• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anybody heard of a Blaser Primus binocular? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter

Attachments

• 3831DB2661279DC37B4731EEC1A4D0076EF2C3CD.jpg
    3831DB2661279DC37B4731EEC1A4D0076EF2C3CD.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 6C489E65C5EA8BE5E8DF60C03B18F89E5AAC419A.jpg
    6C489E65C5EA8BE5E8DF60C03B18F89E5AAC419A.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Yes.
The collection which I am co-hosting recently acquired the 8x30 model of the Blaser primus.
A brief impression:
- finish: first class; nice materials and haptics
- mechanics: excellent in every respect: hinge, focus wheel, eyecups
- optics: very good central sharpness, little CA; off-axis sharpness okay but not outstanding
So overall a very nice binocular. In many respects, esp. finish and mechanics, a true premium bino. And premium also the price!!!
When using the bino for a brief while, I had the feeling that I had already seen image characteristics that were very similar to the Primus. So I went back and checked two other 8x30: the Kite Lynx and Nikon Monarch 7 (these latter two being - arguably - essentially the same binocular). The following was interesting:
- different body armour and weight, but
- identical dimensions of all three glasses
- individual parts, such as the focus wheel, exactly identical in size and placement
- looking into the tubes from the objective side: exactly same grooving/blackening of the tube walls, same baffling, same placement of the screws (as far as those are visible) in all three binos !!
- slightly different look of antireflection coatings in the Primus
- slightly different look of the eyepiece in the Primus
My assumption therefore: all three binoculars are essentially made by Kamakura Japan, the Primus gets just some makeover (in Germany?) with nicer materials, different coatings and a different eyepiece (which results in a small difference in FOV).
The Primus costs three times as much as the Nikon or the Kite (it costs about as much as a same size Ultravid HD+). It is sold in Europe primarily by weapons shops and shops selling hunting gear.
I find it a very nice bino, but too expensive when compared with an Ultravid or EL SV.

For what it's worth.
Canip

Last edited:
here in the US Blaser has always struck me as a bunch of profiteering shysters.... and now they are in control of distribution of Minox in the US....and that's a shame as I'm a Minox fan....

Canip.Thanks, for the comments. So it sounds like the Blaser could be another clone possibly of the Nikon Monarch 7. Have you ever compared the Maven B.3 8x30 to these other 8x30's? I was wondering where it fits in.

Last edited:
Canip.Thanks, for the comments. So it sounds like the Blaser could be another clone possibly of the Nikon Monarch 7. Have you ever compared the Maven B.3 8x30 to these other 8x30's? I was wondering where it fits in.

I can't get a Maven in Europe other than by ordering direct from the US, which for tax and customs reasons I am not going to do. I do order from all over Europe, so if they have a reseller in Europe I would love to hear about it (they don't say anything on their website).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back