• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (2 Viewers)

Palaeobiology of Extinct Giant Flightless Birds

Palaeobiology of Extinct Giant Flightless Birds reviews what is known of the palaeobiology of various groups of giant flightless birds that lived at different periods of the geological past, from a few hundred years ago to the late Cretaceous, some 70 million years ago. They include the moas of New Zealand and the elephant birds of Madagascar, the dromornithids of Australia, the terror birds of South America, the gastornithids of Laurasia, and Gargantuavis from Europe.

Their biology, ecology, and extinction are reconstructed on the basis of evidence from sources, ranging from palaeontology to functional morphology, geochemistry, and ancient DNA. The giant flightless birds of the past have attracted the attention of both palaeontologists and the general public since the 19th century, and recent investigations have resulted in considerable advances in our understanding of the biology and ecological of these unusual birds.

The authors summarize what is currently known about the various ways in which these flightless birds adapted to terrestrial environments in different parts of the world at different periods of geological time.

www.nhbs.com/title/214196/palaeobiology-of-extinct-giant-flightless-birds

According to Amazon it will be published on 1 October 2017. (subject to change)

I am slightly disappointed by Mr. Shirihai and his publishing company. I've never seen an author who has more announcements and postponements than him. Three books (FG Seabirds of the World and the two volumes of Birds of the World) by Shirihai have been announced for August 2017. But neither the publishing company Bloomsbury (A&C Black) has confirmed the release date (allegedly August 10, 2017) nor there is an alternate release date for these books.

HWPB (two volumes) will be publishing next July.

Jim

With Shirihai one might begin to wonder what his life expectancy (at least the active phase of it) might be. :-C

Maybe he will travel until he is 70 and then he is going to write his books. I've recently read that all extant sea birds except of Pterodroma caribbea have been photographed alive (during the Tubenoses Project that last since the beginning of the 2000s). Therefor I don't understand why FG Seabirds of the World will not published earlier than 2020. According to Birds of the World I think Shirihai will photograph some thousand bird species more. In 2013 there were around 5000 species photographed by Shirihai

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/u/17330

I seem to recall I read somewhere that a new edition of Birds of East Africa by Stevenson and Fanshawe was planned for this (already past) July. Does anyone have any news on that? This book is already 13 years old, so could do with an update.

I seem to recall I read somewhere that a new edition of Birds of East Africa by Stevenson and Fanshawe was planned for this (already past) July. Does anyone have any news on that? This book is already 13 years old, so could do with an update.

Wildsounds now lists it for November 2019! :eek!:

Wonder what happend to justify such an enormous delay on a rather short notice. In addition, it looks like there might be a shortage of the first edition coming up. At least, NHBS no longer has it in stock and they don't seem to know when they get it again. Of course, they might not have restocked considering the apparent imminent appearance of the new edition.

Last edited:
Wildsounds now lists it for November 2019! :eek!:

Wonder what happend to justify such an enormous delay on a rather short notice. In addition, it looks like there might be a shortage of the first edition coming up. At least, NHBS no longer has it in stock and they don't seem to know when they get it again. Of course, they might not have restocked considering the apparent imminent appearance of the new edition.

Plenty on Amazon although the hardcover starts from 130 Pounds.

NHBS are the last resort for many, they're expensive and they charge postage in the UK which some (Widsounds, Wordery) do not.

A

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back