• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (1 Viewer)

Warm weather forecast so hopefully that tardy Red-backed Shrike will turn up along with the local Honey Buzzards.....

My Mr Tardy has found himself a partner - a bit of lovey dovey over the last days with courtship feeding, etc ...all taking place on the shrikes piles :)

Shrike pile score rate - Whitethroats breeding in one, now the Red-backed Shrikes, plus Yellowammer using as singing post.

Last edited:
No Little Crakes or Lammergeiers for me in or from the garden........ Not even a Red-backed Shrike (one patch record gratefully received - 29.05.08) but one addition:-

43 - Common Swift (31.05.19)

All the best

Inside the house doing some urgent admin stuff, luckily the windows are open ('cos it's currently hot 'dahn sath') so I was able to hear that tell-tale 'vek vek vek' coming from the trees by the road. Unlike Jos, I don't have piles:)eek!:) so this is about as close to the house as the species is likely to come, still at least it was visible (see photo):

72 Red-backed Shrike

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 27
Latest addition.
75. Red kite.
Picked it up drifting over as I was returning from my morning walk and managed to get into the garden before it disappeared.
Red backed shrike. My best ever garden bird.
Many years ago I found one about half a mile away from my house. Managed to get a few people to see it before it vanished.
Spent the rest of the day looking for it and failing.
Got home and what’s sat in the hedge row at the side of my house. Red backed shrike. It then spend several days mostly in my neighbors garden(also a birder) making the occasional visit into mine.
Can’t beat having a red backed shrike on your garage roof (especially in Barnsley) 👍

Latest addition.
75. Red kite.
Picked it up drifting over as I was returning from my morning walk and managed to get into the garden before it disappeared.
Red backed shrike. My best ever garden bird.
Many years ago I found one about half a mile away from my house. Managed to get a few people to see it before it vanished.
Spent the rest of the day looking for it and failing.
Got home and what’s sat in the hedge row at the side of my house. Red backed shrike. It then spend several days mostly in my neighbors garden(also a birder) making the occasional visit into mine.
Can’t beat having a red backed shrike on your garage roof (especially in Barnsley) 👍

A Barnsley “Butcher bird” gotta be good. :t:

Red-backed Shrikes are missing here too... (Usually I see those on my garden - if I see at all - when juveniles has left they "summer homes" and wandering to "winter homes".)

But I have seen something - even couple of First Timers in (or above) my garden:

#53. Common Greenshank - This garden lifer flew over at May 20. :king:
#54. Barn Swallow - May 21. finally. After that I have seen them every now or then.
On Sunday May 26. I was enjoying morning coffee on the porch, when I saw 3 ducks flying in the distance. Luckily I had my scope beside me. Two drake Mallards and one drake...
#55. Northern Shoveler - An other garden lifer. :D
#56. Mute Swan - two flyover. I've been missed this bird at least two years but now I nailed it. :smoke:
#57. Great Bittern - distant booming on quiet morning. I think this was just an second time I manage to hear this.
#58. Common Whitethroat - Yesterday morning this garden lifer was singing in neighbours birch. B :)

PS. Little Crake would be a Lifer (real lifer, not just garden) to me also. And I think Jos got couple more lifers for me.

June 9th

66. Common Tern - one flew over while I was emptying my moth trap: a garden-lifer to boot, #92.

Steve

Congratulations Wari and Steve on the garden lifers, my Wheatear on 5 May took me to 97 after three years here.
A Stonechat was between us and the village the other day, the dung heap it was on would have been visible in winter, but too many leaves on the trees obscured the view from the house, putting the kibosh on my chances of adding it :C.
An apparently territory-holding Garden Warbler was nearby yesterday so hopefully that'll come closer (if this rain would stop that is...).

Yesterday afternoon:

#59. Osprey - 2 circled on the sky. I thought that this time they have nestlings and usually other from adult is on nest with them. :eek!:

A couple of additions, an unexpected Woodcock and rather more predictable, a pair of Marsh Warblers in rank stuff.

110. Woodcock
111. Marsh Warbler

Quick visit to say added Scopoli’s Shearwater to my Turkish House list. 14 years I’ve been checking the bay for them. Never more than 3 but sightings for a couple of hours one afternoon. Also 2nd record of Dalmatian Pelican, one soaring and climbing overhead.

After 21 years of living on the outskirts of Newport I finally saw Red Kite over the house a few weeks ago. In the same valley I’ve seen Osprey and Goshawk and Hobby (my house) Honey Buzzard (my dads) and Black Kite (my sisters). Finally the gulls got me onto a Red Kite. They also got me the Osprey and the Goshawk.

Well, I saw a good number of sapsucker wells on an ornamental Bradford Pear in the yard yesterday, which I don't remember seeing before.

However, it's "well" past sapsucker time and we're too far south for breeders, so probably they were there and I just missed them.

Still an interesting find on a dreary June day.

Well, I saw a good number of sapsucker wells on an ornamental Bradford Pear in the yard yesterday, which I don't remember seeing before.

However, it's "well" past sapsucker time and we're too far south for breeders, so probably they were there and I just missed them.

Still an interesting find on a dreary June day.

You just can’t beat....the unexpected birdmeister :t:

KenM. The Goshawk was great team work. Gulls were calling frantically, I looked up and shouted out WTF! My wife heard me shout and grabbed my bins of the dining table and gave them out to me as I ran in for them. Just got the bird in the bins as it hammered off.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back