning, I decided to go east instead of west in the Wetland Park and explore new territory. I was running late due to getting distracted by what I thought might have been a Black Drongo near the bus stop and wandering off to try and verify it. No joy.

First of all I should say that trying to direct someone without being onhand at the Panjin Wetlands Park is really difficult since the Google map doesn't even look remotely like the reality. Also in the last 20 years I have never found anywhere in China that you could get accurate maps showing any detail. The best I have is an old Nelles paper map of North East China from 2009 that is too coarse on detail and too out of date to help on local navigation. Plus the map names more often than not don't match with the common local names. For instance the Shangtaizi He is commonly called the Lao He locally. Today's outing was typical. After getting home it took great effort to try and figure out where I had been on Google.

All that aside, it was an interesting outing. I ended up going all the way around the east end of the lake. The usual Black-Headed Gull were in the majority, but I did find a few Common Tern, one Little Tern and a mystery that even the ID forum is passing on so far. A tern with a very dark body, almost pure black. Unfortunately, every shot I took of them was blurred or not in focus. Very quick moving with sudden changes in direction. I'll post them following this and maybe someone here can ID them.

The Black-Crowned Night Heron were poaching fish from the nets stretched across the lake and I managed a decent pic of a Purple Heron as he flushed and then dropped back down into cover. A few Little Egret were showing their yellow toes on a bar in the middle of the river along with numerous gull and tern.

A few Chestnut-Flanked White Eye Were hiding in the cover of the recently leafed out trees, but I managed to get one to peek out long enough to ID it.

I had one other mystery with what I first took to be a Purple Martin mixed with some Barn Swallow. It hovered on the wind right over me briefly and just as it dawned on me, "Wait a minute, Purple Martin in China?" it broke away and disappeared. Basically swallow like, maybe a little bigger and what I could only describe as purple all over. No pic as it didn't occur to me that it was odd until just as it disappeared.

Panjin Wetland Park, Liaoning, CN
May 18, 2018 9:45 AM - 1:45 PM
5.0 kilometer(s)
17 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 1
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 4
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 1
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) 8
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 10
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 30
Little Tern (Sternula albifrons) 1
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) 10
Oriental Cuckoo (Cuculus optatus) 1
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus) 4
Red-rumped Swallow (Cecropis daurica) 3
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 3
Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus) 6
Oriental Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus orientalis) 50
Chestnut-flanked White-eye (Zosterops erythropleurus) 2
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45788336

I found the same problem! Locals describe locations like it's easy to get everywhere. I got lost all the time. It's similar like in Newfoundland that Portugal cove and Portugal cove south are 400km apart. There are also more than 20 Freshwater something:eek!:
I put my two cents in another reply re the mystery bird.
I had a Common Swift. Could it be the Purple Martin like bird?
I would postpone my Dalian trip for a Black Drongo 8-P

I agree with Lancy on the tern ID. Not sure how to say this, but the "Saunders's Gull" photo is actually a Black-headed without a black head. Saunders's bill should be all black and stubbier. They are also considerably smaller than Black-headed when side by side. I can see how that individual Black-headed Gull could be mistaken for Saunders's given its smaller looking and darkish bill in the photo.

Yes to Little Bunting and Long-toed Stint. The Stint is a good find but likely at this time of year along that coast.

Love the ground squirrel Owen.

Thanks Lancy,

I had ruled out Common Swift due to not noting a white chin patch, but checking the opus I see the notation that the chin patch is not visible at a distance. I haven't seen before so I think that is it indeed. Small bird at range against a bright blue sky, I probably misread the coloration. Looks good in overall form.

I already had the title on one photo as Whiskered Tern? and the ID forum also thinks that is what they were, so I'm going with that. That was towards the end of my outing and I was getting worn out. The shot was probably close to 200 meters and it would have taken time and effort to get closer that I just wasn't up to by then.

Yes, black bill on Saunder's. In all fairness I didn't even know I had one until I got home and cropped the photo. The only one I saw today and it was basically accidental. The Little Egret were the thing I was really going for. The voice is another good ID point if your closer than I was for that one.

Another point is that due to the cultural thing of saving face and not wanting to say no directly, locals often don't have a clue about where things are but will always give you directions even if they are completely wrong.
Honghaitan is another one. Most taxi drivers in Dawa don't know how to get there but it doesn't stop them from taking the fare. Also, the whole area west and southwest of Dawa is locally termed Honghaitan.

We enjoyed a wonderful trip to Honghaitan and Yingkou wetland. Thanks to Owen for arranging it. Befoe I post a full report probably tonight (or Owen will do as he was taking notes while I doing nothing), I would appreciate some ID help. We had a godwit from a distance. We did not get much detail without a scope. I'm leaning towards Bar-tailed due to the up-curved bill.
I can't decide what these small peeps could be.

Attachments

• 04-52-28-2400.jpg
    04-52-28-2400.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 04-33-55-113426lssjbhhllvvmv4uh.jpg
    04-33-55-113426lssjbhhllvvmv4uh.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 75
We enjoyed a wonderful trip to Honghaitan and Yingkou wetland. Thanks to Owen for arranging it. Befoe I post a full report probably tonight (or Owen will do as he was taking notes while I doing nothing), I would appreciate some ID help. We had a godwit from a distance. We did not get much detail without a scope. I'm leaning towards Bar-tailed due to the up-curved bill.
I can't decide what these small peeps could be.

My best guess of the peeps would be Sanderling or Rufous-necked Stint.
Owen has higher quality photos of the Godwit I think.

May-19 Honghaitan w/Yancy

Hi everyone,

Sorry for being out of the conversation a bit but family emergency intervened last night. Our little Russian Terrier took a sudden turn for the worse and barely survived the night. X-rays and blood work later the Vet says that basically she is just getting old and apparently was allergic to the oysters the wife shared with her at lunch. I actually thought she was dead once last night, but has rallied a bit again this morning. Hence I only got three or four hours of sleep last night.

All that aside, I'll give a try at a listing. I'm a bit muddle headed right now, so if I miss anything or get an ID wrong Lancy can correct me. At Honghaitan:

Saunder's Gull - definite - I got this one right ;)
Eurasian Curlew - I didn't manage to get a usable in flight shot, but we could clearly see the identifying white triangle on the back
Greater Sand Plover
Terek Sandpiper - I lost it when I switched from bins to camera but we both clearly noted the upturn of the bill
Black-Bellied (Grey) Plover
Gull Billed Tern Good thing I had Yancy along as it was new to me
White-winged Tern Again Terns aren't my thing but Yancy knew it at a glance
Eurasian Oystercatcher
White Wagtail
Spot-billed Duck
Oriental Reed Warbler

As Yancy said, one could spend several days there if they chose and the real peak of migrants was a month ago.

Attachments

• Saunder's Gull (2).jpg
    Saunder's Gull (2).jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Eurasian Curlew.jpg
    Eurasian Curlew.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Greater Sand Plover.jpg
    Greater Sand Plover.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Grey Plover.jpg
    Grey Plover.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Eurasian Oystercatchere.jpg
    Eurasian Oystercatchere.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 20
May-19 Yingkou Wetland Park w/Yancy

The afternoon was at the Yingkou Wetland Park area.

Dunlin Big numbers - on the mud
Greater Sand Plover
Kentish Plover - Very few and widely scattered as well as far out
Whiskered Tern
Little Tern - Yancy called it out just as I was saying, "What is that little Tern out there?
Bar-Tailed Godwit
Red-Necked Stint
Watercock Yancy never picked it out of the reeds where two were hiding
Whimbrel
Black-Winged Stilt
Eurasian Cuckoo
Spot-Billed Duck
Oriental Reed Warbler

Attachments

• Dunlin.jpg
    Dunlin.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Dunlin - Greater Sand Plover.jpg
    Dunlin - Greater Sand Plover.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Eastern Bar-Tailed Godwit.jpg
    Eastern Bar-Tailed Godwit.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 17
  • Dunlin - Red-Necked Stint.jpg
    Dunlin - Red-Necked Stint.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Whimbrel (4).jpg
    Whimbrel (4).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back