• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 18x50 IS review question (1 Viewer)

I was reading the review on scopeview and was surprised the amount of time the IS seemed to take in some situations.
Does the 10x24 IS L have quicker or more sophisticated electronics ?

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Canon18x50.htm

Yes. My 10x42L IS settles down to a perfectly sharp and jitter free FOV (within 1 second) once I have my subject focused in and have steadied my hold. If I start viewing non-IS, get a sharp focal point established Then engage the IS, the FOV and subject locks in almost immediately! :t:

Ted

Thanks for the Canon 18x50 IS review link maico.

There are some mistakes.
The IS differs on different models.
The 10x42L is listed as waterproof, the 50mm water resistant.
My 15 year old 18x50 doesn't take 20 seconds ever. The new ones might.
You have to release the IS on mine at the end of prism travel and then reengage. Newer ones maybe different.

The Zeiss 20x60 is considerably better.

The old Zeiss 15x60 considerably brighter.

The reviewer has better eyes than I have.
He sees 4 trapezium stars easily.

There were a few other errors.

I make the field 3.85 deg not 3.7 deg.

Last edited:
"Do you really need a scope......................Canon 18x50s are....recommended"

How do you compare the Cannon's vs an equal quality 65mm spotting scope at 15-20x?

I have tried to replace the scope with a pair of miyauchi 22x60 binoculars;
but the image was dim and reach was limited.

edj

A scope on a tripod is almost always better, except possibly a Zeiss 20x60 or Takahashi 22x60.

A 65mm scope on a tripod should be better than the 18x50 IS.

I am surprised the Miyauchi 22x60 wasn't really good. They have a good reputation.

I agree with Binastro, a scope on a tripod (or similar power binocular on a tripod) will be better. I have 10x30 and 15x45 IS and my 60mm spotting scope on a tripod is superior for daytime use. The main advantages of an IS binocular are the closely related issues of portability and mobility, as in no setup.

I used to bring a small refractor and tripod on vacation for astronomy, until I got the 15x45 IS. Then I realized that unless the trip was predominantly for astronomy, bringing the 15x45 give me enough reach that it wasn't worth the hassle of packing and hauling telescope, tripod, and accessories.

The tradeoff would seem similar for birding, except that small spotting scopes with lightweight tripods are considerably lighter and more compact than their astronomical counterparts.

Alan

2017 March 14 23.38UT
Used 18x50 IS to easily see all 4 Jupiter moons, immediately identified correctly. They were surprisingly bright.

Our 2 days past full Moon's limb was 1.9 degrees away from Jupiter.

What was interesting is that the 4 moons were more easily seen with our bright Moon in the field. Maybe my eyes were stopped down by the brightness.

There was quite a bit of CA on Jupiter. I notice it more since being on the Birdforum. It never bothered me earlier. It also varies with the variprism position.

2017 March 14 23.38UT
Used 18x50 IS to easily see all 4 Jupiter moons, immediately identified correctly. They were surprisingly bright.

Our 2 days past full Moon's limb was 1.9 degrees away from Jupiter.

What was interesting is that the 4 moons were more easily seen with our bright Moon in the field. Maybe my eyes were stopped down by the brightness.

There was quite a bit of CA on Jupiter. I notice it more since being on the Birdforum. It never bothered me earlier. It also varies with the variprism position.

Nothing worse than learning to see an optical aberration;).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back