• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG Resale (1 Viewer)

We own three Swarovisions and ownership, unlike forum posts, speaks volumes. Swarovski has a legal warranty and a corporate policy of going above and beyond. Swarovski extends great service...doggone it there I go repeating myself again! 3:)

Only the ignorant, or downright hard headed attempt to bash Swaro USA's warranty. They go above and beyond the call of duty, and everyone (I thought) knows that. Nikon and Leica shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Swarovski when it comes to taking care of the customer. Leupold and Swaro wrote the book, period. Evidently Nikon and Leica need to stick to making cameras.

Last edited:
Bob,

I don't think that the major reduction came until after the EDG was introduced.

On that basis, the EDG price is unlikely to be reduced until the EDG+ appears.

If they did reduce it before then, it would be tantamount to admitting that it isn't as good as the other, so called, Alphas. I suggest that they would be prepared to make a loss by low sales rather than do that.

This brings up another point - how many have they made anyway?

I'm not sure of the EDG numbering, but I have used 5 different EDG's (7x42, 8x42, and 3 off 8x32) and none of them has an end numbering of more than 1000. They might already be making a loss on them, just to show that they can compete at the highest level. Any loss they do make is likely to be infinitesimally small when set against their total revenue from their output of optics and cameras.

Still, it's fun surmising.

Stan

Stan,

I remember buying my 8x32 LX L because it cost about $100.00 less than the Swarovski 8x30 SCL which I really wanted. Their prices were always nip and tuck with each other. I just checked the box for its papers and I bought it on January 9, 2006 from Eagle Optics for $859.99.

I like it a lot. I found it very easy to use. The eye placement is harder for me on the 8x30SLC which I later purchased after Swarovski discontinued it around 2011.

As to how many EDGs Nikon has made the only clue I have is from the two 10x32s I owned 4 years apart. Their SNs are about 270 numbers apart. But then 10x32s are the lowest sellers among the Alpha formats and I also do not know if Nikon continued the SN sequence from the EDG I to the EDG II or started anew again.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back