• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

router firewall strangling internet (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone might have some wise words on a router problem-

I've just replaced an old Netgear router (hit by lightning...it's been that kind of summer) with a new (Netgear N300) and the new is delivering very slow speeds compared to the old.

But if I switch off the security - from WPA2 PSK [AES] to NONE - it snaps to attention and operates at the speed of the old router. With security on, it delivers about 20% of the speed of the old. I've flipped between the two and the difference is very marked, so I am pretty sure I have located the source of the problem.

I've googled around and not found as much consensus as I hoped, apart from dire warnings about operating without security - does anyone know if a better (more expensive I guess) router than the N300 is likely to perform its security faster and so deliver better results? Or any other wise words? Not after guaranteed miracles- just whether in asking this I am on the right track?

Last edited:
I don't have the router firewall turned on but I still use security. My computer has a firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware in place so I can't see the point of having two lots of firewall working. Of course I may be doiung something wrong but <touch wood> I've not had a problem. My router is a BeBox.

This seems quite reasonable, to explain some of the problem:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14248880

However, for it to be THAT slow suggests a problem with the router or setup. Can you try a different security, eg WEP?
Apparently WEP is quite easy to circumvent, but running without security is an issue.
A different option is to run with no security, and use a WIFI signal that does not advertise itself and restrict access to a white-list of MAC addresses. Again this can be circumvented, but it's up to you to decide if anyone would bother!

thanks- that's very helpful both

sounds like an upgrade of the router to better/?faster hardware is not the way to go

white-list might be the way to go as all users devices are known

Hi Ed, can't help I'm afraid but I had a similar problem when my TalkTalk (home) modem/router failed recently. Whilst waiting for TT to send replacement (a D-Link) I bought a Netgear N300 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router. After setting it up the speed was very poor, down to 1mg instead of my usual 3-4 (bbc iPlayer had no chance to play). Persevered but eventually changed to my new (cheaper) D-Link which gave me 3-4 mg straight away. I don't know what was causing the slow speed as I reset the Netgear to the TT recommended settings. Hope you get sorted.

Dave

My advice would be not to use the router firewall but have a dowloaded one such as Comodo which includes anti-virus, this has a variety of settings for security. One point you do not mention who is your ISP, surely they should replace your router.

The OP also does not actually mention if the firewall on the router is turned on or not (it is a separate entity to the WIFI encryption mentioned).

I agree that you should try disabling the firewall, if it is activated.

The OP also does not actually mention if the firewall on the router is turned on or not (it is a separate entity to the WIFI encryption mentioned).

I agree that you should try disabling the firewall, if it is activated.

thanks all

the OP is at or beyond the margins of his technical knowledge, so reference to firewall in threadheader may not have been expressed quite right..the big difference in performance is between wireless security settings WPA2 PSK [AES] and NONE

I will have a chance to tinker some more later this week

I think that I may have an issue with our router as well. I am not up to speed on the technology of how these things work. Our laptops/router set up was working fine, but some time ago the videos we were attempting to watch just spend most of the time buffering! We have not changed our ISP, computers, router or anything else. The videos just do not want to run correctly now.

Larry, an updated virus checker that insists on checking each byte of the video as it arrives?

Niels

I've had a router become unreasonably slow when all it really wanted is a reboot. So now if something isn't quite working that's the first thing I try.

Most routers allow you to interface with them via a web page. Bring up the router on your favourite web browser, search for the restart option (can be hidden in menus) and try that. You'll have to be patient for half a minute or so while it does its thing and starts up again. Obviously you won't have a connection to the outside world until the router has restarted and renegotiated a connection with your isp.

Definitely worth trying since it doesn't take long and isn't hard.

Andrea

I am not sure what all has transpired on my computer/router/updates/ISP/etc., but the videos are now running with no apparent buffering at all!!!

I think some automatic updates to my operating system must have solved the problem. I am scratching my head wondering what caused "the cure"!

Anyway, now the videos seem to run straight through with no buffering whatsoever.

If I might chime in for a second- if it's a new wireless router, you may want to go into your configuration page, (usually typing 192.168.1.1, or something like that in your browser address bar)

Once you get in there, make sure the router is set to work on 802.11n, or mixed, and not set to 802.11g, 802.11b or anything like that.

Ok, if you're pretty sure it's the security, then there's a way around that too. You can turn off the WEP and WPA and all of that, but you need some security. So what you need to do is set up the MAC filter on your router. Basically, if you the MAC filter on, only devices whose MAC addresses that you have manually entered into the router will be able to use the router.

Take a look at http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-MAC-Address-of-Your-Computer to find your MAC address.

This allows you to use the router without a security key, however, you must type the MAC address of every device that you want to be able to use the router into the configuration. This can take a few moments, but it's not difficult at all.

However, don't let your router run without any type of security- either use one of the wireless security schemes WPA, WEP, etc. or use the MAC filter.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back