• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia Feb 2020 independent budget (1 Viewer)

Thanks Richard- looks like I will be exiting the airport at the same time as Jo,then,too.

From what Mike Hunter and other trip reports say ( I have already read the one you recommended, straight after your posting) , we will all need to exchange money and get our visa at the airport before exiting, which may take time

i am assuming we will need to pay for accommodation from the money exchanged at the airport

Will we be paying in advance for the driver/ vehicle / ground agent costs ?

Last edited:
As I've already said, there is a possibility for anyone to add at either end of the trip - if they want to. If I'd had more time available I'd go to Lalebela eg - not just for the birds. There's a lot of the country we won't touch.

OK. More later.

Richard

Hi Richard,
can you say what endemics will be missed on this particular itinerary?

I apologise for not being able to be more involved but as I said, I am boning up for an imminent trip.

It's a real pity that some people don't have a bit more time, IMHO, to maximise what will be for most, their only trip to Ethiopia, this would be better as a three weeker. Some long journeys mean lost birding time and obviously an extra week would help offset that and Jo could have another night with her Wolves.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with Andy that it would be good if we could do three weeks for this and have more time at each place. If we were to plan this for November or December 2020 would that release you of your constraints Richard or is a longer trip just not feasible at any time for you? If no then I'm still okay to stick with this plan.

Cheers

Jo

Yes I agree with Andy that it would be good if we could do three weeks for this and have more time at each place. If we were to plan this for November or December 2020 would that release you of your constraints Richard or is a longer trip just not feasible at any time for you? If no then I'm still okay to stick with this plan.

Cheers

Jo

Hang on a minute there JO, I'm having visions of you, sauntering around Bale in flip flops for a whole week now!

I wouldn't spread the extra week, completely over the existing plan, I'd hope to fit in one or two other sites to increase the number of species / endemics but as I said, I've done no ground work at all on this.

Richard is the driving force here, how would you use another week Richard?

Last edited:
From earlier posts my understanding is with the current itinerary the targets we'd miss are:

"Juba Weaver
Heuglin's Bustard
Collared Lark
White-headed Babbled
Somali Wheatear

are all remote species, which would add massively to the distances for their sake."

Juba Weaver's on, no problem.
The Babbler and the Wheatear are off.
The other two aren't endems.

I'm still working on the itinerary - but I think the 15 days will be fine - you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll post later today.
As I say - you're welcome to add either side - it seems everyone else is keen to extend.

To be frank, my wife hates me being away, and 2 weeks each time is her limit, not mine - I'd happily do three months!!

Btw : where are you off to, Andy?

Thanks Richard- looks like I will be exiting the airport at the same time as Jo,then,too.

From what Mike Hunter and other trip reports say ( I have already read the one you recommended, straight after your posting) , we will all need to exchange money and get our visa at the airport before exiting, which may take time

i am assuming we will need to pay for accommodation from the money exchanged at the airport

Will we be paying in advance for the driver/ vehicle / ground agent costs ?

Sorry, Carol, I missed your post.

Yes, I read that the same way: you have to try and guess how much you'll need! (I've already got some from a friend who's been)

When I choose a ground agent I'll ask about that - would be good if we could pay in advance by bank transfer, say, rather than in local currency on the day.
I think the hotels will be paid at each stop, on check out.

OK: here we go:

Addis to Debra Libranos (2hrs + stops)
Night Debra Libranos (Ethio-German Hotel)
Debra Libranos to Jemma Valley:
Dawn to escarpment - 1hour +
Night Alem Ketema, Jemma
Jemma to Debra Birhan (100kms)
Night Debra Birhan (Eva Hotel)
Debra Birhan to Ankober, Melka Ghebdu (60kms)
On to Awash South (?2 - 3 hrs)
Night in Awash, Genet Hotel
Awash & onto Bilen Lodge area (50kms)(Aledeghi area)
Night Bilen Lodge area.
To Wondo Genet (5-6 hrs + stops)
Night Wondo Genet
Wondo Genet to Bale, birding Bale up to
Dinsho (Bale) 2 - 3 hrs plus stops
Night Dinsho area
Bale/Gaysay to Goba
Night Goba
Sanetti/Harenna
Night Goba or south.
To Negele via Sof Omar (5hrs + stops)
Night Negele
Liben, Melka Ghuba, onto Yabello (4 or 5 hrs)
Night Yabello*
Mega - Soda area
Night Yabello*
Yabello to Awassa (5hrs)
Night Awassa
Awassa to Langano/Ziway
Night Langano.
Langano to Addis

*From Negele to Yabello there appears to be no accommodation - so two nights in Yabello is probably necessitated in order to back-track to Mega - Soda.

I'm still working on the itinerary - but I think the 15 days will be fine - you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll post later today.
As I say - you're welcome to add either side - it seems everyone else is keen to extend.

To be frank, my wife hates me being away, and 2 weeks each time is her limit, not mine - I'd happily do three months!!

Btw : where are you off to, Andy?

Three days in Uganda, mainly for Shoebill and then nine days in Rwanda.

/QUOTE]

Isn't endemic either but you need to visit war zones to see it, Eritrea or Somalia so in reality, it's the only viable place to see it.

Last edited:
Although it was published some time ago, I would thoroughly recommend getting a copy of "Where to watch bird in Ethiopia" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethiopia-Gabremichael-Julian-Francis-Spottiswoode/dp/1408130750. This is possibly the best birding site guide I have ever used.

Along the lines suggested by cheshirebirder, you might look into hiring a vehicle either with a guide as driver, or at least a driver who knows the birding sites. Ethiopian Quadrants should be able to organise this.

Thank you for the book recommendation, DMW. I can not find a more current version of it, than the one that you have provided the link to, so have just ordered it.

It will take a few weeks to arrive.

I am looking forward to reading it.

Best regards, Carol

Sorry, Carol, I missed your post.

Yes, I read that the same way: you have to try and guess how much you'll need! (I've already got some from a friend who's been)

When I choose a ground agent I'll ask about that - would be good if we could pay in advance by bank transfer, say, rather than in local currency on the day.
I think the hotels will be paid at each stop, on check out.

Thank you for the update / clarification Richard.

In my posting I was also making the point that both mine and Jo's exit from the airport could be delayed by both the currency exchange and obtaining the visa. What time does your flight arrive at Richard?

It seems like we will have a fair amount of Birr money to carry around with us.

Best regards, Carol

I did roughly this trip in October 2018. Happy to answer any queries if I can. You haven't mentioned one re-discovered endemic, the Black fronted Francolin. Locals say it can be seen in the pass just south of Mega, we were there at the wrong time, you will need to be there at dawn.
Cheers
Mark

Hi everyone,

Steve Curtis and I will be travelling up from Clevedon, Somerset and attending The Bird Fair, on Friday 16th August, if anyone wishes to say hi, there? We are staying in The Premier Inn in Boston, that night, then planning on doing some birding at Frampton Marsh, the next day, which is not a reserve that either of us have visited before . So there could be an option to meet up in Lincolnshire too, that day...

Let me know if anyone would like to ?

Best regards, Carol

Doesn't looklike I can get there this year. Probably for the best (stops me being tempted!) Have fun those of you who are going!

I did roughly this trip in October 2018. Happy to answer any queries if I can. You haven't mentioned one re-discovered endemic, the Black fronted Francolin. Locals say it can be seen in the pass just south of Mega, we were there at the wrong time, you will need to be there at dawn.
Cheers
Mark

Cheers, Mark,

That one has got under my radar! Thanks for the mention.

Did you have any trouble in the south - roadblocks/checkpoints/permit requirements?

Did you use a ground agent?

Do you think my timetable is feasible? Or am I being over-ambitious?

Thanks,

Richard

All : I've had a quote back from a well-known tour agent. Their quote is $3400 each - inc virtually everything. This includes a guide as well as a driver.
They did quote for top end hotels at most places, but you can see the difference going for this high-end outfit makes. Far too rich for me.

I've had quotes from agents willing to provide drivers - from which my estimate already given is based.
I'm very happy with this, as long as their drivers have the knowledge of the sites we are visiting, and are willing to do what we require.
I'll make further enquiries to this end.

R

Oh yes.
The road between Yabello and Hawassa was closed by protesting displaced persons. We only found out an hour after leaving Yabello. No one, including local police knew what was going on up the road. After an hour of waiting we made the call to go back to Yabello and go a different route. All up a 6 hour detour. It didn't reopen till much later that day.
Out of towns, phone signals are weak, data weaker, roads can be terrible, and roads can close or be re routed. For example, the Yellow throated Seedeater site was almost obliterated by a new road.
You should be aware that the route between Negele and Yabello traverses the Somali province. Current travel advisories warn against travel there. I think this is a higher alert than when travelled, though I didn't know beforehand we would go there. The army checkpoint before the Somali Province was at the Dawa River crossing. Our guide negotiated for 15 minutes to be allowed to enter the province, then another 15 minutes to be allowed to walk around and up the river, the Juba Weaver site. There is major tribal tension and suspicion on both sides, though we just experienced friendly people. As our guide explained, they have no problem with "white" people passing through. Between Bale and Yabello, you are travelling on very remote roads, with very few vehicles. I would not do it without a guide familiar with the people and situation, as well as the birds and sites leaving the driver to drive - it is very tiring. Very little English, if any is spoken outside major centres
Here is my plug: http://www.solomonberhetours.com/birding.asp
Would't have missed it for quids
Mark

Thanks again, Mark. Very useful info there. It seems we need up to the minute info for the Negele - Yabello stage.
I know there was some protests going on around your time there - fingers crossed it has subsided now.

Thanks for the link. I'll give them an email. We obviously need drivers with knowledge of the area. On my proposed itinerary there was a little slack at the end built in because I envisaged delays/detours in the south, and thought it wise.

Cheers. Will be interesting to hear from others who go between now & our trip.

Richard

Cheers, Mark,

That one has got under my radar! Thanks for the mention.

Did you have any trouble in the south - roadblocks/checkpoints/permit requirements?

Did you use a ground agent?

Do you think my timetable is feasible? Or am I being over-ambitious?

Thanks,

Richard

All : I've had a quote back from a well-known tour agent. Their quote is $3400 each - inc virtually everything. This includes a guide as well as a driver.
They did quote for top end hotels at most places, but you can see the difference going for this high-end outfit makes. Far too rich for me.

I've had quotes from agents willing to provide drivers - from which my estimate already given is based.
I'm very happy with this, as long as their drivers have the knowledge of the sites we are visiting, and are willing to do what we require.
I'll make further enquiries to this end.

R

Hi Richard,

I notice, with regard to the Black Fronted Francolin, that Mark mentions, that the long ( 87 page ), trip report that Jo mentions and provides a link to in post #82 of this thread, has information about this Bird. This report seems to provide a lot of useful and helpful information, so well worth reading in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back