• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog in Southern Morocco - help please (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

The attached photo shows a frog seen in February near Iriri (GPS point:30.939, -7.210).

I assume that it is a North African Water Frog (Pelophylax saharicus), but it seems to be at the extreme edge of colouring; no greens at all, no vertebral line.

If so, is this colouring a result of habitat/temperature stress?

Many thanks

Attachments

• frog[97].jpg
    frog[97].jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 41
The attached photo shows a frog seen in February near Iriri (GPS point:30.939, -7.210).

I assume that it is a North African Water Frog (Pelophylax saharicus), but it seems to be at the extreme edge of colouring; no greens at all, no vertebral line.

If so, is this colouring a result of habitat/temperature stress?

Many thanks

The vertebral line is visible but not bright, so the overall pattern is there. I've noticed before that frogs in the early year can be dull or patchy, but brighter later. Do they moult their skin? That would explain it.

John

There aren't many to choose from but Sahara Frog Pelophylax saharicus comes closest that I can see

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sahara_frog_(Pelophylax_saharicus)_2.jpg

Species occuring

Brongersma's Toad
Common Toad
Mediterranean Tree Frog
Pelobates varaldii
Berber Toad
Crowned Bullfrog
Discoglossus scovazzi
Bufotes boulengeri
Sahara Frog
Alytes maurus

I am using the new Amphibians and Reptiles of Morocco by Gabriel Martinez del Marmol et al. (It is a great book if pricey and heavy!)

From this the species using newer taxonomy and accepted naming relevant to this area are;
Painted Frog Discoglossus pictus
Moroccan Painted Frog Discoglossus scovazzi
Brongersma's Toad Barbarophryne brongersmai
Southern Common Toad Bufo spinosus
African Green Toad Bufotes boulengeri
Moroccan Toad Sclerophrys mauritanica
Stripeless Tree Frog Hyla meridionalis
North African Water Frog Pelophylax saharicus

With no parotid gland this rules out all the toads immediately, and it is obviously not a tree frog. Really this leaves either Moroccan Painted Frog or NA Water Frog (old Sahara Frog)

I had assumed that is was saharicus but just wanted to check.

Many thanks to all

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back