View Single Post
Old Saturday 24th February 2018, 11:05   #22
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

We then decided to stop at Crofty Marsh for half an hour. I genuinely can't remember a better 30 minutes birding with regards to species seen - absolutely superb

On arrival a pair of Red Kites were circling quickly followed by a stunning view of a male Merlin coming off the marsh and across the road like a missile. My father then mentioned the Egret feeding in the ditch behind us. Assuming it was a Little Egret I raised my bins to see an amazing Great White Egret - two more were to follow in the remaining time. Three Kestrel were seen over the marsh along with a Common Buzzard and then, when packing away, I had one last scan. A Ringtail Hen Harrier was quartering the marsh. I quickly got my scope out of the boot and watched it with for a few minutes with my father. During this time I could have sworn another Harrier species flew through my view but I kept on the Ringtail. It was later reported that a Marsh Harrier was also seen on the marsh that afternoon. A brilliant end to a brilliant day

131. Hen Harrier
132. Merlin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	646.4 KB
ID:	654700  

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation