• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

"Although I feel Leica 8x32 BN's are fine binoculars and I had them for years once I started comparing them with the newer stuff I realized they were second tier binoculars. There are alot of better birding binoculars out there now."

I don't know about the term "second tier," and newer doesn't always mean better. The proliferation of ED glass makes me wonder if there isn't a factory somewhere in China churning out the stuff. You can split hairs over that last 5% of brightness or contrast, but the Trinovids have proven that they can hold up year after year, and an inexpensive used Trinovid is still more value for the money than any of the new, overpriced "first tier" binoculars. And that issue, after all, is what started this thread.

"Although I feel Leica 8x32 BN's are fine binoculars and I had them for years once I started comparing them with the newer stuff I realized they were second tier binoculars. There are alot of better birding binoculars out there now."

I don't know about the term "second tier," and newer doesn't always mean better. The proliferation of ED glass makes me wonder if there isn't a factory somewhere in China churning out the stuff. You can split hairs over that last 5% of brightness or contrast, but the Trinovids have proven that they can hold up year after year, and an inexpensive used Trinovid is still more value for the money than any of the new, overpriced "first tier" binoculars. And that issue, after all, is what started this thread.

Ah, you brought up the word "value". Now I think we are getting to the heart of the matter.

Sure, many newly minted, high quality bins with more advanced coatings and glass will have better optical performance - less ghosting, greater light transmission, "snappier" colors, less CA (maybe) - plus a host of amenities such as click-stop, twist-up eyecups, click-stop diopters, hydrophobic lens coatings, and "eco-friendly" armoring, but in many cases, and certainly at the alpha level, you have to pay through the old proboscis for those improvements.

But are those improvements substantial enough to get you to fork over $1,000 more than you paid for your Trinnie (or whatever older bin you have)?

That's a "value" judgment that can't be "bench tested". Only the user and his wallet can determine if the price of the upgrades are worth the money.

In addition, there are also "intangibles" that my friend Louie mentioned in my signature - appearance, mystique, aura, reputation - which guide purchasing decisions and might even outweigh objective data in comparisons of this bin vs. that bin.

And finally there is sentimental attachment and nostalgia.

I have an old faded, sweat stained Yankees cap that looks like it had been worn by David Wells.

I have a newer Yankees cap that's in better shape and a woolen one that's warmer, but come October, I'm going to be wearing my "David Wells" baseball cap (if the Yankees don't blow it :).

Brock

Last edited:
Ah, you brought up the word "value". Now I think we are getting to the heart of the matter.

Sure, many newly minted, high quality bins with more advanced coatings and glass will have better optical performance - less ghosting, greater light transmission, "snappier" colors, less CA (maybe) - plus a host of amenities such as click-stop, twist-up eyecups, click-stop diopters, hydrophobic lens coatings, and "eco-friendly" armoring, but in many cases, and certainly at the alpha level, you have to pay through the old proboscis for those improvements.

But are those improvements substantial enough to get you to fork over $1,000 more than you paid for your Trinnie (or whatever older bin you have)?

That's a "value" judgment that can't be "bench tested". Only the user and his wallet can determine if the price of the upgrades are worth the money.

In addition, there are also "intangibles" that my friend Louie mentioned in my signature - appearance, mystique, aura, reputation - which guide purchasing decisions and might even outweigh objective data in comparisons of this bin vs. that bin.

And finally there is sentimental attachment and nostalgia.

I have an old faded, sweat stained Yankees cap that looks like it had been worn by David Wells.

I have a newer Yankees cap that's in better shape and a woolen one that's warmer, but come October, I'm going to be wearing my "David Wells" baseball cap (if the Yankees don't blow it :).

Brock

I whole heartedly agree about the appearance, mystique, aura and reputation comment. My head says the Leica 8x32 BN's my heart says the 8x30 SLC's! Mainly for the name and appearance!

... The proliferation of ED glass makes me wonder if there isn't a factory somewhere in China churning out the stuff....

There is. The company is CDGM, the world's largest supplier of optical glass (they claim). The glass is H-FK61. It's probably used in all or most of the Chinese ED binoculars, but almost certainly not in Nikon, Pentax, Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica.

Hello Nature Elvis,

Six years, ago, the BN was near the top of the heap of binoculars. Having ED glass and dielectric coating will not make someone a great bird watcher. Patience and persistence are far more important in this avocation. Should you decide you want a roof prism binocular but cannot afford one of today's alphas and should the Leica suit your personal tastes and needs, go with the Leica. Should you feel you need the most up to date optics in a waterproof, well built package, at the going price, examinie the alphas.
There is nothing wrong with buying the Swarovski for "nameand appearance," if it does not deprive your wife and children of food on the table. Buying a binocular for "status" is a lot cheaper than buying an automobile for satus.

For the sake of clarity, I own a Leica 8x32 BN in gorgeous,eye catching red, but I use a Zeiss FL.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

I whole heartedly agree about the appearance, mystique, aura and reputation comment. My head says the Leica 8x32 BN's my heart says the 8x30 SLC's! Mainly for the name and appearance!

You should also ask your fingers what they have to say, because if you buy the SLC, and your ring finger can't take the strain of turning the somewhat coarse objective end focuser, it's going to nudge the middle finger to stand at attention and let you know how it feels. :)

Hello Nature Elvis,

Six years, ago, the BN was near the top of the heap of binoculars. Having ED glass and dielectric coating will not make someone a great bird watcher. Patience and persistence are far more important in this avocation. Should you decide you want a roof prism binocular but cannot afford one of today's alphas and should the Leica suit your personal tastes and needs, go with the Leica. Should you feel you need the most up to date optics in a waterproof, well built package, at the going price, examinie the alphas.
There is nothing wrong with buying the Swarovski for "nameand appearance," if it does not deprive your wife and children of food on the table. Buying a binocular for "status" is a lot cheaper than buying an automobile for satus.

For the sake of clarity, I own a Leica 8x32 BN in gorgeous,eye catching red, but I use a Zeiss FL.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Thanks Arthur, the problem I have is that it is very difficult for me to demo any of the bins discussed in this thread as there are very few dealerships that have a good selection of new and used alpha type bins anywhere near where I live, (that I am aware of). Therefore if I am to bite the bullet and get my first pair of good quality bins I will have to rely on reviews and general opinion.;)

Maybe it was Wells' hat? He didn't have enough hair to absorb sweat!;)

Bob

Well(s), it certainly looks like his hat, but it's my sweat and tears (sweat when the Yankees are 4 runs behind at the top in the 9th with 2 outs and bases loaded and Rodriquez hits a grand slam to tie it up, and tears when Mariano blows a save).

If it were Wells' hat, I would have sold it on eBay and bought a Leica 8x32 BN, a Zeiss 7x42 B/GA, and a Swaro 8x42 SLC HD.

Funny thing is, as soon as they got rid of Wells, he got hot again. If they trade AJ Burnett, maybe he'll get hot too (of course, why would he want to get released from his $82 million 5-year contract early?).

I bet Burnett owns an SV EL, Ultravid HD, and Zeiss FL. He should use them to help him find the strike zone. :)

Babe Brock

Last one from me...don't want to become obsessive! Seems to me that there must be something very special and timeless about these bins? Many pairs = empty wallet and restless mind! My life pair...the ultimate Birding Binoculars.:t:

Last one from me...don't want to become obsessive! Seems to me that there must be something very special and timeless about these bins? Many pairs = empty wallet and restless mind! My life pair...the ultimate Birding Binoculars.:t:

How come the BN's were around £600 -£700 new and they are about that used?

Simply because they are in high demand. If you really want them you'll pay what's necessary to get them...if you can still find a pair? Found a mint pair last week at Kay Optical. Game over.;)
www.duffbirder.blogspot.com

I like the Leica 8x32 BN's build quality and their size but for me optics are everything. When I compared them to the Zen Ray 8x43 ED's I sold them. When a $375.00 Chinese binocular dusts them optically they are gone. Sorry, to all you BN lovers. Don't compare them to a Zen Ray and you will stay happy!

Dennis, I really don't understand why you're on this mission to convince us that you've convinced yourself that the Leicas aren't good enough for you.

Even after all these years, the view through my BAs still make me smile when I use them, and they still generate "Wow!"s from people who look through them, so they're clearly doing something right.

Oh - and new 8 x 43 against older 8 x 32? Hardly a like-for-like comparison, is it?

Last edited:
Dennis, I really don't understand why you're on this mission to convince us that you've convinced yourself that the Leicas aren't good enough for you.

Even after all these years, the view through my BAs still make me smile when I use them, and they still generate "Wow!"s from people who look through them, so they're clearly doing something right.

Oh - and new 8 x 43 against older 8 x 32? Hardly a like-for-like comparison, is it?

Keith
I am trying to enlighten you. I know Leica 8x32 BN's are good old classics and they are built like a tank BUT there are better optics out there now. If they work for you I am glad your happy but there not the best view anymore. I will admit they are a good all around binocular and amazingly tough and maybe that is more important to you than optics. Heh, some people like old classics. Look at all the car collectors around.

Keith
I am trying to enlighten you. I know Leica 8x32 BN's are good old classics and they are built like a tank BUT there are better optics out there now. If they work for you I am glad your happy but there not the best view anymore. I will admit they are a good all around binocular and amazingly tough and maybe that is more important to you than optics. Heh, some people like old classics. Look at all the car collectors around.

We don't need enlightening my friend (slightly patronizing?). I'm afraid you'll never get it. You say better optics? Leica 8x32BN/A fans see the overall picture...the NATURAL VIEW...as nature should be! I see sharper and brighter images but not a better, more life like view. IMHO :t:
Many pairs = Restless mind

Last edited:
We don't need enlightening my friend (slightly patronizing?). I'm afraid you'll never get it. You say better optics? Leica 8x32BN/A fans see the overall picture...the NATURAL VIEW...as nature should be! I see sharper and brighter images but not a better, more life like view. IMHO :t:
Many pairs = Restless mind

"I see sharper and brighter images but not a better, more life like view." Interesting that you think a less sharp and less bright image depicts a more lifelike view. It is interesting to me that BN's are still so popular after all these years and how vehemently their owners defend them. I really don't understand their popularity based on their optics. It must be their build quality and ergonomics and small compact size that make people like them. Glad you like them.

Last edited:
Hi Denco, I am wondering whether the trinovids you looked through were smeared with vaseline? How else could they be described as "blurry" unless you forgot to focus them.. I admit that my 8x32BA's and 10x42BA's are not quite as bright as my Ultravid HD's, however I think you should have another look at BA's or BN's. If they were as bad as you suggest, I am sure I never would have been happy with them, even when I got them in the early 90"s.
John

Hi Denco, I am wondering whether the trinovids you looked through were smeared with vaseline? How else could they be described as "blurry" unless you forgot to focus them.. I admit that my 8x32BA's and 10x42BA's are not quite as bright as my Ultravid HD's, however I think you should have another look at BA's or BN's. If they were as bad as you suggest, I am sure I never would have been happy with them, even when I got them in the early 90"s.
John

I had a Leica 8x32 BN and a Leica 7x42 BN and a Nikon 8x32 LXL and then one sunny day I compared them all to a new Zen Ray 8x42 ED that I had just purchased. To be frank the Zen Ray put them all to shame. I couldn't believe how much better optically the Zen Ray was in most areas. You can have your "natural view". I sold the Leicas and the Nikon LXL the next day. I have since acquired a Zeiss 8x32 FL and I prefer it to the Zen Ray ED but that is my story with the BN's. They are history for me but you must remember for me the OPTICS are priority number one. You may be different.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back