• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Birding Year 2018 (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
2017 Total: 227

Well. Like others it seems I've been thinking about this year's list. Thinking about not chasing about here and there for the sake of a list, but concentrating on maybe viewing birds I haven't seen before, and enjoying the birds/situations that I really enjoy. Birding opportunities will also be less this year given my youngest is playing rugby for the local team every Sunday morning, and they both go swimming on the weekend.

Having said all that I went around a fair amount of Gloucestershire today but the birds were amazing. I also covered just under 9 miles by foot (according to my iPhone) which was just what the Doctor ordered after a heavy Christmas.

So New Year's day was much more leisurely this year. I arrived to pick my father up at 07:45 and he was still in the shower. Took the opportunity to have another cup of coffee:t:

Headed straight to Fforest Ganol in the hope of bagging a lifer for my old man. No such luck however as the heavens opened and we retreated to the car. We decided to head to Forest Farm and sit in the hide to get out of the rain. The rain soon eased off and luckily we bumped in to Gareth, a park warden there. Coincidentally I follow Gareth on Twitter so it was good to put a face to the name. Gareth was amazingly helpful and showed us to where he'd seen a Hawfinch earlier. After a quick search, there he was. My old man was absolutely chuffed as it was the lifer he was after- cheers Gar:t:

Next we headed to Kenfig as it was on the way home. Again bumped into a couple of people I follow on Twitter so again, it was great to to put faces to names. Good to meet you Graham and Ed:t: The birder from Newport was also good company though I missed his name. All in all it was very enjoyable few hours birding with my father.

Anyway. The short list for the day was as follows:

1. Tawny Owl
2. Robin
3. Blackbird
4. Rook.
5. Carrion Crow
6. Wood Pigeon
7. Jackdaw
8. Magpie
9. Common Buzzard
10. Herring Gull
11. Nuthatch
12. Great Tit
13. Coal Tit
14. Blue Tit
15. Long-tailed Tit
16. Marsh Tit (in the garden:t:)
17. Wren
18. Greater Spotted Woodpecker
19. Chaffinch
20. Greenfinch
21. Hawfinch
22. Dunnock
23. House Sparrow
24. Bullfinch
25. Cettis Warbler
26. Mallard
27. Grey Heron
28. Kingfisher
29. Great Crested Grebe
30. Little Grebe
31. Slavonian Grebe
32. Coot
33. Moorhen
34. Starling
35. Pochard
36. Canada Goose
37. Tufted Duck
38. Gadwall
39. Black-headed Gull
40. Feral Pigeon
41. Cormorant
42. Mute Swan
43. Goldcrest
44. Goosander
45. Jay
46. Collared Dove

Rich

So today I headed to Gloucestershire with Kev. Despite the weather (and forgetting my wellies!!:eek!:), we had a great time. We visited Parkend, Cannop Ponds, Plockton Court, Crabtree Hill, Slimbridge, Sharpness and Oldbury Power Station. The only bird that didn't play ball was the Black Redstart at Oldbury. I think by the time we got there it had hunkered down for the night.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    361.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    576.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 34
The following were added:

47. Siskin
48. Skylark
49. Mandarin
50. Greylag Goose
51. Kestrel
52. Fieldfare
53. Redwing
54. Common Redshank
55. Lapwing
56. Dunlin
57. Golden Plover
58. Ruff
59. Black-Tailed Godwit
60. Northern Pintail
61. Teal
62. Great Grey Shrike - my best view so far on Crabtree Hill - FOD:t:
63. Penduline Tit - superb little bird
64. Great Northern Diver - another great view on SARA pond at Sharpness by the lifeboat station.
65. Northern Shoveller
66. Stonechat
67. Shelduck
68. Greater White-fronted Goose
69. Barnacle Goose
70. Great Black-backed Gull
71. Curlew
72. Bewicks Swan
73. Pied Wagtail

Also had superb views of Hawfinch at Parkend and met some very decent birders.

Rich

Last edited:
Also had a new mammal in the FOD - Wild Boar. 5 by the Arboretum at Speech House and Kev spooked one on Crabtree Hill. I've never seen Kev jump so high:-O:-O

Attachments

• IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    550.4 KB · Views: 48
Stopped and had my sandwiches at Kidwely Quay today. Added the following:

74. Red Kite
75. Reed Bunting
76. Peregrine
77. Oystercatcher
78. Chiffchaff
79. Mistle Thrush

Worked from home today and whilst at my computer I noticed species #80 on a tree in the front garden. :t:

80. Treecreeper

My youngest and I decided to count how many species we could see today in the garden, and at Penclacwydd. Ended up with 56 which was a new record for us:t: Highlights included great views of Bullfinch, Water Rail, Kingfisher and Marsh Tit. Added the following to the year list:

83. Song Thrush
84. Goldfinch
85. Little Egret
86. Water Rail
87. LBBG
88. Common Snipe
89. Greenshank

Last edited:
Had a walk around Sandy Water Park (Llanelli) during my lunch break. Had superb views of a female Long-Tailed Duck and a Common Gull was also present.

90. Long-tailed Duck
91. Common Gull

Went with the boys down to Rhossili and then 15 mins at Crofty Marsh this afternoon. The new Snugpak Torrent jacket kept me really warm but it was a shame I'd left my gloves in my car.

At Rhosilli the following were added:

93. Common Scoter
94. Linnet
95. Chough- great views.

Then at Crofty a couple more ticks were added.

96. Great White Egret
97. Green Sandpiper.

Will head back here with Kev and spend a bit more time. It's often good for Hen Harrier and Barn Owl.

Rich

Had a cracking day in Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire today with Kev. Left Neath at 6 and headed up to Borth. Dipped on King Eider (again!!) and got totally sandblasted in the process. The wind was so strong my eyes were watering and the sand was stinging. Added the following:

98. Sanderling
99. Meadow Pipit

At Tan y Bwlch beach we headed to the jetty. Quickly added the following:

100. Purple Sandpiper - one of my favourites to take year total up to 100.
101. Rock Pipit

A couple of Chough were also present.

Now it was back to Carmarthenshire via the greasy spoon outside of Llangadog. At Cilsan Bridge there were 42 Whoopers and at Dryslwyn was a couple of Tree Sparrows.

102. Whooper Swan
103. Tree Sparrow

Now it was a quick blast down to Kidwely Quay. Chiffchaff and Goldcrests were by the car park and then we walked over to the entrance to the water works. A photographer from Bridgend was already there so we knew we were in the right spot.

104. Firecrest - much better views than I've had previously.

Our session was shortened due to an almighty hale storm. Again, stinging against the face. Back at the car park was #105 though.

105. Grey Wagtail

Decided to head home to collect the children with a stop at Pwll to see if we could bag a Kingfisher for Kev. No luck unfortunately but there was a distant Red-breasted Merganser.

106. Red-breasted Merganser

A cracking end to a cracking day.

Rich

Worked from home this morning so any year tick would be slightly unexpected- getting 3 though whilst making myself a coffee was a real surprise.

107. Sparrowhawk
108. Blackcap
109. Lesser Redpoll (first in the garden for a few years)

And then returning from a meeting:

110 Green Woodpecker

Last edited:
A very unexpected tick today. A superb male Black Redstart on the roof of the building where I work:eek!:

111. Black Redstart

An early contender for at least a top 5 place in 2018's list.

Rich

Had a cracking male Brambling at lunchtime today. The first one I've seen in Wales for several years.

112. Brambling

Rich

Finally, after what feels like an age, I've been able to add to the year list. :t: Had a couple of nights away in Dorset with OH and stopped off at Ham Wall on the way home. Also briefly crossed the border into Devon.

113. Pheasant
114. Corn Bunting
115. Avocet
116. Brent Goose
117. Cirl Bunting Lifer #1 B :)B :)
118. Black-necked Grebe
119. Red-Throated Diver
120. American Wigeon Lifer #2B :)B :)
121. Bittern
122. Marsh Harrier
123. Bearded Tit

Rich

Last edited:
Had a lovely morning at Penclacwydd with my two boys. On my 4 th attempt the female Ring-necked Duck showed really well. Typically I'd left my memory card in the laptop!:-C Then, when having a chat with another member of Carms bird club, we picked out 2 Spotted Redshank from in front of the British Steel Hide.

124. Spotted Redshank
125. Ring-necked Duck

Have been given a pass for Friday. Trying to decide where to go. Dip. 3rd time on the King Eider or head elsewhere? Hmmmm. Will have to give it some thought.

Rich

Was at Kenfig Pool for an hour or so this morning. Had great views of the female Goosander and the White-fronted Geese were also present. A few Goldeneye were present and a Sprawk did a flyover.

Stopped off at Aberavon Jetty on the way home and picked up Turnstone.

126. Goldeneye
127. Turnstone

Attachments

• IMG_5137.jpg
    IMG_5137.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5138.jpg
    IMG_5138.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5143.jpg
    IMG_5143.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5145.jpg
    IMG_5145.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 29
Just came back from Llanrhidian. Caught up with somebody I follow on Twitter. A decent fella and very good birder. Paul picked out a SEO which I think is the first one seen there this Winter.

128. Short Eared Owl

Also had 3 GWE's and a dog fox running across the marsh.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back