• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Albufera Wetlands 10 th February

As part of the World Wetlands Day, a talk will be held at the Albufera about the Flamingos of the Albufereta. 10-1pm, meeting point Sa Marina (Ctra. Alcudia- Puerto Pollensa, MA2220). Call 971 892 250 to book your place.(extract from TOTN)

Last edited:
Morning visit to Sant Vicenc after yesterdays storms hoping to find something special.
Dispite the sea still being quite rough, very few birds were seen for the first 40 minutes.
Then over the next hour some 200 Balearic Shearwaters seen in the distant. No gannets or other good species were seen.
Other birds seen in the area included Great and Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets,Blue Rockthrush,Serins,Black Redstarts.

Just had 3 new books arrive at home and looks another one is on the shopping list, congratulations to the authors, great to have local info close at hand.

Birders have been busy today.
First House Martin seen in Maristany.
102 Greater Flamingos at Albuferata
Brambling at Orient.

A cold and wet afternoon walk around Mariastany and S’Albuferata.
The two sites complement each other.
Birds seen included: Great Crested and Little Grebe, Red Crested and Common Pochard, Great and Little Egrets, Gadwalls, Pintails, Shellduck, Shoverlers, Black Winged Stilts, Water Rails, Audouins Gulls. Overhead hundreds of Crag Martins flying.
Over 100 Flamingos still happy to be here

OTC La Gola opened again

Hello!
Since last Friday the Centre of la Gola is open again to the public.
In February is open every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 9am to 3 pm.

See you soon!;)
Best wishes,
Cristina.

Evening walk around La Gola
Garden Warbler heard also..this seems very early. Any comments Mike?

Hello Mike!
Yes! It was very very early for a Garden Warbler wich is a typical migrant, no wintering here ( as far I know). But in the last months we have had some birds which are not very common around Mallorca, so... :)

Regards,
Cristina.

Hello Mike!
Yes! It was very very early for a Garden Warbler wich is a typical migrant, no wintering here ( as far I know). But in the last months we have had some birds which are not very common around Mallorca, so... :)

Regards,
Cristina.
Hi Cristina,
Welcome back and thanks for the clarification.
The water levels in LaGola were very low before the rains came the other day
I will call in to see you soon
Mike

The cold weather has brought several winter birds into sight.
Alpine Accentors and Ring Ouzels reported in Puig d'en Galileu, Escorca
Great Photo Pep, want to post them?

The cold weather has brought several winter birds into sight.
Alpine Accentors and Ring Ouzels reported in Puig d'en Galileu, Escorca
Great Photo Pep, want to post them?

Yes! a great observation for me, even we were waiting for the snowfinch (Montifringilla nivalis) or the choughs and they didnt appear, a great morning up there, but very very cold.

Attachments

• 107_TordFlassader.jpg
    107_TordFlassader.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 109_XalambriMuntanya.jpg
    109_XalambriMuntanya.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 109
Nice photos Pep. I am looking forward to seeing Alpine Accentors again. In fact, I am missing Mallorca more than I thought possible, it’s such a great place for birding. I will go straight to my local lighthouse for the amazing passage of Shearwaters in the late afternoon. It just has to be seen.
The only thing to cheer me up is a visit to Leighton Moss this Thursday. It’s flaming cold here though.
Mike, I have a reliable record of a Common Redstart wintering in Mallorca received from a top man so I know it’s 100% correct.
It doesn’t matter what the books say, there are sometimes exceptions.
See you all soon, Mike

Weather still miserable here like the rest of Europe.
However several waders spotted in the last few days including:
Ringed Plovers, Kentish Plovers, Turnstones, Temmick Stint, Little Stints, Sanderlings and Dunlins.

Two Alpine accentors at the tower in the pouring rain this morning. Also there Blue rock thrush, Black redstart, Robin, Balearic and Sardinian warblers.

A trip to the Arta region to met up with Kevin at the Calla Ratjada lighthouse.
Cold day but little rain.
Quiet birding
Birds seen included Balearic Shearwater, Ravens, Blue Rock Thrushes, Kestrels, Red Kites, Audouins Gulls.
Thanks Kevin for the Great Company and the excellent pork pies..Mike will be jealous.

Attachments

• 8999F9FF-1412-4EE4-A988-C74400257193.jpg
    8999F9FF-1412-4EE4-A988-C74400257193.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 46
I am jealous Mike. I spent the day at Leighton Moss with Mallorca Philip. Seven hours in a freezing, damp hide overlooking the greyness of a rain soaked marsh in a howling wind.
I loved every minute of it. Only a birder could do that. It was fun recalling our past twitches, birding abroad and other trivia.
Nobody can talk like a birder.
I had a rotten RSPB cheese sandwich though.
See you soon, Mike

Still cold up North with a break in the rain.
Birds seen in Port de Pollensa included:
Little Egret, Audouins Gull, Yellow legged Gulls, Cormorant, Shag, Sandwich terns, Crossbills and Sardinian Warblers.

Attachments

• C0BA33F5-250E-4F10-9785-3DA4E6F684E3.jpg
    C0BA33F5-250E-4F10-9785-3DA4E6F684E3.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 19922AD9-93C0-409F-A981-5FAF441AC507.jpg
    19922AD9-93C0-409F-A981-5FAF441AC507.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back