• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Squirrels in Vienna (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

I'm staying here for a few months and whilst on a stroll in my local park (Donaupark) was surprised to see both Red and Black variants of the Red Squirrel.

Coming from the UK and living in China it was a delightful and surprising discovery because I hadn't even considered viewing the local mammals.

Just a reminder to anyone visiting that wants to see Red Squirrels that they are easily found in the local parks in Vienna. :t:

I'll add photos later if I find them when taking a long lens along.

Not just Vienna - they are common in many continental European cities.

Speaking of Vienna, AFAIK there are wild hamsters in some places within the city. Also, it's said to have a nice variety of woodpecker species. Just in case you hadn't found those already.

Speaking of Vienna, AFAIK there are wild hamsters in some places within the city. Also, it's said to have a nice variety of woodpecker species. Just in case you hadn't found those already.

Woodpeckers : Yes there were lots in the park ! Great Spotted Woodpeckers galore & a few Nuthatches.

Hamsters : awesome, I'll start researching their whereabouts. Thanks !

Squirrels : I took some nice shots of a Red yesterday. I could only find one (no Black variants were visible) but it permitted me as close as 2m when it was safely treed. Interesting behaviour as it was licking sap seeping out of the trees.

I'll post pics ASAP.

I've seen them in Prague.

I don't think it's Hamsters is it?

Isn't it European Souslik or do they have both?

Image is copyright of Jan Kelchtermans from the Surfbirds gallery and taken in Vienna though no location given.

Attachments

• European Souslik.jpg
    European Souslik.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Following one of my mother's life-long ambitions to feed Red Squirrels in the Vienna Woods, we went there in 1968 (as part of a caravan tour of Europe) and did just that! So this brings back some happy memories.

Yeah they are definitely common in many cities across the region.

In Warsaw you can go to a park and feed Red Squirrels with nuts from your hand, there are tons of them and they are completely used to people.

Following one of my mother's life-long ambitions to feed Red Squirrels in the Vienna Woods, we went there in 1968 (as part of a caravan tour of Europe) and did just that! So this brings back some happy memories.

Maybe these pics will too :t:

Thanks for the other information gents !

Attachments

• Vienna%20-%20Nuthatch%20_KSH3790%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    Vienna%20-%20Nuthatch%20_KSH3790%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel_KSH3817%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel_KSH3817%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Vienna%20-%20Great%20Pied%20Woodpecker_KSH3828%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    Vienna%20-%20Great%20Pied%20Woodpecker_KSH3828%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel%20B_KSH3853%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel%20B_KSH3853%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel%20C_KSH3861%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel%20C_KSH3861%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 6
A couple more - showing the squirrel licking the sap leaking from the tree.

Attachments

• Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel%20D_KSH3882%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel%20D_KSH3882%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel%20E_KSH3918%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    Vienna%20-%20Red%20Squirrel%20E_KSH3918%20Border%20%26%20Logo-X3.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 7
Willd European Hamsters are particularly common around the Meidling graveyard and on the grounds of the nearby hospital. Another good place is the park next to the water tower at Windtenstrasse.

European Souslik used to be found commonly found in the fields east of Oberlaa (S Vienna), but might be rare there now. There is still a big population in the Vineyard areas north of Floridsdorf. Otherwise the Souslik are more common in the area around the Neusiedler See.

Willd European Hamsters are particularly common around the Meidling graveyard and on the grounds of the nearby hospital. Another good place is the park next to the water tower at Windtenstrasse.

European Souslik used to be found commonly found in the fields east of Oberlaa (S Vienna), but might be rare there now. There is still a big population in the Vineyard areas north of Floridsdorf. Otherwise the Souslik are more common in the area around the Neusiedler See.

Good to know, thanks.

Thank you ! Assuming I survive this then I'll go to those places once the restrictions on movement are lifted. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back