• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Prostaff Binoculars 10x43 (1 Viewer)

Brock,

Now that Paul has been told by Nikon that the Prostaff 5 is also phase coated I'm puzzling over what technical differentiation there is between the P5 and P7 . From the web site the P7 has 3.3' closer focus, 1.9mm more ER, 0.4" longer and is listed at $60 more but I don't know why.

David

David:

That is an interesting question, and maybe someone from Nikon would
like to respond.

I have the Prostaff 7 in 8x42, and find it to be a nice entry level model.
They have nice armor and handling, and the focuser is smooth and
the fit and finish is very good.

The PS 7 has aluminum prism coatings, and maybe the PS 5, has lesser
coatings on both the prisms and also on the lenses. There must be
some differences, and that may be the area, I'm thinking.

Once the PS 5 reaches the stores, I am sure someone will
make a comparison.

The Prostaff models, both have a wider FOV than the lower Monarchs,
and so I find that a nice selling point, and why they are a good choice
for the money.

Jerry

Good point, Bob. Nikon does seem rather willy nilly about listing phase coatings on their bin lines. I know for sure that the Nikon Trailblazer, which the P5 is replacing, was not phase-coated, but they were cheaper than the P5s.

Hopefully, not listing phase coatings for the P5 was an oversight, because given the small cost of adding phase coatings, and the fact that the P5 costs $50 more than the Trailblazer, it should have phase coatings.

http://binoculars.toptenreviews.com/binoculars-review/nikon-trailblazer-atb-8x42-review.html

<B>

Brock,

At this state or stage of binocular technology I don't think there is any good reason for Nikon not to have phase coatings on any of the roof prism binoculars it sells under it's own name.

Bob

Last edited:
It is probably based on the fact that the lower the number assigned to the different Nikon binocular series the cheaper they are priced: ie; Monarch 7s cost more than Monarch 5s so the new Prostaff 5s should cost less than Prostaff 7s.

Just speculation on my part though.

Bob

Bob,

You are correct. 3 will always indicate entry-level in that line and as you move up you will increase in price point as well as quality. This number system will only exist in the PROSTAFF and MONARCH lines.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/PROSTAFF/index.page

Best,
Mike Freiberg
Nikon

I asked Nikon whether the Prostaff 5 had aluminum coatings and got this response this morning:

"The only binoculars that come in a aluminum reflective is the Prostaff 7 and Monarch 7 which does not come in a 50 objective. The Prostaff have a multi color coating."

Can someone enlighten me as to what that might mean?

Thanks.

I asked Nikon whether the Prostaff 5 had aluminum coatings and got this response this morning:

"The only binoculars that come in a aluminum reflective is the Prostaff 7 and Monarch 7 which does not come in a 50 objective. The Prostaff have a multi color coating."

Thanks.

Paul:

The Nikon Monarch 7 has di-electric prism coatings and
fully multicoated lenses. The Prostaff 7 has aluminum prism
coatings and also fully multicoated lenses.

The Prostaff 5 is new, and from Nikons own site and sellers sites
all I can find is that they have "multilayer coated lenses, without a
mention of the type of prism coatings.
There is a difference between "multicoated" and "fully multicoated"
lens coatings. Maybe someone can offer an explanation.

I hope this helps, but it is not complete.

Jerry

It sounds like Jerry nailed it and the person you spoke with at Nikon confused the prism coating with the other antireflective coatings on the other glass surfaces.

Thanks.

Paul,

Good question. I thought aluminum was the lowest level of reflective coatings available? The P5 must have some type of reflective coatings or the light transmission would suffer.

The usual progression is from aluminum to sliver to dielectric coatings although some companies have their own proprietary names for them.

Good to hear the P5 has phase coatings, I don't think the Trailblazers did.

The first Nikon roof I owned was the Japanese-made 8x36 Sporter 1, which had a very good build quality for an entry level price point. It was also the first binocular I owned that had twist-up eyecups, but it didn't have phase coatings and comparing the image to my porros, I could see that the image was "softer".

Brock

Last edited:
Could be, Frank, but I specifically asked what they used for the reflective coating layer on the prisms.

And Brock wrote: "although some companies have their own proprietary names for them." That's what I wonder: whether Nikon is using something else for their prism coating.

It sounds like Jerry nailed it and the person you spoke with at Nikon confused the prism coating with the other antireflective coatings on the other glass surfaces.

Paul:

The Nikon Monarch 7 has di-electric prism coatings and
fully multicoated lenses. The Prostaff 7 has aluminum prism
coatings and also fully multicoated lenses.

The Prostaff 5 is new, and from Nikons own site and sellers sites
all I can find is that they have "multilayer coated lenses, without a
mention of the type of prism coatings.
There is a difference between "multicoated" and "fully multicoated"
lens coatings. Maybe someone can offer an explanation.

I hope this helps, but it is not complete.

Jerry

"Fully multicoated" binoculars have multiple coatings on all of the glass to air surfaces of the lenses in the binocular. "Multicoated" binooculars do not.

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/faq.htm

It's in there somewhere. (5th question down;))

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back