• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Good work Mike.:t:
A couple of facts two firsts for the reserve were also recorded on the Alldayers Roseate Tern and Nightingale.

Re waders could you list the number of these in each year ..I seem to remember at least one day we had double figures and even a possible 14??
John

Wader nos. per year:
91 - 8
92 - 6
93 - 9
94 - 12
95 - 9
96 - 11
97 - 8
98 - 8
99 - 8
00 - 10
01 - 8
02 - 7
03 - 8
04 - 10
05 - 7
08 - 7
09 - 8
10 - 11
11 - 9
12 - 7
13 - 9
14 - 7
15 - 9
16 - 7
17 - 12
18 - 5
19 - 7

Out of interest, in the years we had double-figure Wader counts, the totals were:
94 - 92
96 - 89
00 - 87
04 - 87
10 - 88
17 - 96

These are six of our eight highest overall totals.

From the Flashes early morning JTB reports:

Cuckoo, Shoveler 2, Gadwall 2, Avocet 35, Common Sandpiper, Lapwing 15 with at least 3 chicks, Little Ringed Plover 4, Mediterranean Gull

The Commonplace

The gentleman in the hide said " some times we ignore the common birds".
What struck me about this picture was not the moorhen eating the contents or feeding its young, but the markings on the legs. The sunlight helped but have I not noticed or bothered to notice this before? The books don't mention it . I presume this is there during the breeding season as a marker for the young.

The interesting thing was that she didn't break open the egg completely but let the contents dribble out on.to the ground before feeding from there , both for herself and to feed the chicks. In the end she gave the egg a wash before leaving it up on the bank away from the water's edge.

Phil E

Attachments

• Moorhen and egg one.jpg
    Moorhen and egg one.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Three Black Terns at the Sailing Pool late afternoon found by Cliff Smith and Dave Williams then flew north at c5:30pm.

2 Ringed Plover at the Flashes.

Last edited:
Wader nos. per year:
91 - 8
92 - 6
93 - 9
94 - 12
95 - 9
96 - 11
97 - 8
98 - 8
99 - 8
00 - 10
01 - 8
02 - 7
03 - 8
04 - 10
05 - 7
08 - 7
09 - 8
10 - 11
11 - 9
12 - 7
13 - 9
14 - 7
15 - 9
16 - 7
17 - 12
18 - 5
19 - 7

Out of interest, in the years we had double-figure Wader counts, the totals were:
94 - 92
96 - 89
00 - 87
04 - 87
10 - 88
17 - 96

These are six of our eight highest overall totals.
I think that sums it up Mike....waders are the key.B :)
Thanks for the info

Greenshank, Hobby and 3 Black Tern at the Moors Pool as per Des and John Coombs.

2 Ringed Plover at the Flashes as per Andy P.

If you have a spare afternoon it would be worth a visit with plenty of action across the region

Last edited:
Apologises - been out of action most of today. A brief summary of today's many highlights (including ten species of wader) is as follows; I am sure Des and Andy will update / correct as neccessary:

1 Bar-tailed Godwit - dropped into the sewage meadow at the Flashes early afternoon but shortly flew out over the transmitter field
4 Greenshank - 3 briefly at the Flashes early morning; 1 briefly at the Flashes this afternoon
4 Whimbrel - 1 briefly at the Flashes early afternoon; 3 later at the Flashes
2 Ringed Plover - at the Flashes then the Moors Pool
9 Dunlin - at the Flashes early afternoon
1 Common Sandpiper - at the Moors Pool
16 Lapwing - at the Flashes
35 Avocet - at the Flashes
5 Little Ringed Plover - at the Flashes
2 Arctic Tern - 1 at the Moors Pool early morning; 1 at the Flashes early afternoon
3/4 Black Tern - 1 at the Moors Pool mid morning, later 3 birds
12 Common Tern - at the Flashes early afternoon
Yellow Wagtail - in the sewage meadow at the Flashes

Today's highlights:

MOORS ONLY:

Arctic Tern (1)----------------Black Tern (1) + (3)
Common Tern (1)------------Greenshank (1)
Dunlin (1)--------------------Ringed Plover (2). Flashes birds.
LRP (1)-----------------------Avocet (2). Flashes birds.
Lapwing (2)------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Common Sand---------------Pochard (m)
Shoveler (m)-----------------Gadwall (4)
Tufted Duck (31)-------------Kestrel
Skylark------------------------Whitethroat
Pheasant----------------------Cormorant (2)
Hobby-------------------------Kingfisher
G C Grebe (4) + chicks.

Over to AJP for the Flashes update.

Des.

Flashes Highlights and Final Totals

BAR-TAILED GODWIT, 4 Whimbrel, 4 Greenshank, 10 Dunlin, 2 Ringed Plover, 5 LRP, 35 Avocet, 16 Lapwing, 2 Oystercatcher, 12 Common Tern, Arctic Tern, 25 Tufted Duck, 6 Shelduck, 5 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, Med Gull(1st summer), Med/BH hybrid, 2 Hobby, Peregrine, Kestrel, Yellow Wagtail, Skylark, Kingfisher(Sailing Pool).

The Barwit was the first I've seen at the reserve for 6 years. That bird was found by Des in the company of 3 Whimbrel at the Moors Pool on 17th April 2013.

In amongst all today's excitement I also spotted a BHG wearing a red ring with 27L4 printed in white. This is not one I've noticed before.

A further Common Tern appeared at the Moors Pool at 7.30pm. A single Ringed Plover was also at the Moors Pool from at least 6.45pm onwards. This may have been an additional bird to the 2 seen on both sides of the reserve previously.

Andy P

Last edited:
In amongst all today's excitement I also spotted a BHG wearing a red ring with 27L4 printed in white. This is not one I've noticed before.

Andy P

Hi Andy - thanks for the gull details; this is a new bird to the reserve. I assume it is relatively local as it was ringed by the Brewood group. I will contact Colin McShane to see what further he can advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back