• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed - Gitzo GT2532 or GT3532 (1 Viewer)

Cambsbirder

Morning guys, me again!

I'm definitely decided on Gitzo new 2-way head to use with my ATX 85, but am now undecided on the tripod. I'm interested in the following: Gitzo GT3532 (Weight 1880g/Payload 21kg) or GT2532 (1670g/18kg).

My only concern about the GT2532 is that it might not be so stable enough in adverse weather etc. Can anyone confirm the stability of the 2 series?

Many thanks as always.|=)|

Morning guys, me again!

I'm definitely decided on Gitzo new 2-way head to use with my ATX 85, but am now undecided on the tripod. I'm interested in the following: Gitzo GT3532 (Weight 1880g/Payload 21kg) or GT2532 (1670g/18kg).

My only concern about the GT2532 is that it might not be so stable enough in adverse weather etc. Can anyone confirm the stability of the 2 series?

That is really the only difference between them, I think. The 2532 has a 1.1" / 27.9 mm diameter leg and the 3532 has 1.3" / 33 mm. That pretty much accounts for the weight difference.

I use the 3542LS (1.3" / 33 mm diameter) for heavy camera gear from 8 lb (3.6 kg) to 16 lb (7.2 kg) with a gimbal head (wh200). I shoot a 1600mm lens (800mm f/5.6 + micro 4/3 camera) on it. It is very solid. I use a gimbal head directly on the systematic tripod without a pillar. The pillar is a weak point in terms of shake. If you don't need a pillar, I'd skip it. At least that's my experience from photography.

I don't have experience with the 3500 and your scope. I use my much smaller MM4/60 on a much smaller tripod (with a pillar). I suspect for the weight of the ATX85, the 2532 would be fine. I think shake will be more of a function of the head and the pillar. Remember you can also weigh down the tripod by putting your backpack on the hook. That helps dampen vibration pretty well.

Marc

Yes, the difference of the series 2 and 3 are described in the post before, and it's the own preference which of both is needed.
I'm using since many years a 3530 (2,1kg incl. Legwarmer) with the 2380 for my DiaScope 85 as wonderful stable combo, but heavy (5,4kg). For the longer hikes (and the more in years) I searched a long time, and found the MM4-60 with the 2180 on a 2532S (without centercolumn). The original-opticron-tripod has too less leg angle, Gitzos 23° make this better. The little systematic is very sturdy because of the big plate construction without any column. Shure, it has limitations if birds fly nearly overhead, but the height with full legs is perfect for me. Also the 3530 fits perfect with the DiaScope. So, I admit to think a short time to the systematics, it is worth, they are steadier in comparison with the shurely very good center-columns of Gitzo.

The 2532S holds the (long) 85 steady, but the 3530 (or XXX2) is another class. I searched a very light, but stable scope/tripod and have found it (2,7kg), but there is the time for looking things in windy conditions and/or dawn (counting cormorants at their sleeping places), then the DiaScope/3530 rules…

good decision
Manfred

PS: Sorry, that was the wrong link, it shows the MM4 vs. DiaScope with the original tripod - look here for systematic vs. opticron

Last edited:
The 2 series will be great - but the 3 series will be greater!

I use both long lenses and scopes so when I found a great deal on a GT4542LS I went for it and sold my GT3530LS.

Mixed blessing, whilst the 4 series is better for my Canon 800mm lens I feel the older 3 series was a better setup for scope use - everything is a compromise!

Morning guys, me again!

Both are nice (and somewhat expensive) and will carry the weight of any scope. I would skip center column if possible. Gitzo systematic series is even more expensive but there are cheaper alternatives like the SIRUI R-3213X.

If you use your gear a lot and want quality and reliability, Gitzo is a nice choice. I've got two myself that I'm very happy with. They will last a life time if taken care of (take apart and clean out sand and saltwater once or twice a year if needed).

If the conditions are very windy, any combo that is reasonable light to carry will be affected. Thicker legs will be more affected. The mount point between head and tripod (center column) is the weak point, as well as the head. I prefer the Gitzo systematic of that reason.

If you want something stable in all conditions, look at this Sachtler video-setup: ;)

https://se.swarovskioptik.com/binary/10008.562814

Last edited:
Thanks guys, would love a systematic Gitzo but having a column would be handy for using a hide clamp. Don't think there's any other way around it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, would love a systematic Gitzo but having a column would be handy for using a hide clamp. Don't think there's any other way around it.

The column is most solid when not extended. Keep it retracted and always check the tightness of the adjustment. Because the column height is included in the maximum height in the specs, you might want to find an extra-tall model that is of sufficient height with the column down.

Just to confirm, you mean that you would remove the center column from the base and put that in a hide clamp? If that's what you mean, it might not be so easy. If I remember correctly, you need to loosen a few allen screws and unassemble the column then slide it out. You could just buy a separate column designed for a hide clamp and use the systematic tripod w/o a column.

EDIT: I confused it with a different tripod. Removing the center column is not difficult on the Gitzo.

On the Gitzo, the legs are pretty bulky around the center column and I'm not sure that you could use a clamp on the column without removing it from the legs.

Marc

Last edited:
I don't know much about Cambsbirder - but why should he buy an extra tall tripod? I know much about myself, and which 'normal' 180cm (okay, 179) I'm usind my 3530 with cc down very sufficient. The height with cc-not-extended is always in the Gitzo specs. For the 3530 it is 130cm - plus height of the 2380 and the height og the body and the 20-75x-zoom I can very relaxed watch. Also it is with the 2532S plus MM4 - I always search for a tripod with the right height incl. optics&head with the full extracted legs. Yes, there are situations for looking a little 'head-down', but very few.

standing greetings
Manfred

I don't know much about Cambsbirder - but why should he buy an extra tall tripod? I know much about myself, and which 'normal' 180cm (okay, 179) I'm usind my 3530 with cc down very sufficient. The height with cc-not-extended is always in the Gitzo specs. For the 3530 it is 130cm - plus height of the 2380 and the height og the body and the 20-75x-zoom I can very relaxed watch. Also it is with the 2532S plus MM4 - I always search for a tripod with the right height incl. optics&head with the full extracted legs. Yes, there are situations for looking a little 'head-down', but very few.

standing greetings
Manfred

That's why I used a waffle word like "sufficient height." It all depends on Cambsbirder's physical stature plus equipment plus the normal angle of usage or expected range of angles.

The pillar models have a maximum height of 65.4" / 166.1 cm (with pillar extended), which is 11" (28cm) higher than the systematic version / pillar down use. If that 11"/28cm is important and you want to keep the pillar down for stability, then you need a taller tripod. That's all I was trying to say, in fewer words.

I imagine that the 54.3" / 137.9 cm height without center column plus head plus angled scope is ok. It would be for me at 5'10" / 175cm. Someone closer to 200cm might be bending over more.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back