• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Tit / Willow Tit, UK (Greater Manchester) (1 Viewer)

Swindon Addick

Supporter
Wales
A couple of birds for your entertainment. I was at Pennington Flash, a site which is well known (and very easy) for willow tit but where marsh tit is very rarely seen. I'd been watching willow tits through binoculars, getting good enough views to be certain they didn't have any sort of white spot on their bills.

I didn't notice anything different about this bird at the time, but there's a hint of marsh about it and I'd like to hear people's views.

Attachments

• IMG_7669a.jpg
    IMG_7669a.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_7670a.jpg
    IMG_7670a.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_7671a.jpg
    IMG_7671a.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_7673a.jpg
    IMG_7673a.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 235
For comparison, here's the only other individual I took photos of. Looks like a willow tit to me, but from one angle there's a hint of a white spot which I suspect is a trick of the light.

Attachments

• IMG_7658b.jpg
    IMG_7658b.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_7659b.jpg
    IMG_7659b.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_7660b.jpg
    IMG_7660b.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 163
For comparison, here's the only other individual I took photos of. Looks like a willow tit to me, but from one angle there's a hint of a white spot which I suspect is a trick of the light.

I agree with Willow.
But not because of one feature, its the fact that it has several pro Willow features. Clean white cheek with no contrast to neck sides, tiny bib, visible contrast shows a clear wing panel, large head.
With just one or two pro Willow features, but also pro Marsh features, it becomes more difficult.
The proximal spot is a pretty good indicator for Marsh, but quite clearly,as in this case, it can be reflection/artefact, so caution should be used when relying on just one solitary photo.
I'm far from expert, being relatively new to birding, but I think it is safe to say, that if several features point to A and few or none point to B, then it pretty safe to assume it's A.

btw, you often get a "pale glint" off the bill on Willow Tit, in exactly the same spot as the true pale spot on Marsh Tit. IMO this feature must be used with extreme caution!

chers, alan

A marsh tit would be a very good record for Pennington or anywhere in GM for that matter - Willow tits are well established in that area.

The clinching feature on an adult Willow Tit are the brown nasal hairs which can be seen on both sets of photos, Marsh Tits always have black nasal hairs - not a lot of people know that

Attachments

• BLACK BLACKed.jpg
    BLACK BLACKed.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,261
  • RED WHITEed.jpg
    RED WHITEed.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 234
On recently fledged Willow Tits the nasal hairs are black as you can see but by around September they have turned brown, as shown on this re trapped example

Attachments

• red red 11-9-14 (23)ed.jpg
    red red 11-9-14 (23)ed.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 184
  • red red edsed.jpg
    red red edsed.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 193
The clinching feature on an adult Willow Tit are the brown nasal hairs which can be seen on both sets of photos, Marsh Tits always have black nasal hairs - not a lot of people know that

Really interesting new feature Ashley! Would be interested to know how robust you think this should be, and whether there's any overlap or variation (other than young Willows being black as you've already said).

Last weekend I watched a few Marsh Tits - at least I believe they were all Marsh Tits - and one or two seem to have very slight brownish tones to the bristles. Not as clear as in your photos by any means, but browner than the black cap.

Have a look and see what you think: http://gobirdingeu.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/brown-bristled-marsh-tits.html

Cheers,
Dave

Dave, thanks for taking an interest in this feature which so far has seemed to be OK based on my population and recent observations. Willow Tit is a species which I previously gave little attention too and almost slipped away before I really knew much about them. Your photo 5 does give me some cause for concern as it does show some features of Willow, if I had just been shown this picture without knowing where it was taken I could lean towards it being a Willow (but I still think its a Marsh) . Willow of cause may still be around Lynford, I have never heard one and I do go there very regularly but of cause that means nothing as they can be very hard to detect even where I know they are. Photo 5 also shows a dull crown and very buffy underparts but thats just the effect of the light I think - both which would be OK for a Willow. The white mark on the bill is as we know a feature of Marsh, I have seen it on only 1 of the 33 Willow's I have ringed so far, all of the adult Willows have had brown nasal hairs and all the Marsh have shown black. I will attach some photos to either help or confuse the issue.

Photo 1 Marsh in the hand
Photo 2 Marsh left and Willow right
Photo 3 Willow tail - showing the different feather lengths - another feature

http://www.bto.org/sites/default/files/u17/downloads/about/resources/separating.pdf

Photo 4 - crap photo but it does show well the difference in the underpart colour

Photo 5 Willow Tit - but from photo you cannot see the brown nasal hairs

So overall I am still happy that Willow Tits show 'chocolate' brown nasal hairs and so far in my experience Marsh have black. Of course I would be interested to see some more photos especially in the hand to help prove it one way or the other.

Cheers

Attachments

• MARSH TIT HEAD SHOTed.jpg
    MARSH TIT HEAD SHOTed.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 114
  • marsh and willow 1ed.jpg
    marsh and willow 1ed.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 157
  • WILLOW TIT CCBRAND 28-9-14 (9)tail.jpg
    WILLOW TIT CCBRAND 28-9-14 (9)tail.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 109
  • mars n willow ed.jpg
    mars n willow ed.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Willow Tit Broom Covert 27-8-12 2 1ed.jpg
    Willow Tit Broom Covert 27-8-12 2 1ed.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Really interesting new feature Ashley! Would be interested to know how robust you think this should be, and whether there's any overlap or variation (other than young Willows being black as you've already said).

Last weekend I watched a few Marsh Tits - at least I believe they were all Marsh Tits - and one or two seem to have very slight brownish tones to the bristles. Not as clear as in your photos by any means, but browner than the black cap.

Have a look and see what you think: http://gobirdingeu.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/brown-bristled-marsh-tits.html

Cheers,
Dave
Can't respond on your blog post as it doesn't accept anon comments. One other possibility to bear in mind, is if a tit (either species) has been feeding on flowers or catkins with brownish pollen which could change the colour of the nasal bristles.

Can't respond on your blog post as it doesn't accept anon comments. One other possibility to bear in mind, is if a tit (either species) has been feeding on flowers or catkins with brownish pollen which could change the colour of the nasal bristles.

Not a chance, neither feed on pollen/catkins/flowers as well as this feature being present in the winter.

Not a chance, neither feed on pollen/catkins/flowers as well as this feature being present in the winter.
Thanks, though I was referring specifically to DA's notes from last weekend.

I'd be surprised if they never feed in catkins, as there's plenty of insects get attracted to catkins and the tits could be looking for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back